Winch for occasional (couple times a year or less) use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So I'm looking for recommendations for a winch. It'd only see very occasional use, and I'll only be running one battery at this point (no physical space for a second battery). I know two batteries is ideal, but for very rare and not hardcore use, I see no issue with running a single G34 battery for now. So on that note, what're some of your recommendations for an "occasional use" winch? I really liked the Warn Powerplant 9.5 since it had an integrated compressor, but both that and the 12 seem to be just about impossible to find now. I'd like a large enough spool to hold 100' or more of steel cable. The winch I decide to go with (which won't be an immediate purchase) will affect the front bumper I decide to get for my 62 (which will hopefully come soon).

I won't recommend a particular winch but I'll share my experience.
A winch is heavy. Heavy enough to need to beef up the front suspension. If you don't yet have a winch ready bumper, that's gunna add even more weight. Winch capable bumpers are a lot heavier than the little stock bumper.
A general guideline for springs is OME heavies on the front.
All that weight up front you'll feel while driving. You'll feel it every time you push down on the gas pedal and every time you push on the brakes. And if you use the winch a couple times in 10 years, you'll be hauling all that heavy stuff around on the road for 100,000 miles.
But if the winch does save your vehicle only once in its lifetime, it's worth it.

Whatever winch you choose, plan on using a snatch block (or two) pretty much all the time if its truly a rescue attempt, especially when using one battery.

In my extensive experience winching, the length of the cable isn't all that important. As the cable starts to wrap on the drum, creating layers, each successive cable layer takes a big hit off the pulling strength of the winch as the leverage increases the farther the cable is from the axis of rotation. Pretty much by the third wrap, you're toast as far as pulling strength goes. Most non giant winches will usually stall on the fourth layer even when using a snatch block.

What's more important than cable length that comes with a winch is having extension cables (or synthetic line) with mounting hardware to reach that far anchor point that always seems to be too far away.

After hauling my 150 lbs setup (winch, steel cable, ARB bumper & 2nd battery) around for thirty years and using it to save my vehicle a couple times, I decided to get rid of it because I was sick of the weight. By then I had become a lot more experienced and cautious about where I would take my cruiser, so I deemed that good judgment, experience (and caution) negated the requirement for carrying a heavy winch.

With all that said, if I were to get another winch, it would be the monster WARN 16.5ti. Don't believe the pull ratings manufacturers give their winches. They're all lies in real world use. If not lies, they are carefully designed tests with brand new fully charged batteries pulling for one foot on the first layer of the drum. Not realistic.

Last edited:
Chainfall or a comealong can extract a vehicle from simpler situations. Requires arm power but they are low cost and fit in the trunk

I won't recommend a particular winch but I'll share my experience.
A winch is heavy. Heavy enough to need to beef up the front suspension. If you don't yet have a winch ready bumper, that's gunna add even more weight. Winch capable bumpers are a lot heavier than the little stock bumper.
A general guideline for springs is OME heavies on the front.
All that weight up front you'll feel while driving. You'll feel it every time you push down on the gas pedal and every time you push on the brakes. And if you use the winch a couple times in 10 years, you'll be hauling all that heavy stuff around on the road for 100,000 miles.
But if the winch does save your vehicle only once in its lifetime, it's worth it.

Whatever winch you choose, plan on using a snatch block (or two) pretty much all the time if its truly a rescue attempt, especially when using one battery.

In my extensive experience winching, the length of the cable isn't all that important. As the cable starts to wrap on the drum, creating layers, each successive cable layer takes a big hit off the pulling strength of the winch as the leverage increases the farther the cable is from the axis of rotation. Pretty much by the third wrap, you're toast as far as pulling strength goes. Most non giant winches will usually stall on the fourth layer even when using a snatch block.

What's more important than cable length that comes with a winch is having extension cables (or synthetic line) with mounting hardware to reach that far anchor point that always seems to be too far away.

After hauling my 150 lbs setup (winch, steel cable, ARB bumper & 2nd battery) around for thirty years and using it to save my vehicle a couple times, I decided to get rid of it because I was sick of the weight. By then I had become a lot more experienced and cautious about where I would take my cruiser, so I deemed that good judgment, experience (and caution) negated the requirement for carrying a heavy winch.

With all that said, if I were to get another winch, it would be the monster WARN 16.5ti. Don't believe the pull ratings manufacturers give their winches. They're all lies in real world use. If not lies, they are carefully designed tests with brand new fully charged batteries pulling for one foot on the first layer of the drum. Not realistic.
Good advice. A couple of snatch blocks will be a definite. A good pulley system adds tons of mechanical advantage. An OME heavy/heavy setup is in the plans, likely sooner rather than later, and definitely before the winch and bumper. Also planning on a shackle reversal; don't know if that'll affect the movement of the up front weight though. Another thing that concerns me is how much of the grill area will be blocked by the winch and how much it'll affect airflow through the condenser and radiator (and tranny cooler that I just put in), which is one reason I'm not all over an 8274.

I also try to be as cautious as possible and mindful of the limitations of my setup, so hopefully any winch user would be a major rarity.

I'm not sure an 8274 blocking your entire front grille would have all ill effect on cooling. (edit: The 8274 sitting in an ARB bumper is rather low.)

Regarding what winch to run, the now retired M10,000 Warn winch is what was recommended back in the day and fit perfectly in the ARB bumpers.
My experience running the M12,000 has been very positive. I would definitely find a used M12000, M15000, or M16500ti. The VR series by warn must be avoided. It is their cheap line designed to compete with your harbor freight special.

The two best options are a come along or a well proven winch (Ramsey, Mile Marker, and Superwinch are other decent ones).

The great thing about the 62's is their throttle cable. When winching I pull the trottle cable to give it higher rpms giving higher amps at the alternator.

If youhave a "tight budget" then get a come along and move on. Winches and their associated hardware are rather expensive.

Last edited:
I have a Smittybilt on my FZJ80 that I have been happy with. I've also wheeled with others that have the Harbor Freight Badlands 12K winch and they have worked well for them. People will tell you that you have to buy a Warn. Warn are great winches but lots of the cheaper (Chinese built) models work well too.

You should also look into a used Warn 8274. They are great, great winches and so many have been sold that they are often available pretty darn cheap. Completely rebuildable too.

And I sure don't recommend an ARB bumper. They look great but are not what I would choose for a winch that I'm going to wheel.

If you are only going to use it a couple times a year id suggest mounting it on a plate that slides into your hitch receiver. I almost did this for mine as i have a hitch receiver on my front and rear bumper. Just set up wiring for both front and rear and you can move it as needed. If it wasnt my trail rig and a daily then thats what i would have done. Plus when you arent using it you can store it in your garage so even a Harbor Freight will do what you need.

Minimum size for a winch should be one and a half (1.5) times total vehicle weight. Brand is not important, reliability is. Get the best equipment you can afford. If necessary upgrade later. Synthetic line is safer and lighter, but costs more. I run an ancient Ramsey REP8000. Transferred it from my 40 to the mini before the 40 went away. Saved me and many others in both applications.

If you are only going to use it a couple times a year id suggest mounting it on a plate that slides into your hitch receiver. I almost did this for mine as i have a hitch receiver on my front and rear bumper. Just set up wiring for both front and rear and you can move it as needed. If it wasnt my trail rig and a daily then thats what i would have done. Plus when you arent using it you can store it in your garage so even a Harbor Freight will do what you need.

While this sounds like a good idea, IMHO this is a horrible setup (at least the ones that I've seen). First, they stick way out (front or rear) so your approach / departure angle absolutely sucks. Second, if you decide to leave it off and only put it on when needed, that too is a royal pain. Lugging a heavy winch and cradle in the mud, slippery rocky hillside, etc. is a just terrible. If you need a winch, get one and mount it to an appropriate bumper. Again, JMHO.

I've been very happy with my superwinch on Tencha and factory winch on Marilu and Cleo .. most important thing it's reliability of the winch through time .. albright solenoid it's a must since old school relays are much more prone to fail if not used constantly.

They're all occasional use.

Badlands winch if you'll never be in a mission critical spot in need of a winch.

Badlands winches... Great boat anchor. Might as well buy cheap knock off used tires while you're at it.

If you cannot afford a M8000 winch for $600 shipped to your door then don't buy one. I would run that for basic winching and then add a snatch block for harder pulls.

Amazon product ASIN B000182DYM

Badlands winches... Great boat anchor. Might as well buy cheap knock off used tires while you're at it.

Tell me how you really feel.

Seriously though, they're a strong option at a great price point. If you use your winch once a year or less, then no reason to spend more money on something else.

Can you tell I'm a strong advocate for quality winches? :D

I've got a M12000 on my 100 and it's been great for 10 years. Low current signal wiring in the solenoid pack basically dissolved over the years though. Replaced with Warn solid state contactor.

I would put no more than 50' of line on the winch so you don't have to spool out so much line to get to the sweet spot of the line. Have done lots of single line pulls with this winch on the 7000 lb 100. But then I've got a 270A alternator and two Group 31 batteries there.

Learn to eye-splice Dyneema/Amsteel line and make your own winchlines & extensions for much less than buying prefabbed ones. It's very easy and you'll find it to be a skill you'll use for all sorts of things. Dog leashes, loopie slings for hammocks, tie downs etc.

There's no reason to run wire these days IMO. Synthetic is safer, lighter, and can be field-repaired. Best to put it on a new winch before the cable scars up the drum.

Oh, and check with you local FD for retired fire hose. A couple of feet that you can fit your thimble through makes a great chafe guard.

Lots of sound advice here. I've had several different winches and used them all a good bit over the years. Id try to find a used Warn, Superwinch or other quality brand in good shape. Price will be right and it will still have many years of service left in it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom