Winch for occasional (couple times a year or less) use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A 2" square piece of tubing seems like it would be a weak point especially if doing a sidepull. I've been in situations of deep mud where the angle of pull was at an angle. Using a 12k Warn plus snatch block I think a hitch mount plate would not have held up well.

I'd also like to know how folks can predict how many times in a year their winch will see use.

I base it on
1.) how often i wheel
2.) difficulty of trails/ type of trail
3.) if i am by myself

I am on the west coast so mainly dirt, rocks, and sand for me. If i was in the south where it is muddy and slick then i would use it more often. Thats how i calculate it for me anyway. I bought a VRS12000 and havent had a reason to use it but then again i dont get myself into situations where the lockers and a bit of spotting didnt get me out of.

ANY WINCH IS BETTER THAN NO WINCH.............BUT knowing that you have a cheap winch you can't rely on it too often.

Just my opinion. It isnt necessairly right and everyone has different situations.

And, just for the record, I would not bother with Badlands, Smittybuilt, and all the other chinese crap winches. They will just let you down on that rare occasion you actually need it. Let's all face the fact that winches are rarely needed. Once or twice a year, maybe. It's an insurance policy and you want it to work. Cheap winches are more like a lottery situation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Warn winches, though, even old ones, rarely disappoint.
Totally disagree with this. I've used and still use a Smittybilt. I've been with lots of people who use HF Badlands. They are not junk and work well. And I've also seen Warn winches fail in the field as well. In fact, the Warn VR winches are made in China. Are they crap too? I think Warn are great winches. I've had them and used them and will use them in the future as well. But not all the Chinese ones are crap. Maybe not as good as their Warn counterparts that cost 4 times as much, but still very good.

If I'm a mechanic for a living, I'm buying Snap-on. I'm a hobby mechanic and so buy less expensive tools. Are they all crap tools? Nope, just not Snap-on quality. But they reliably get the job done. Op asked for an inexpensive solution. Unless he finds a smoking deal on a used Warn that needs no new parts (including cable), then I don't think a Warn winch fits his criteria.

Can you just install a 2" receiver on the front of your cruiser then just mount a winch to a hitch mounting plate? Then just leave the winch in the garage until you want to take it with you. Then you can use the same winch in the rear hitch if you need it.
If you actually wheel and actually get stuck, IMHO this is a bad idea. See post #11.

Last edited:
So I'm looking for recommendations for a winch. It'd only see very occasional use, and I'll only be running one battery at this point (no physical space for a second battery). I know two batteries is ideal, but for very rare and not hardcore use, I see no issue with running a single G34 battery for now. So on that note, what're some of your recommendations for an "occasional use" winch? I really liked the Warn Powerplant 9.5 since it had an integrated compressor, but both that and the 12 seem to be just about impossible to find now. I'd like a large enough spool to hold 100' or more of steel cable. The winch I decide to go with (which won't be an immediate purchase) will affect the front bumper I decide to get for my 62 (which will hopefully come soon).

Just make sure if you buy the Powerplant you get a bumper that actually will fit it. The spool is about 2 1/2" offset. There's a lot of potential interference with the bulk on the weighted side of the winch. I know I have to offset the fairlead hole in the bumper to accommodate one of these. Just because Warn makes it doesn't mean it will fit easily in a 60.

Just make sure if you buy the Powerplant you get a bumper that actually will fit it. The spool is about 2 1/2" offset. There's a lot of potential interference with the bulk on the weighted side of the winch. I know I have to offset the fairlead hole in the bumper to accommodate one of these. Just because Warn makes it doesn't mean it will fit easily in a 60.
Yeah I had been eyeballing the 4+Plus 60 series bumpers, which have a Powerplant option. Looking like I won't be able to find a Powerplant anywhere though. It's like they've completely disappeared from the market. At this point I'm keeping my eyes open for an M12000.

Keep in mind the M12K is a brute. It's a heavy, torque-y thing and needs a stout bumper. It is highly recommended mandatory that it be mounted in a feet-forward orientation. I have mine mounted feet-down in a 100 Series Slee bumper, but Christo kind of designed the bumper around the M winches so there are two additional face bolts. Also if you can't feed this thing enough amps -- like 500A+ -- what you end up with is a very heavy ~8K-9K winch.

It also has limited options in terms of clocking the clutch and where you can mount the solenoid pack. I think there's the way it ships (feet-forward) and only one other orientation for feet-down. I had to clock mine and ended up with something that worked, but wasn't ideal. The solenoid mounts on the motor only. You will get it wet, the light gauge signal terminals will eventually dissolve -- and you'll only discover it when you need to use it.

Doesn't seem like I've seen ComeUp mentioned here, and yes they're a "Chinese" (Taiwan) outfit, but Torfab, Trail-Tailor, Slee all carry and recommend them. They are (or were) also the white label provider of winches for ARB, SuperWinch, Bushranger and others.

They have have a waterproof model line, are generally lighter weight than Warn, draw less power with comparable or better line speed, have good thermal design/protection, and may include things that are options on Warn, like a wireless remote.

Seems like a good feature set/reputation/price point combo to consider. Pretty sure we're going to put one of their winches on Daphne.

Good point on the necessary current to run full capacity. Given that my 62 will probably never top out over 6Klbs, an M8000 with snatch blocks would probably serve me just fine. Be nice to spend a little less and still have a reliable winch too.

If you don't mind the "Tower of Power" appearance, and if by "occasional" you mean occasionally all-day, every-day, then maybe get a rebuilt 5274 for about the same price from this guy on CL in Portland. Bet you could get him to leave out the cable, hook and roller fairlead for ~$150 off his price and drop about 40lbs in weight. I don't like hooks any more than I like wire, I prefer a thimble and shackle.

Get 100' of 3/8" Amsteel for about $250, three gusseted tube thimbles for another $60, a hawse fairlead, a fid or knitting needle, some whipping cord, watch a YouTube video or two, and voila! a 50' winch line, 50' extension and a winch that will probably outlast your truck -- all for less than $1000.

Abrasion isn't what kills synthetic line (unless you treat it like wire and don't use chafe guards), it's dirt in the fibers. Spool it out and clean it after use, and/or once or twice a year if you don't use it. I watched Bill Burke winch this RR Classic diesel up out of this mess with the fuzziest, faded 3/8" line. If it's good enough for his SAR training courses and getting used every trip, well...

Good point on the necessary current to run full capacity. Given that my 62 will probably never top out over 6Klbs, an M8000 with snatch blocks would probably serve me just fine. Be nice to spend a little less and still have a reliable winch too.
I've got an old m8000, probably 20 yrs old. Works just fine on a 60 series. Find a nice used 8-9k Warn and it will serve you well for occasional use without being too big and heavy.

Cheaper winches can be good if taken care of. I recommended pulling out 15’ of line once a month and winching back in. Ensures the gears stay fully coated in oil.

If you’re really worried then try and actually use the winch regularly (even just on a steep road with a tree). Getting the motor hot helps dissipate any moisture buildup in the motor ensuring it lasts longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom