What Winch would you put on this bumper and why (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mud-
im working on the acquisition of a ‘74 40. Here is an image. I’d like to get a winch for the bumper that’s adequate but not overkill for the rig. Open to suggestions....
477723F0-3519-4AEC-80F0-B2BBECB39715.jpeg

Last edited:
more pics of the bumper, looks extended and has a box in there??

Warn 8274 hands down and also very cool.

The classic winch for a 40, and a powerhouse that is easily rebuilt and upgraded. Buy a used one and rebuild if necessary to save some cash, a new one is expensive.

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

more pics of the bumper, looks extended and has a box in there??
I was thinking the same thing. There's a lot of visual stuff there that makes me want to see some better pics.

Solid windshield brackets in place of hinges.
The rear body panel above the tire looks suspicious.

I was thinking the same thing. There's a lot of visual stuff there that makes me want to see some better pics.

shackle reversal also

What is it about the bracket and the panel? Here are a few other photos up close regarding the bumper/ winch question. Yes it got the power steering in the bumper but should have plenty of room.

rckymntflyfisher Here a few other photos. It’s been modified for sure

Not sure what’s suspect in rear panel other than the diamond plating which has been inspected for rot/rust
The brackets on the windshield are an issue? Whats the concern?

Otherwise let me know thoughts on a good winch for her.

Thanks,Ben

20201112_153738.jpg
IMG_3287[66756] 2.JPG
IMG_3288[66758].JPG

20201112_153751.jpg

I am somewhere down the road installing this. I think it is a good look and almost age appropriate. The 40 is an 82 and the winch is an 87. Close enough.
4E4DAFCC-E4AB-4300-9CA7-7AF8BE3F60EE.jpeg

The correct answer for your question about what winch is appropriate is: Warn 8274. However, you will have a tough time integrating an 8274 into that homemade square tube bumper and storage box. I'd say that to do it right, you may want to replace the bumper with an 8274 winch-ready unit and then mount an 8274. The other option is to keep your bumper, mount a winch plate above it and go with a "regular" planetary winch and not an 8274. The 8274 is a spur gear winch. It is really tall and, while it is THE go-to winch for these old trucks, it has some very specific mounting requirements...front mounted, not flat mounted, and they just look better mounted down low between the front frame horns with the fairlead and cable exiting through a slot in the bumper.

Warn 8274:

IMG_0259[1].JPG

Planetary winch mounted on plate above bumper:

1607978361186.png

When you mount an 8274 above the frame rails, it looks like this:

1607979614554.png

Warn used to make the plate to mount the 8274 up above the rails (pictured), but I'm not sure if they still do. I'm not a fan of that mount. It looks like a bulldozer blade to me and it has to restrict air flow through the radiator.

Warn 8274 is a popular choice, not only because of it's look, but it has a strong reputation as reliable and fast.
But, it mounts a bit different than most other winches, and will usually sit behind the bumper on an FJ40, with the motor sticking up above the bumper, but the cable spooled through it. The mounting holes on the winch are on the front of it.
Most other electric winches made these days mount from the bottom and sit on a "channel" on top of the bumper mounted to the frame. And the motor is on the side of the cable spool, so they are shorter.
I can't really tell from those pictures, but you might have to get rid of what looks like a tool box and get a new bumper to fit an 8274, though I'm not sure how well a channel would mount on top of that box either.
And the 8274 is expensive. Occasionally you can find them used at a good price, they pretty much last forever. But new they are 4-5 TIMES as expensive as other winches of similar capacity (even other Warn winches). I put a new 15k smittybuilt winch on my Ram 3500 for about the same price as a used, 30+ year old 8274 that needed a lot of cleanup.

Last edited:
It looks like someone removed the windshield hinges which allows you to drop the W/S down when the top is off, and they installed chrome or SS solid brackets.

We probably need better pics of your frt bumper to see what's going on. It appears you have a plate or a box between the bumper and the bib, which will interfere with mounting any type of winch. That plate may have to be removed. Once the plate issue is resolved you should be able to mount an 8274 or a planetary style winch in its place. Either will require some sort of fab work. Personally I like Warn winches, and prefer the 8274 for a FJ40 with the fairlead coming thru the bumper.

I'll stir the pot and say the winch should be able to go on the rear as you'd rather pull yourself out of a bad situation rather than pull deeper into it.

or go with a receiver mount and use it front or rear

The correct answer for your question about what winch is appropriate is: Warn 8274. However, you will have a tough time integrating an 8274 into that homemade square tube bumper and storage box. I'd say that to do it right, you may want to replace the bumper with an 8274 winch-ready unit and then mount an 8274. The other option is to keep your bumper, mount a winch plate above it and go with a "regular" planetary winch and not an 8274. The 8274 is a spur gear winch. It is really tall and, while it is THE go-to winch for these old trucks, it has some very specific mounting requirements...front mounted, not flat mounted, and they just look better mounted down low between the front frame horns with the fairlead and cable exiting through a slot in the bumper.

Warn 8274:

View attachment 2524639

Planetary winch mounted on plate above bumper:

View attachment 2524646
Here are a few photos of the current bumper configuration. I think i can do either as your suggested by either cutting out the top plate for the 8274 or do the planetary on top of the existing. Are those little fenders on the front of the yellow rig bumper? That may make sense around here.

Thanks

20201216_085139.jpg

20201216_104603.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom