Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So cam bearings 2 and 3 going in today. 1 might wait till I pull and replace timing plate gasket... which fool me, it already has the torx screws. Someone want 3? $9 includes shipping. :)

And when you really need a bendy straw on your brake clean and they only have a straight straw you get creative. Pulled the one off the WD40 and put on the brake clean can.

image.jpg

1DD2B17E-8DDE-4062-9C65-4412B7B8024F.jpeg

3 is in. Thank god for a patient and very wise friend! 2 is on its way.

2 is in. Less fussing. Was in far faster.
Gotta go for longer screws for my puller to take off the crank gear... I need 5-5.5” length.

Phew! Ignore most of that. No need to pull the crank gear. Hole in the plate is large enough to fit over the gear. @Godwin, glad I did a quick search and found your comments. Thank you!

AF72AEC4-DA9A-4A47-B5E4-182B6BD02A13.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry no pics of bearings going in. I was under the truck and could have but I had my hand up in the block and a flashlight in my mouth mumbling to my friend.
For #3 I ended up having him under and me tapping on the pipe. I had marked the oil holes (2 in the block tho there’s three in the bearing) once it was halfway we traded places and I discovered he mistakenly missed the mark at 4:30ish oil hole as he was paying more attention to the 12pm one and we had to pull the bearing back out. That’s where he was the wiser because he fashioned a slide hammer which would have worked except I had trimmed the threaded rod days ago and there wasn’t enough length to work with. But then he added a couple sockets, washers and nuts and turned the pusher into a puller.
Lots of innuendos and chuckling the entire time. He’s a good guy, an ex bf but and we both were enjoying the tediousness of what we were trying to accomplish w/ no expectations other than getting the task done.

#3 bearing has three holes of which two are oval and one is circular and isn’t ‘used.’ Oval 12pm oil transfer hole perfectly lined up. Oval 4:30pm hole that feeds to crank not as perfect as I’d like but it’s what it is.
#2 bearing has two holes of which only one is used. 4:30pm red mark showing where hole is in block. Oil hole lined up perfect.

23543A5B-664D-4FC4-82F8-C68E1C243D69.jpeg

716E602E-C296-47F0-9D0F-EC5D669FCF8C.jpeg

015B17E9-6EA4-49AE-9124-DE00D87AA478.jpeg

4CD1C130-9D51-420E-B674-01A1E974700E.jpeg

Last edited:
@Godwin when you pulled your timing plate to replace the gasket... your brass oiler was staked correct? Did you simply break through it gently and reinstall? I am holding off until I can source a spare. It appears they are NLA 90113-10022. And how is that gasket replacement holding up since you did that back in '10, any leakage now?

@Godwin when you pulled your timing plate to replace the gasket... your brass oiler was staked correct? Did you simply break through it gently and reinstall? I am holding off until I can source a spare. It appears they are NLA 90113-10022. And how is that gasket replacement holding up since you did that back in '10, any leakage now?

I did not touch the oiler. On a previous 2F I screwed one in too deep resulting in a leak that I'm still living with. Since learning that lesson I leave the oiler in place. Gasket is holding up fine and it's not leaking.

I did not touch the oiler. On a previous 2F I screwed one in too deep resulting in a leak that I'm still living with. Since learning that lesson I leave the oiler in place. Gasket is holding up fine and it's not leaking.
I might need to let go of the desire to replace the gasket. Whoever put in those torx screws last definetly used a darn good sealer and must have torqued the heck out of them cuz I can’t make them move at all. Tried loosening by racking head on w/ the bit inplace, tried a little extra leverage on the wrench handle and I tried my impact wrench and still nothing. Frustrated.

So glad I’ve gotten such an education on vehicle diagnostics. My Nissan died while cruising along on the highway this AM going to get my son. Just shut off. I angled it toward the shoulder and popped the hood. Clearly I need to keep basic tools w/ that car as well as I had none except a cheap mini pocket knife so I was screwed. Called AAA like a financially wise old car owner and had it towed home.
In the late fall same thing... the rotor is held in w/ a screw to the diz shaft and it fell out again. Then when it did this, me and my friend did everything except pull the cap and we were stumped. Had it towed to the garage where they ran the same tests and finally pulled the cap to find the screw had dropped out. Guy said he’d thread locked it in but I saw no evidence of any sealer this time. So I pull the cap and find the screw took a dive again. Added screw. Had a moment of ‘oh crap’ cuz it still wouldn’t start till I swapped the wires and she finally turned over!
Thank god for all I’ve learned. I saved myself $200! That car cost me $50 back in about 2011 and just recently hit 200k. She’s a great little chain driven beater. And clearly was jealous of all the attention the truck has been seeing!

2B97CEFE-A535-451F-9030-45143A23E24D.jpeg

A friend of mine had his rotar break in two on his 64 VW bus out in the middle of the desert while giving a tour. He was about to walk back when he noticed one of his customers doing her nails and got an idea. He welded it back together with nail polish remover and clamped it with her hair tie. Was able to drive out.

Haha! That’s total Macgyver!

A friend of mine had his rotar break in two on his 64 VW bus out in the middle of the desert while giving a tour. He was about to walk back when he noticed one of his customers doing her nails and got an idea. He welded it back together with nail polish remover and clamped it with her hair tie. Was able to drive out.
Similar story when my roommate and I were in college more than 40 years ago. We were heading over the mountains to eastern New Mexico to visit friends for the weekend. Just as we topped out and started down the mountain the same thing happened - the car just died. We popped the hood and removed the distributor cap. Sure enough, the tip of the rotor had snapped off. Next thing I knew my roommate opened the glove compartment and fished out the roll of electrical tape, hidden by the other of his sworn-by essential automotive repair supplies - a roll of baling wire. He taped the rotor back together, replaced the cap, closed the hood, and fired it up. No problem getting the remaining 50 or so miles to our destination. We had such a busy weekend we neglected to buy a new rotor. So we drove the 150 or so miles back to school late Sunday.

He had an interesting license plate, don't know if it was a coincidence or not, because it fit the letter and number format at the time. The car was a mid-60's AMC Rambler 550, and his license plate was AMC 550.

So w/ the impending lift kit coming I knew I had some cancer to face. I am now not an advocate for oil seals. That crap is a bitch to remove. It’s all over all the fuel and brake lines.
Pretty sure I know what I need to do and it’s not gonna be easy.
Clearly I have too many things at hand and a bit of ADD....

As I’m cleaning up the metal I keep hearing myself say ‘well at least it’s still metal under there.’

Cut the exhaust off to get myself more room. It was going to have to get replaced anyway.

748619AD-9C3B-419B-9DD6-F8ED753EEAC8.jpeg

F94AF454-C4EF-4395-A13C-F1FFF12B3FE1.jpeg

3F37B1F5-6101-4AE4-ABFF-14D460D911AF.jpeg

4F2819EA-0FB0-47CC-8461-9B664A50D51B.jpeg

In a recent thread someone pointed out that the white stuff inside the heat shields is asbestos which is likely so handle it properly.
Oh so grabbing that loose piece w/ just a face shield on might not fit into the category of properly.

Funny to me that I take a break from grinding rust to metal, get on Mud and see you are doing the same. I imagine you got that same rust taste in the back of your throat as I do. Oxidation and Land Cruisers.... Ugh!

Funny to me that I take a break from grinding rust to metal, get on Mud and see you are doing the same. I imagine you got that same rust taste in the back of your throat as I do. Oxidation and Land Cruisers.... Ugh!
I don’t taste anything... big face shield must help more than I realize. Ugly stuff. I hate that oil seal. Definitely has it’s good and bad.
I really wanted to get that timing plate off to do the gasket but the sealer on the torx screws must be the equivalent to gorilla glue.
Received the rod bearings few days ago and watched a couple roll in videos... but still gotta get up the nerve to make it happen. That and get some Advil in my blood stream, the muscles in my right hand are screaming at me.

I cut a doorway in my garage that has asbestos siding on it with a chainsaw no safety glasses or dust mask is was raining tho
We’ll be the ones w/ lung cancer at 70 or maybe not.

We’ll be the ones w/ lung cancer at 70 or maybe not.
Glad you're using the big face shield. Earlier this year I got a bit of rust in my eye, along with a tiny scratch, from cutting off old bolts on my exhaust. It took a couple of visits to the eye doctor to get things checked out and cleared up.

And statistically the chances of some of us developing lung cancer by age 70 are lower than others, only because some of us only have a few years to go until we hit the big seven-o.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom