Your best Bush fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I'd give something back to the forum that I've learnt a lot from- so here it is my temporary gear ;lever retaining setup.

While wheeling on Stradbroke Island on the weekend I had a bit of a gearbox malfunction - the gear lever came away from the gearbox. The cup that holds the lever to the bearbox had broken one of the retaining tabs, and the spring had popped it out. I could put the selector ball into the gearbox and carry on as long as I held it in place with some downward pressure.

My first thought was to find a drill and drill two more holes 90 degrees round frm the original, but I didn't have a drill. So the solution was two hose clamps and a dozen cable ties. It worked a treat and meant I could keep driving round the island all weekend.
006.jpg
007.jpg

Last edited:
I was out wheeling and the engine just died. Narrowed it down to no spark due to the metal piece on top of the rotor came off. The piece that contacts the point coming in from the coil. By luck I was able to find it down in the distributor. I re attached it with bubble gum and it was close enough to allow the spark to get to the plugs. Got it running and headed straight to the nearest road and autopart store. That is my best bush fix. I had the same think as yours happen to my cj8 when my son was driving it. We had to tow it home and I welded the top plate back together. Its design would not allow for a creative solution like yours. Nice job and gutsy to keep wheeling.

I have a vague memory of seeing an ad for it on TV years ago and I filed one certain "bush fix" away for later retrieval...

They were driving an old brown Ford sedan along some s***ty track in Arnhem Land when they had a massive split in the sidewall of the tyre. No spare tyre so they just made the split bigger, ripped out the tube and packed the tyre with bark and spinifex grass and kept driving.

Time to add a tomahawk and some fencing wire to the spares kit lol

they had a massive split in the sidewall of the tyre. No spare tyre so they just made the split bigger, ripped out the tube and packed the tyre with bark and spinifex grass and kept driving.

Time to add a tomahawk and some fencing wire to the spares kit lol

A big fish hook and some heavy test line will stitch together a side wall very well if it's already got a tube in it.

Had the hard line to the right rear brake snap while 200 miles from home. Bent and crimped the broken end of the hard line so that no fluid would leak then refilled the brake system with water. Field fix worked well enough to get back until I could make the proper repair and flush and refill the lines with brake fluid. Was also towing a 14' boat at the time but had no problems with stopping, even with only 3 functioning brakes.

OE shackle cracked through at both bolts.

Hammered some flat bar straight with the back of a hatchet. Used an air drill (with the onboard air) to drill a couple of holes. And then bolted it on.

Before driving home, I also used the hatchet to bang out a bung in the rim. Then reinflated the tire using the air again.

:D

busted a tire off a 67 gladiator. fell a tree, and used bailing wire to attach it to the bottom of the axle as a ski. made it back to the shop. (we were on private property)

Broken frame on the trail...... Passenger side front rear spring hanger ripped out of the frame..... held back in place with a tie strap and a block of wood for tension lol:grinpimp:
IMG00014.jpg

IMG00014.jpg

some guys i knew used to go 4w driving at night here in the mountains close to home, i've heard that water or even milk make good replacements for brake and clutch fluid.
about a month ago while out hunting in the cruiser the small clutch return spring beside the slave cylinder broke, so i heated the end of it up with the gas fired stove and re bent the hook part and stretched it a little to make it the right shape....its still in the car now!
I've also heard that used 22 magnum cases ( or similar bullet cases ) work well for fuses

no verification as i wasn't there, but the guy that told me the story was very honest, imho.

he was the son of missionaries and grew up in places like africa and brazil and was a HUGE impact on my life of wrenching, but when we were dealing with a severe lack of main bearings and a very undersized crank, he told me that when he was about 8 or 9, their fj55 had issues in the outback. inspection found the main bearings seized to the crank. after sanding them off with emery cloth, his dad used a chunk of leather from his belt as bearing material to get them back home.

same trick worked (only using actual bearings instead of a leather belt ;) )on the nuclearlemon, which i ran with an undersized crank for two years, doing three cross country trips, one towing a trailer. then, used that trick again when romer's dizzy walked and seized his motor.

i think my personal best was when my throttle cable snapped at the pedal on my first cruiser and i pulled the stereo, ran the cable through the stereo hole and clamped vice grips on it...instant hand throttle.

Years ago on a hunting trip to Monache Meadow the tongue on the utility trailer snapped. Lashed a log to the broken tongue with rope and parachute cord, made the 90 mile trip home with no problems, just funny looks from other drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom