When a fj cruiser mates with a fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a custom build that I am working on. I am new to this forum and could use a lot of help. I bought this machine from a local guy that took a 67 fj40 body and threw it on a 2007 fj cruiser chassis. I loved the idea of having the look of the fj40 but the durability and comfort of a newer machine. Seeing that the body is longer on the fj cruiser, i decided that I could fit 2 more doors on the fj40 and make it a 4 door machine. I may have bit off more than I can chew, but I hope that it works out.
photo0 (2).jpg
photo0 (1).jpg
20180911_181909.jpg

So far the overall stance looks good. Others I have seen have the wheel base vs. wheel arches completely off. Proportions seem to be correct also.

Do you have more pics of the original 2 door version? It looks like the previous owner did a nice job on it.

Did you cut up the original 2 door extended tub or do you still have it? I'm asking because I'm interested in buying it if you saved it.

It appears he cut up the 2 door tub to make the new one. The 2 door looks like it has less taper from the windshield back to the b pillar than a stock tub. A flat sided 40 is about 48" wide so that can't be the case.

Some of you may have seen the project years ago when one of the 4X4 magazines showed a 40 set on an fj frame.
They split the 40 body in half length ways and widened it by 6 inches as I remember.
The finish product looked really good.

Looks like the front axle needs to move forward about 3 or 4 inches to match where a fj40 front axle sits. Where you have it now is not where a fj40 axle sits in proportion to the front wheel opening. The front wheels in their current position looks like it was in a accident or has a bent frame or something. If you move the control arm mounts and strut mounts it would fix that.

Do you have more pics of the original 2 door version? It looks like the previous owner did a nice job on it.

Did you cut up the original 2 door extended tub or do you still have it? I'm asking because I'm interested in buying it if you saved it.
I do not have the original 2 door extended tub, but I do have two more machines that I bought that still have the tubs in tact. I actually purchased 3 machines total so that I could steel parts as needs.

Looks like the front axle needs to move forward about 3 or 4 inches to match where a fj40 front axle sits. Where you have it now is not where a fj40 axle sits in proportion to the front wheel opening. The front wheels in their current position looks like it was in a accident or has a bent frame or something. If you move the control arm mounts and strut mounts it would fix that.
Good eye, I actually moved the body forward a few inches so that I had more room in the engine compartment as well as created more room in the back seat area.

Remember this is the combination of two different vehicles so some concessions will have to be made.
As long as there is clearance for turning and vertical travel I see no problem. While it does look different I don't think it looks bad.
The more I look at it the more I like it.

Good eye, I actually moved the body forward a few inches so that I had more room in the engine compartment as well as created more room in the back seat area.
:confused: Move it back.:deadhorse:

Hopefully it will be look better than this very ugly one:
FJ-40 Cruiser
2a2a920fbaaea8a30d66b6f744c6fd00

If you moved the body forward, it make the front axle placement looking weirder
The front tire must exceed the front bib to look right IMO
This!:cheers:

With the frt tire being back so far back, it affects the approach angle.

A simple solution to the front axle placement is a solid axle swap. Looks sick otherwise man.

D

Saw this when it was first posted on KSL. Looked pretty bare so makes sense you picked up some parts rigs for it. Stoked It found its way to mud! Welcome :flipoff2: and let me know if you need a hand with anything, you’re not far.

:worms:...
I think if the goal was to keep it “looking right” I would start by not putting it on a fj chassis and adding extra doors, not 3 or 4 inches on the axle. Just my $.02 :rolleyes:

The blue one looks broken. Shooner's looks more centered. I still like it but need a profile picture for a final judgment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom