Winch for occasional (couple times a year or less) use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m using the old generation warn vr10000s. It works well for me. I’ve used it about 4 times in two years.

Buy one off craigslist

Buy one off craigslist
LOL found an M12000 brand new in box on CL for $1100 right near me. Sadly I don't have the money for it right now or I'd jump on it.

LOL found an M12000 brand new in box on CL for $1100 right near me. Sadly I don't have the money for it right now or I'd jump on it.
I may have my never used year 2004 M8000 available. I picked it up from a guy last winter for my 60. When I got back to the shop my dad said I could have his Series 12 Warn. I still need to modify my 4plus front bumper to accommodate the Series 12 so it’s not been a top priority.

Tell me how you really feel.

Seriously though, they're a strong option at a great price point. If you use your winch once a year or less, then no reason to spend more money on something else.
Lol

Tell me how you really feel.

Seriously though, they're a strong option at a great price point. If you use your winch once a year or less, then no reason to spend more money on something else.
I installed a badlands 12k# winch on my flatbed trailer and I have been truly impressed. No fancy setups just wired directly to a dedicated battery on the trailer. I just pull the battery out and charge it every so often. I’ve pulled several non-rollers out of the dirt and up onto the trailer without any complaints, and rollers are a piece of cake. A single charge can usually load and unload a dozen times. It sits under a cover 95% of the time so it looks the same as any other winch. I get it though, HF takes a bad rap for most of their stuff and nothing quite says you’ve arrived than a $1500 winch on the front of your cruiser that you never use.

So if you have money, the Warn 8274 is the winch to get. Buy on Craigslist. Or buy new if you really have $$$.

If money is tight, get an M8000 and a snatch block. Seriously, this is a great option. It's light on the front end and light on your wallet.

Always look on Craigslist because most winches have barely been used for their intended purpose. So used ones are often as good as new.

In either case, a snatch block is gold. It doubles the power and cuts the electric load disproportionately.

And, just for the record, I would not bother with Badlands, Smittybuilt, and all the other chinese crap winches. They will just let you down on that rare occasion you actually need it. Let's all face the fact that winches are rarely needed. Once or twice a year, maybe. It's an insurance policy and you want it to work. Cheap winches are more like a lottery situation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Warn winches, though, even old ones, rarely disappoint.

Can you just install a 2" receiver on the front of your cruiser then just mount a winch to a hitch mounting plate? Then just leave the winch in the garage until you want to take it with you. Then you can use the same winch in the rear hitch if you need it.

I may have my never used year 2004 M8000 available. I picked it up from a guy last winter for my 60. When I got back to the shop my dad said I could have his Series 12 Warn. I still need to modify my 4plus front bumper to accommodate the Series 12 so it’s not been a top priority.
I called dibs on this one but will pass along if you’re ready to use it ;)

If you cannot afford a M8000 winch for $600 shipped to your door then don't buy one. I would run that for basic winching and then add a snatch block for harder pulls.

Amazon product ASIN B000182DYM
True that on the M8000 mines over a decade old and what that guy said about a block, if you don't get out with that you probably have much bigger problems anyway. It took the wireless remote when they came out with it so now there's a backup. Pretty sure I paid the same for that winch & bumper as these new rope slingers. I try to work that winch smarter, not harder. Just Sayin

I called dibs on this one but will pass along if you’re ready to use it ;)
It's all good. I'm going to keep my eyes on Craigslist here for a used M12000.

It's all good. I'm going to keep my eyes on Craigslist here for a used M12000.

I've had an M12000 on my 80 for 12-15 years. Used it infrequently, but it's never failed me. Still has the original solenoids. Very strong but slow winch. I'm on my 3rd cable on that winch. Not sure why, but I get more mangled cables on it vs the 8274s on my other trucks.

But, they don't come up that often, and M8000s will work and come up all the time. Cheap.

Post up what you find.

Cool Business.... Do you have a call sign for the ham?.... I just might need to give you a shout when my charging system fails and my windows are stuck open tuh have you and that 12000 winch help me out..... I'll be right over the mountain. LOL

Cool Business.... Do you have a call sign for the ham?.... I just might need to give you a shout when my charging system fails and my windows are stuck open tuh have you and that 12000 winch help me out..... I'll be right over the mountain. LOL
Cold Ones for all that help, Please bring shovels! LOL

I've had an M12000 on my 80 for 12-15 years. Used it infrequently, but it's never failed me. Still has the original solenoids. Very strong but slow winch. I'm on my 3rd cable on that winch. Not sure why, but I get more mangled cables on it vs the 8274s on my other trucks.

But, they don't come up that often, and M8000s will work and come up all the time. Cheap.

Post up what you find.
I'm researching synthetic line, given a couple of the recommendations on this thread. Seems like a good idea if there's no compromise on strength versus cable.

Great idea in the flat land- where you live you want some steel cable unless you can afford to replace rope each time it gets compromised ever so slightly by that rock in the way or that Kelly Hump/ berm maybe rub against that tree? Just Sayin'

Great idea in the flat land- where you live you want some steel cable unless you can afford to replace rope each time it gets compromised ever so slightly by that rock in the way or that Kelly Hump/ berm maybe rub against that tree? Just Sayin'
Good point. I hadn't considered that.

Can you just install a 2" receiver on the front of your cruiser then just mount a winch to a hitch mounting plate? Then just leave the winch in the garage until you want to take it with you. Then you can use the same winch in the rear hitch if you need it.

If you are only going to use it a couple times a year id suggest mounting it on a plate that slides into your hitch receiver. I almost did this for mine as i have a hitch receiver on my front and rear bumper. Just set up wiring for both front and rear and you can move it as needed. If it wasnt my trail rig and a daily then thats what i would have done. Plus when you arent using it you can store it in your garage so even a Harbor Freight will do what you need.

I already mentioned this above, conversation is earlier in the thread.

I already mentioned this above, conversation is earlier in the thread.

A 2" square piece of tubing seems like it would be a weak point especially if doing a sidepull. I've been in situations of deep mud where the angle of pull was at an angle. Using a 12k Warn plus snatch block I think a hitch mount plate would not have held up well.

I'd also like to know how folks can predict how many times in a year their winch will see use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom