Fix or Sell: '67 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We've had this Landcruiser for about 20 years. Modified it with 4 wheel discs (Poser mod), H42 4 speed with 3 speed transfer case, rebuilt F.5 engine, DUI distributor, Howell fuel injection, Paki soft top (top needs replacement), 33x9.5x15 BFG's on Toyota steelies, Nason's Dune Beige 416 paint (in about 2009), SOR seat cushions and covers, Man a Fre 4" lift with OME shocks, new shackles... bunch of stuff I can't remember.

Anyways, was running it at idle trying to figure out an issue with the fuel injection when the engine seized. By seized I mean just stopped. No weird noises, no bellowing smoke, nothing. I thought maybe the distributor wasn't seated and not turning the oil pump so I checked and it was seated. My efforts to turn it over have failed, not even a slight turn. Thinking something internal let loose, which is odd because it was rebuilt by a shop in Bakersfield about 13 years ago, has a good 25,000 miles on it without ever a problem.

So, I'm at a crossroads. We plan to move in about a year (retirement), are downsizing and I had planned on selling it anyways. I really don't want to take on a big project nor do I want to tie up a bunch more cash into it. Was thinking of a 5.3L conversion but even with that I'm looking at a pretty big investment.

Not sure what a non-running FJ40 goes for these days (have been looking for a replacement 2F but they are getting hard to find). Any advice on pricing it as is would be appreciated. I figure if someone is looking for a project that involved an engine swap this would be a great starting point. Most of the heavy lifting is done. As for rust, there's just a little in the rear sill, picture shows it under the paint.
IMG_4139.jpg
IMG_4135.jpg
IMG_4136.jpg
IMG_4137.jpg
IMG_4140.jpg
Thanks for your help in advance.

Pat

PS a search under my name on MUD will explain any mods over the years. It has all been documented on this great website. I do have the original hard top, which was never painted to match.

That’s a nice rig with all the mods everybody wants. I would pull plugs and get a borescope to see what’s up. Pull valve cover and inspect. See if u can turn it over with plugs out? it's Going to be worth more running.

Wow, such a sad day. Pull the plugs and squirt a few cc of marvels mystery oil in each cylinder and let it soak for a week. The big breaker bar on the crank pully nut - BFH impact on the handle if needed. If that doesn't work, then she likely really stuck.

What are you planning on replacing it with? How much do you think you will spend doing this? Will it cost less to trouble shoot what maybe wrong with what you already have?

What are you planning on replacing it with? How much do you think you will spend doing this? Will it cost less to trouble shoot what maybe wrong with what you already have?
My issue is time and working a new job that involves a lot of travel. I just don't have the time to chase it down. Having a vehicle partially disassembled while we are getting the place ready for sale is a no go. I know I'll take a big hit on value but if it's going to cost me 5 or 6 thousand to convert it to a Vortec then I'd rather subtract that from the value and let someone else have the fun of building what they want. For the last 4 or 5 years the poor thing sits in the garage except for the occasional grocery run. This thing deserves better.

Your 40 looks like it's in great shape. I think you need to step away from it for a bit. It sounds like you got on your plate. When I was selling my house I rented a storage locker for the 40 and it allowed me to empty the clutter out of the house too. I'm a fan of SBC 40's, it's my engine of choice. Imo, I'm not sure I'd buy it and put a V8 in it. I'd probably fix the engine and I'd have to flip it, because it has a stk 6. Condition depending. With a locked up engine the value takes a hit, with a SBC It'll take hit from original, a rebuilt 6 likey adds value. The engine needs to be pulled and diagnosed, then a desicion should be made. On a V8 swap there's a lot of additional expenses over and above the big ticket items. The little stuff and finish work will nickle and dime you, and will probably take some time to do it right.

I would try using the either the external oil line or the line going to the rockers maybe both and pumping in a can or two of Kroil, $40. Maybe a simple cheap electric fuel pump would do the trick, a few minutes at a time if it goes in to easy. Maybe rig up a pressure vessel if it goes in too hard. The goal would be get the Kroil to gearings and let it soak.

You can pull the plugs and dist, prime the oil pump. Put it in 3rd or 4th gear and rock it back a fourth to try and free it up. Allowing the engine to rotate backwards might unlock it.

Your 40 looks like it's in great shape. I think you need to step away from it for a bit. It sounds like you got on your plate. When I was selling my house I rented a storage locker for the 40 and it allowed me to empty the clutter out of the house too. I'm a fan of SBC 40's, it's my engine of choice. Imo, I'm not sure I'd buy it and put a V8 in it. I'd probably fix the engine and I'd have to flip it, because it has a stk 6. Condition depending. With a locked up engine the value takes a hit, with a SBC It'll take hit from original, a rebuilt 6 likey adds value. The engine needs to be pulled and diagnosed, then a desicion should be made. On a V8 swap there's a lot of additional expenses over and above the big ticket items. The little stuff and finish work will nickle and dime you, and will probably take some time to do it right
Stepping away from it is probably the best advice. Frustration always leads to poor decisions. Thanks.

You can pull the plugs and dist, prime the oil pump. Put it in 3rd or 4th gear and rock it back a fourth to try and free it up. Allowing the engine to rotate backwards might unlock it.
Been rocking the hell out of it as suggested. I'll start on getting the engine out this weekend. Appreciate the advice from everyone.

Pull the clutch cover and make sure nothing came loose or stuck in that area. I had a elaborate mouse/rat nest bind up a f motor on me once… worth a check.

Most likely a spun main bearing, pull the pan! If the crank survived, new bearings and your down the road again!
I've always appreciated the optimism from the folks on MUD. I've got a long history with this vehicle so I'll work on pulling the engine/transmission/transfer case and see what's going on. I've got a small leak in the transmission and the clutch slave cylinder is leaking so it'll give me a chance to clean things up. I have basically changed the oil and put gas in it the last 15 or so years so it could use a refresh. If the engine is toast then I'll look at alternatives. Staying original is a ship that sailed years ago so that isn't a factor. The F.5 in it is the third engine it has had. The original F was toast when I bought it, the replacement F (a rebuilt fork lift engine) lasted a couple years and departed this life from a failed oil pump and the F.5, well... TBD.
Was discussing the 5.3L Vortec option with a friend yesterday and he called back after we had hung up and said he had one for me, with the correct wiring harness etc. etc. Belonged to our helicopter mechanic who had a project that never went anywhere and wanted to get rid of it cheap. So, the age old dilemma: keep the underpowered F which is actually worth more at resale, or put something that drives a hell of a lot better and is more reliable. The way things are going it won't be sold until my ashes are sprinkled in Montana at the family place so why not run what I want? I'll at least go look at it after Christmas.
Yoda is part of the family, my boy grew up in it and learned to drive a manual in it. My dad and I had an epic road trip in it (that's when I decided to upgrade the brakes), and the wife and I spent years camping and fishing the Sequoia National Forest in it. It has never been comfortable on long trips so I'll work on that to.
How can you get rid of something that holds so many memories? WTF was I thinking.
100_3096.jpg
CIMG0339.JPG
CIMG0394.JPG
CIMG0801.JPG

CIMG2657.JPG

A day the boy and I played hooky and went fishing on Peppermint Creek

CIMG1564.JPG
CIMG1561.JPG

Dog house to labs and shepherds
IMG_0554.JPG

Navarro River trip. 1000 miles up and back.
untitled7.png

Yeah, this never happened. Looked good though.
IMG_0773.JPG

There ya go! Like I said I love my V8 40's. You might consider power steering too, if you don't have it already. Id consider a 5 speed too. Make it an enjoyable driver.

Last edited:
I second the spun bearing, don't ask how I know...or at least that would be my first and second guess.
You asked what it's worth in this condition (possibly with a spun bearing), a lot less than if we're running obviously. I would give call your local mechanic and find out what options you have and to give you an idea on how much to deduct from the selling price, just idea. Even in this condition you would not have trouble selling it. It's a really desirable 40. Good luck.

There ya go! Like I said I love my V8 40's. You might consider power steering too, if you don't have it already. Id consider a 5 speed too. Make it an enjoyable driver.
Been looking at power steering options. If I do it I'd need everything most likely, including the steering column and steering wheel. I plan to run a slightly larger diameter tire (it has 33's now) to gear it up and will keep the 4 speed. A 5 speed would be nice but I've already had to modify driveshafts and linkages once and don't really want to screw with it again.

So for a '67 what are my options? Saginaw obviously, but I'd like to hit the EASY button on this one mod if possible. I'm not going to run huge tires. I'll keep the stock steelies look.

How can you get rid of something that holds so many memories? WTF was I thinking.

This was always the answer.

I have two early 40's with F engines. It would be hard to justify spending the money to rebuild them with the cost of much better alternatives being just slightly more if you have the ability to self perform the swap. Best of luck getting it back on the road, that truck belongs in your family forever!

You might have to alter the driveshafts if you go to a V8 depending on the adapters. Usually the driveline is moved forward to clear the valve covers. Or, I think the Marks 4 speed adapter keeps everything where it's at. I not familiar with that setup. I run AA stuff on 1 40(NV4500/stk 4speed case), and Novak on the other (SM420/Dana 20). A GM V8 setup allows for multiple choices of trannys. Either adapt to the Toyota 4 or 5 speed speed or use a gm trans and adapt to the tcase. From what I know today, I would opt for a split case instead of the weaker 1 piece. There are aftermarket gear sets for the split case so you can play with lower low ranges and not effect high range gearing . I'd adapt a later column and then scout/fj60/fj80 box. Both my Cruisers have scout boxes, but they're getting hard to find. I'd probably lean towards FJ80 or possibly 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom