What would you buy for a rainy day? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seeing as more and more parts are now becoming NLA from Toyota, i was thinking it might be a good idea to start buying some items off of trucks that are being parted out while i still can, I'm making my own list, but i wanted to see what other mud members would buy for a rainy day? Maybe a back up engine computer, a backup MAF, trans oil cooler, or maybe something as simple as a plastic windshield washer tank? What would be included on your list?

I really miss the NLA thread.

If I didn't have a new one swapped in already, here's a list for a '97 I'd source:
  • 105 power steering gear box with pitman arm
  • New distributor, the whole thing
  • Cruise control actuator
  • All window motors and regulators
  • All door/hatch lock actuators (except fronts are NLA)
  • Short block
  • Head
  • EGR/VSV everything (important for those in CA)
  • Everything in the 1FZ-FE to build a new engine
  • Rear driveshaft
  • Engine mounts, trans mount
  • Engine wire harness
  • Exhaust system, especially the cats
  • Windshield motor
  • MAF in case Landtank doesn't sell his
  • Diff lock actuators
  • Transfer case switches
  • Body mounts, all of them
  • Intake tube
  • Rear glass gasket
  • Rear hatch seal
  • Hood struts
  • Rear hatch struts
  • +many more
I love it when gas station stop armchair car enthusiast quarterbacks quip how bulletproof Land Cruisers are. Yea, for the original owner over a quarter century ago!

Last edited:
Interesting topic but probably evolve toward uselessness like the NLA thread to include literally almost everything.

I have a rainy day VAF and pair of O2 sensors.

Seeing as more and more parts are now becoming NLA from Toyota, i was thinking it might be a good idea to start buying some items off of trucks that are being parted out while i still can, I'm making my own list, but i wanted to see what other mud members would buy for a rainy day? Maybe a back up engine computer, a backup MAF, trans oil cooler, or maybe something as simple as a plastic windshield washer tank? What would be included on your list?

Any aftermarket trans cooler would suffice

Yes, my primary objective with a rainy day inventory would be for critical links that have no available solution, either OEM/Denso or aftermarket.

A range of firearms, ammunition, and anti-aircraft munitions.
Food, rations, supplies, fuel, and bug-out equipment.

I have not all, but a lot of the obvious mechanical bases covered. But the real s*** are all of the little interior bits which will become scarce very fast.

As an example, I recently replaced both window motors and regulators for the front doors so I placed an order for the master switch assembly as well. Those will all eventually get janky and once you bust one of those you'll be hosed if that is NLA.

I wish a really smart 80 Series fan would calculate how much it would cost to buy one of every part still available like that guy did with the Taco Bell menu!!!

Or maybe I should ask @COYS, I think he is already secretly working on replacing his entire truck with the complete list!

Since I plan to drive an 80 till the end, I will be very envious in a few years of the things he thought to change that never crossed my mind!

I wish a really smart 80 Series fan would calculate how much it would cost to buy one of every part still available like that guy did with the Taco Bell menu!!!

Or maybe I should ask @COYS, I think he is already secretly working on replacing his entire truck with the complete list!

Since I plan to drive an 80 till the end, I will be very envious in a few years of the things he thought to change that never crossed my mind!
LMAO

I like my Google Sheet. It's precioussssssssss.

"I wish a really smart 80 Series fan would calculate how much it would cost to buy one of every part---"

IIRC Cruiserdan did this ? 20 years ago, came up with a number in the range of $200,000, so today you would probably have to double that number.

Much cheaper to find another 80.

Problem is once you have that spare 80 you start thinking about how you're going to rebuild it.

"I wish a really smart 80 Series fan would calculate how much it would cost to buy one of every part---"

IIRC Cruiserdan did this ? 20 years ago, came up with a number in the range of $200,000, so today you would probably have to double that number.

Much cheaper to find another 80.

Problem is once you have that spare 80 you start thinking about how you're going to rebuild it.
Seems I remember that, maybe WOPR was correct?

A STRANGE GAME. THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS NOT TO PLAY.. ... HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?

I recently replaced the instrument cluster lens for $30 while replacing all the bulbs. Good visual bang for the buck with 351k on mine and seems like it could go NLA within a few years.

Agree with the cluster lens, lots of impact vs dollar spent. All the elastomeric items around glass and doors is a high priority item. You can only do so much with a tube of black silicone. We know the aftermarket windshield gaskets are a non-starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom