Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stealing the idea from a guy who might be on mud but I see him more on Facebook. Been staring at his truck for years.

4FFD5BE1-F37E-4598-AD55-0579431097F9.jpeg

nice rig !! It's Darwink's rig..
Yeah that’s his mud name. I couldn’t remember. You know that truck is for sale right? Literally 10 years at least I’ve been ogling it. Think he’s the one I bought the Zombie Apocalypse Vehicle decals from back in 2011-ish but I could be wrong. That was my first truck, the Rootbeer Brown one.

Last edited:
You mean my use of truck?
No, I was trying to make a joke. Maybe it didn't land. "Been staring at his truck for years"... "Been crushing on him for years" eh, I guess it didn't work...:slap:

No, I was trying to make a joke. Maybe it didn't land. "Been staring at his truck for years"... "Been crushing on him for years" eh, I guess it didn't work...:slap:
Ah yeah well that’s just about right. Crushing on his truck for sure. If I’m remembering right, his garage is to die for too.

Somewhere along the way I became this girl.... measuring cam lobes on my deck table after dinner. The verdict is although mine has some scoring, the cam from the West has more wear and I won’t be using it. Lobes are far more flat and have light cracking along the edges. Reminds me of the glaze on my old guitar and a cedar chest... I know it as ‘orange peel.’ Quite sure it’s from hot and cold cycles. The wood guy can pipe in... @cps432.
Huge thanks to Drew for giving it to me. Talk about a fun new experience inspecting the two side by side.

His in first pix and mine in second.
0D7B8448-61EB-43F7-9655-F26313E49CF7.jpeg

7CE41926-B8E0-4176-A412-CC0D745FE802.jpeg

Last edited:
Haha! I am the wood guy! I actually make guitars, drums and wooden jigsaw puzzles and I'm well qualified to speak on this for once!:rofl:
Orange peeling happens when the finish is sprayed. It's not something that develops over time. At least not to my knowledge. It's usually caused by improper spray gun set up. Each formulation of lacquer (There are more than 10,000 formulas for lacquer) has it's own properties and requirements for atomization out of the gun. Gotta get the air to lacquer ratio just right for the molecules to spread evenly through the air and not dry immediately. Too much air can cause orange peel. Think of it as running your 2f lean! There's not enough liquid in the mix so the spray pattern comes out blotchy and some of the molecules dry in the air before they hit the surface. There are other things that can cause it too such as poorly prepped surface or old or poorly mixed lacquer. The cracking is called checking in the finishing world and we think it's super sexy on vintage guitars! That does happen with hot and cold cycles. Nitrocellulose lacquer was the standard up until the late 60s early 70s. Over time it looses it's elasticity and becomes brittle. This is why old guitars "sound" better. Modern finishes are light years ahead of the days of old. I use a conversion varnish on my drums that is as hard as epoxy once it's cured. Goes on thick, sands easily after three days and quickly and buffs out to a perfect 1-2 mill thickness and you've got to really try to scratch it. I'm hoping this knowledge will help me when it comes time to paint my truck. I've never sprayed automotive enamels before...

By the way, what kind of guitar do you have?

Mmmmm! Now that I'm thinking of it... the checking on the cam shaft is much like the checking on lacquer. I think you're right on the money with your assumptions. Heating and cooling probably causes some brittleness over time. My flywheel had some surface checking when I did the clutch. I'm not a blacksmith so I can't speak on the properties of steel and what happens with hardening and tempering and all that. That's my sister's job! She's a jewelress.

You’ll laugh... it’s either early or late ‘50’s Goya.
Bought it for $50 at the Wellfleet Flea Market in my hometown on the Cape. I’ve had it since ‘91 and sorta taught myself to play. It’s a beauty. Def checking throughout. Rounded rosewood neck w/ mother of pearl inlay. I had it repaired when I first got it because it had a split in the back middle seam. Guy who did it wanted to buy it off me but I was too enamered to let her go. My son loves to fiddle w/ it from time to time.

Hey, I've played some sweet old Goyas. I don't really scoff at guitars anymore. Jack White became a multi millionaire playing a sh**ty sears guitar from the 60's. After learning how to build and repair them I have a new view and appreciation for how they're designed and constructed. It's just like the difference between Ford, Chevy, and Toyota. They each have their brilliant features and can hold their own just like they all have fundamental failures. The thing about making objects out of raw materials is that it's not suppose to exist so... the fact that it does is pretty impressive!

So I opened up my oil pump and the one I picked up from @4Cruisers. Interesting to see how simple they are. Initially I thought his was frozen because the oil slot wouldn’t spin but once I opened it up I found it does. Strangely the depth that the shaft seats into the gears are different, his is deeper, mine is flush. Also interesting to see that the gear on the shafts are held in place by their own small woodruff keys too.
Thankfully it dawned on me as well that the 1/2” adapter for the impact screwdriver I have fit my impact wrench. Of course I had to cold chisel one screw out first like an ass.

E1A022CE-CE59-414B-B318-82459F3EF58D.jpeg

900DC4A6-365E-431B-B054-AAF01DD53088.jpeg

8E229518-8284-4008-AC40-97C2D64A030B.jpeg

543D732F-AE19-40F2-B126-EF32EE0B50A1.jpeg

It’s pretty cool how simple pumps are, yet so damn important. Elegance at its finest (says the nerdy gearhead).

Strange that there are differences. I verified before sending and again this morning. Mine came off my '89 FJ62's 3FE (I'm the 2nd owner and the receipts from the PO show no oil pump replacement). The same part number (15100-61011) fits all FJ60s from at least 11/84.

At work now but will check the fsm. Pretty sure the shaft should be flush w/ the gear like mine.

Haha! I am the wood guy! I actually make guitars, drums and wooden jigsaw puzzles and I'm well qualified to speak on this for once!:rofl:
Orange peeling happens when the finish is sprayed. It's not something that develops over time. At least not to my knowledge. It's usually caused by improper spray gun set up. Each formulation of lacquer (There are more than 10,000 formulas for lacquer) has it's own properties and requirements for atomization out of the gun. Gotta get the air to lacquer ratio just right for the molecules to spread evenly through the air and not dry immediately. Too much air can cause orange peel. Think of it as running your 2f lean! There's not enough liquid in the mix so the spray pattern comes out blotchy and some of the molecules dry in the air before they hit the surface. There are other things that can cause it too such as poorly prepped surface or old or poorly mixed lacquer. The cracking is called checking in the finishing world and we think it's super sexy on vintage guitars! That does happen with hot and cold cycles. Nitrocellulose lacquer was the standard up until the late 60s early 70s. Over time it looses it's elasticity and becomes brittle. This is why old guitars "sound" better. Modern finishes are light years ahead of the days of old. I use a conversion varnish on my drums that is as hard as epoxy once it's cured. Goes on thick, sands easily after three days and quickly and buffs out to a perfect 1-2 mill thickness and you've got to really try to scratch it. I'm hoping this knowledge will help me when it comes time to paint my truck. I've never sprayed automotive enamels before...

Wow...impressive knowledge on spraying lacquer. You should have no problem transitioning to automotive paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom