Fix or Sell: '67 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not sure if you have the newer 2f block(79 or newer) but if you do, one could easily bolt on fj60 ps pump. As far as to what options you have will depend on what size tire you want use in the future. I think 33 or smaller, a factory set would work. Locating a fj40 ps gear box are rare and when you do find them they are high in price. However, there is a way around that. Use a ps gearbox from 80-85 4x4 Toyota (solid axle) as a donor. You need to purchase a ps gearbox casing for a fj40. The 4x4 and 40 internals are identical. It's just has a geometry difference between them. And I want to say a 72 or newer steering shaft will have to be shortened. If you use the pre72 40 that my take little bit more effort. I have not done pre 72 yet. I'm not sure if the tower the ps gearbox that it sits on has to be replaced, my guess is it will have to be swapped to 72 or newer also not sure on steering wheel. If you go this route its mostly bolt on type work and you have a factory setup. Edit: Lol I saw your title.... a 67. Still doing just more work but not a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Yeah, I pretty much went thru all of the stages of grief in the first page of this thread. It's always good to step back, as was suggested, and re-evaluate. Any problems I've ever had with this FJ40, and there have been many, have been reasoned out here by much smarter people than me. Hope everyone has a safe and Merry Christmas. I'll post what I find with the engine.
CIMG0805.JPG

So glad to see you turnaround, I was going to offer to store it for you until you got your wits back in line. Granted, we’re a few states apart, but I knew deep down you’d come around.

Best of luck!
Ian

I’m running fj80 box with a stock 5.3 (nudge nudge) pump. It’s a joy to drive around on 35’s. If I ever move up to 38 or above tire, I might wish I had chosen Saginaw( but I could just set up ram assist pretty easy). Fj80/60 boxes are a lot less invasive than the Saginaw. Pretty straightforward install once you do the research.

Everything in the clutch and pressure plate area looks ok with the covers off, the oil was pretty dark for only having a couple hundred miles on it but no big pieces fell out of the oil drain. Not even any shavings. Got it pretty well stripped but still have to pull the seats and fuel tank.
IMG_4158.jpeg

My thoughts on a spun main bearing, is it can happen suddenly , make no noise, and leave the oil clean!!( 35 year auto tech) so not a newbie!! Why not pull the pan( 20 minutes to find out the issue?)
I’ll pull the engine first. I hate working on the floor on my back. I guess I’m getting old.

I have no doubt that you’re right though.

Spun the #1 connecting rod bearing. The damn thing was seized up tighter than Dick’s hatband. I loosened all the main bearing journals, still wouldn’t spin.
IMG_4198.jpeg

IMG_4201.jpeg

IMG_4199.jpeg

IMG_4202.jpeg

Once I backed off on the connecting rods it would rotate. Of course I started with #6.
To those of you that chose the category ’Spun Bearing’ you can redeem your chicken dinner at Kelcy’s Diner in Tehachapi, CA.

Now, the big question. Rebuild or go big?
IMG_4203.jpeg

Spun the #1 connecting rod bearing. The damn thing was seized up tighter than Dick’s hatband. I loosened all the main bearing journals, still wouldn’t spin.View attachment 3517707
View attachment 3517710
View attachment 3517711
View attachment 3517715
Once I backed off on the connecting rods it would rotate. Of course I started with #6.
To those of you that chose the category ’Spun Bearing’ you can redeem your chicken dinner at Kelcy’s Diner in Tehachapi, CA.
I’m in Stallion, it would be nice to meet if you’re in Tehachapi.

Any theory as to ‘why’?
No idea but all of the others including the mains had plenty of oil and looked great. The cam looks fine from the bottom and the bottom sides of the cylinders look good.

I’m in Stallion, it would be nice to meet if you’re in Tehachapi.
I’m right over the hill from you 21NDone in Hart Flat. That would be great 👍🏼.

When you're this far in I'd have the crank turned, polished, and throw it back together with some oversized bearings.

I bought a GT6 basket-case with a rebuilt engine. I threw it back together and a few months down the road it spun a rod bearing... the clearances were wrong because the rod caps were swapped between 3 & 4. Someone messed up and put it together wrong. If I had to make a guess the rod clearance was tight on your rod, and it ultimately spun as a result. Only difference is mine happened faster because the cap was more than a fingernail thickness off being aligned... so it's fate was sealed.

Now, the big question. Rebuild or go big?
Rebuild. Nothing catastrophic found. Save your pennies for going big if it really blows up later on down the road.

Hell, measure the crank, pollish, and fit new bearings!!( you can polish the crank without removing the crank, measure it, and hopefully fit the same size bearings? Done it a few times and no issues!! Or do what I would do and Ls swap it!!🤣

Glad you remove the engine, it's a lot of work but it's so much easier. Stuff happens, take your precautions, inspect the cam and lifters and if you have to spend a little more thats ok. Like replacing the oil pump...you already there. I'm not sure how many miles this engine has but you due diligence on it. Anyhow, it seems you have a good plan going already.

Last edited:
Amazing how things can snowball. Since the engine and transmission are out I might as well address a small rust issue in the rear sill, and the firewall looks like hell, and that damn 57 year old wiring is brittle as hell and has a thousand splices, and the interior sucks….. I’m not going anywhere for at least a year so maybe a 5 speed…,

So I called Georg at Valley Hybrids. His suggestion after a nice chat about what I want to be able to do with this: NV4500 in front of a split case being pushed by a 5.3L. Maybe do the power steering since it’s stripped down. Tub comes off tomorrow so I can clean it up. Will also rewire it. If this is going to stay in the family then I want to be able to take long trips in it, a bit of overlanding. The big thing with the NV4500 is I want to be able to cruise comfortably at freeway speed (65-70) and not feel beat up when I get there. I’ve done the stock thing for 20 years. Time to really enjoy it.

IMG_4224.jpeg

IMG_4223.jpeg

72576282825__62C62FF5-3B26-4777-8274-07E32EDF61DA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom