How much would you pay for a 2UZ swap 'kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UZJ40

OEM(ish)
SILVER Star
Threads
A while back, a good friend of mine swapped an LS1 into his e36 M3 with the help of this kit-

Vorshlag E36 LS1 - Complete Stage 0 Kit - Vorshlag LLC

After driving around my 2UZ swapped 40 (see link in sig) for almost a year now, and putting over 2,000 miles on it, I am extremely satisfied with the driveability, reliability, and smoothness of the setup. I got countless responses and comments on my build thread about that engine swap, and how many people desire it.

The 2UZs are plentiful, as they were in Tundra's, Sequoia's, 4Runners, GX470's, LX470s, and maybe a couple others. The 4 spd autos are also plentiful.

I have been contemplating putting 'kits' together for someone that wants this setup in their 60 or 80. The reason I'm leaning toward the 60 and 80, and not the 40, is because the wide range of differences and modifications on 40's. It would be extremely difficult to accommodate everyone.

This kit would contain:

ECU
Engine harness that's already gone through with minimal connections for power, ground, and accessories
Engine mounts
Transmission X member
Headers
Driveshafts
Radiator hoses
A/C lines ready to bolt up to your evap/condenser
Shifter/linkage
Intake tube with OEM Toyota bolt-in air box
Throttle/likage (depending on year desired)
INSTRUCTIONS

*Optional
Evap equipment
Exhaust kit w/muffler, cat, and o2 bungs, and o2 sensors

You would have to supply the engine and transmission. I would want this to be as simple and painless as possible, and leave the guesswork out of it. The engine mounts can either be bolted in or weld in (we will have both options).

So the big question is-

What would you pay? What else should be in the kit? What shouldn't?
If there's enough interest, and the price point makes sens, I'll move forward with it.
Keep in mind, I paid about $1,000 for my 2UZ out of an 03 Tundra with 53,000 miles, and I paid $1,200 for my a750f with 7,000 miles.

Thanks

20151020_182226_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

Last edited:
Whats the solution for the transmission? Would this only work with the A343?

In the real world probably around $6.5k for the base kit, another $1700 for the exhaust with O2 sensors, and another $250 for evap with brackets, hoses, etc.

But in mud dollars maybe $500 for everything.

Last edited:
Good question. If there is enough interest, I will put the a750 5 spd auto behind it. Otherwise, yes, it will be the a343.

Also, these will be pre-VVTI 2UZ's.

Any reason you can't use the donor headers? If I were purchasing something like this, I would skip the headers and exhaust equipment. Driveshafts would be nice to have as "optional" since a lot of us can get this kind of thing done locally.

I wouldn't buy a kit, so I don't really know what the cost should be. Maybe $2500-3000?

It seems like a lot of effort for a small gain. It would probably be 6k-10k to get all the parts and get it roadworthy (more if you don't do your own work). Even then, you're only gaining around 60hp and 40 lb/ft. I'd rather have the same kit available for the LS.

It seems like a lot of effort for a small gain. It would probably be 6k-10k to get all the parts and get it roadworthy (more if you don't do your own work). Even then, you're only gaining around 60hp and 40 lb/ft. I'd rather have the same kit available for the LS.

Its a good swap and options are nice to have. Consider that Slee will ask for $25,000 for this same swap and the fact that you get to keep it in the family...it might not be a bad option if the price is right.

Many guys (including me) don't want GM engines, and they'd trade some horsepower for that. Have you personally driven a 2UZ 80?

Many guys (including me) don't want GM engines, and they'd trade some horsepower for that. Have you personally driven a 2UZ 80?
I have not. And I'm not knocking it at all. You asked about interest and what someone would be willing to pay and I'm saying that for the same money and the same amount of work, you could swap in a 6.0 and gain much more power. If folks would rather stay Toyota, that's cool. It's all academic to me as I like my 1fz just fine. No offense intended, I just wanted to be honest. I see too many folks that go into debt making parts that no one buys.

My guess is there is more money in selling a manual or instructions with part lists for $50-$100 than there is for an entire kit. JMO. I know there are some purists that want Toyota only, but more and more people seem to be jumping on the GM wagon than on the Toyota only wagon.

Looking from the outside in, seems like a lot of work for what is probably very little money.

Eh, selling the instructions don't really work because once it's purchased, the information gets shared anyways. My thought is to offer an LS version of a kit and keep it price conscious enough but also let yourself make some cash for engineering a lot of the work out already.

2UZ is smooth and Toyota but overall gain is rather small as mentioned. Now that we have the super charger back I don't see the 2UZ as a compelling option with amount of money and work involved. LS swap on the other hand makes me drool!

My guess is there is more money in selling a manual or instructions with part lists for $50-$100 than there is for an entire kit.

As a dedicated DIYer, I would buy a well documented printed manual with a PDF version.

Sell the support, not the stuff. Your profit will be much stronger, and you will have time to work on an LS Swap manual too. Being the go to guy servicing all these 80 series swaps that will be money.

Having the custom stuff sourced and available if needed is nice. A La Carte would make the individual pieces more expensive, but that only increases your profits.

I'm curious about how a 2UZ will go into an '85 fj60. Is it possible to mate the 2UZ with the H55F transmission?

seeing how the LS swap would be cheaper and make more power i dont see the point in the 4.7 honestly. if you want to keep it all in the family why not go 5.7 and get some real power? but even keeping it "all in the family" is the dumbest idea ever. all the companies buy parts for different vendors. denso this, aisan that... most of the things in your toyota arent even made by toyota.

seeing how the LS swap would be cheaper and make more power i dont see the point in the 4.7 honestly. if you want to keep it all in the family why not go 5.7 and get some real power? keeping it "all in the family" is the dumbest idea ever. all the companies buy parts for different vendors. denso this, aisan that... most of the things in your toyota arent even made by toyota.

5.7 is HUGE motor, much more complex wiring, and cost 3 times as much most likely. 5.7 is just too expensive currently maybe one day. 4.7 is a great motor like jetranger has stated, plenty of power, not LS power, but plenty, if you compare numbers the LS will win arguments all day, but if you drive 4.7 swapped cruiser it's not like your going to say "wish I put an LS instead"....more like " this is f'n awesome!!!" they are both v8s with v8 power, night and day differences either way.

You do your LS swap and we'll keep this discussion on track for those who are interested in the Toyota V8 options.

Is the 3UR-FE engine (for the 80 series) something that would work?
Edit: I see others above had the same thought

but even keeping it "all in the family" is the dumbest idea ever. all the companies buy parts for different vendors. denso this, aisan that... most of the things in your toyota arent even made by toyota.

LOL

so you have a toyota made transmission in your truck? my point in valid. you can buy plenty of trucks with you choice of engine from the factory. the 4.7 is a good engine but the LS is a better option all around. cheaper, more common, better aftermarket support, NO TIMING BELT... i can go on and on but the point is there would be a very limited market for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom