Daphne FJ62 R2.8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

staggrlee

GOLD Star
Threads
Figured it was about time to start a build thread on this. This forum has been great, and the resourcefulness and ingenuity of folks here is amazing.

In summary it is an r2.8/6l80e conversion with 80-Series ARB-locked axles. All work done by @torfab so I may not be able to answer some technical questions in detail. We didn't try to micro-manage the build and let Tor make a lot of the decisions.

There are a lot of reasons behind the "why" of it all, and the decisions we're still making as far as its direction, and I can get into that if people are curious, but I'll just put a stake in the ground with a description and a couple pictures for now.

Started with an incredibly clean 260K 1990 FJ62 purchased specifically for the build. A couple of very minor body rust issues, and 8/10 interior and a nice clean frame. Other than dealer-added alarm, fog lights, and a later Kenwood deck upgrade, the truck was bone stock.
00A0A_70jk23ZGWd_1200x900.jpg
00f0f_hymrRMJWC6v_1200x900.jpg
00i0i_8PLbYGws8tx_1200x900.jpg
00303_gU5bLhJet2Z_1200x900.jpg

This is the worst of the rust that we've found besides C-channels which are being replaced.
IMG_20191021_154531.jpg

Last edited:
So, that's where it sits today. Scheduled to go to @kelly saad for paint in mid-Dec. and trying to make some decisions on direction of the build.

We've decided not to do the aluminum bumpers that we ordered from @TRAIL TAILOR -- not because they're the most awesome looking bumpers ever -- but just based on appearance. We want to try and keep as much of the original character as we can yet still have a very capable rig.

So the LRA FJ60 tank that's sitting on a pallet at Torfab isn't going to be installed so we can get the spare back up in the stock location. He was going to have to carve up any extended range tank that went in due to the 80 rear axle, and the pickup pan in the LRA was in the wrong location. Tor has a Man-a-Fre tank that he was going to modify instead.

We're still going to install the Trail Tailor DOM sliders and the Bowfin rack with a light bar, but that's going to be it for exterior mods.

Last edited:
Looking forwards to hearing how you like those airbags.

Looking forwards to hearing how you like those airbags.
At 35psi they're a bit stiff over speed bumps with no load in the rear, but the truck rides and handles really well.

One of the criteria for the build was the ability to tow our Moby1 trailer with it. It has a tongue weight of about 300lbs and this will let us level things out as needed.

There's a laundry list of other items not shown that Tor has done, including:
  • Sound deadening on all doors and floor
  • Complete door lock/power windows rehab
  • Arctic Start alarm and remote start
  • New Pyle speakers. Nothing special, but heaps better than the 30 year-old paper speakers
The mirror didn't work with the stock sunvisors so added some from an LS400:
Visor (Large).jpg

Torfab-special rear hatch LEDs:
IMG_20191117_103538.jpg

Auto-Vox rear view mirror dashcam/backup cam on Joey's mirror mount
IMG_20191117_102734.jpg

WagonGear rear quarter panels
IMG_20191117_103142.jpg

IMG_20191117_103213.jpg

Last edited:
Still to do or on order:
  • Paint in orginal "153 Warm Grey Poly", maybe retro-striped (paint/vinyl?)
  • Scheel-Mann Vario F seats
  • Recover and install HJ61 50/50 split-folding rear seats
  • Install Bowfin rack with Baja Designs lightbar/reverse lights
  • Install Trail Tailor sliders/mini-sliders
  • Install Kenwood amp
  • REDARC tow controller with 7-pin plug, DC-DC charger with power coupler for trailer
  • 600W inverter and fridge wiring
  • WagonGear tailgate storage lid
  • SwitchPro completion for lockers/lights
  • Tuffy center console
  • FJ80 steering box rebuilt with 105 sector shaft/pitman arm by RedHead Steering
  • T-case skid plate

It performs great! @ ~20mpg. :D

The performance-performance is great in some aspects -- gobs of low-end torque -- and very much typical turbo'd small-displacement diesel-y in others. It's a very narrow powerband, so the 6sp is welcome, but with a torque plateau of 3k and redline at 4200 RPM stomp-n-go is not really all that much fun. Or impressive. Unless power braking 33" AT tires is impressive. Which reportedly it will do quite easily. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to be rowing through the gears in an H55 in Seattle traffic.

It is totally at home in stop and go traffic, gets along fine at highway speeds with RPMs under 2k (and without hunting gears) and has ample passing capability when you step into it, which the tired 3FE most definitely didn't have. It is slow on the kick-down and that, coupled with turbo lag, doesn't exactly make it snappy.

I'm running the original Cummins 268 ft/lb tune right now. The 300 ft/lb 1.1 tune is available on demand if/when I want to enable it, but won't for at least the first 500-1000 miles. I know that nobody breaks in engines these days but I figure it can't hurt to take it easy on it at first.

Beautiful. Oh so very jealous . . .

I love everything you did! Thanks for the info on the 2.8 driving. I have been keeping my eyes on this engine in the Fj60. Seems like a great option when replacement is needed.

keep the posts coming!

I love everything you did! Thanks for the info on the 2.8 driving. I have been keeping my eyes on this engine in the Fj60. Seems like a great option when replacement is needed.

keep the posts coming!
Thanks! Can't wait to try it out off road in low range/locked. The low-end torque should be right at home there.

Replaced the hatch lock pad. What an absolute PITA! :bang:
Also upgraded to the 80-Series rear wiper arm w/13" blade.
IMG_20191118_131707.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom