FJ45 - what would you set reserve on BaT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, looking for a lil help from the Mud community. A few years ago I picked up this 45 and looking to put it on the market in the near future. Curious to hear what you all would set the reserve at on BaT. Recently went through the LS motor and rebuilt with high end stuff bc it had the standard LS piston slap issue. Added a bit more ponies with a new TX Speed cam. Has a nv4500, 4 whl discs, ARB lockers and a bunch of other goodies.

Appreciate any help on this one from y'all. It's a very cool truck I'm just not driving it as much bc I have a few other cars that get more seat time. Thanks

IMG_8453.JPG

IMG_8450.JPG

IMG_8447.JPG

IMG_8448.JPG

IMG_8445.JPG

Reserve should be the number you're comfortable with if someone pays it. If it doesn't meet it, you're high.

It's a little too hot rodded for many higher end buyers, but look at the averages on BAT and run with that to start. There is no set value, every truck is different unless it is totally original, which yours is not.

Hard to say, I noticed the hubs are internal spline and the rear is FF, details on that stuff will help the estimate. On the LS are you running a MAF ? Is it between filter & TB ?

Well, I like LS powered FJs, and your truck is beautiful!!!

I watched a BAT auction end yesterday and was shaking my head. 1982 restored, non US-spec FJ40 bid to $75K, and not sold. My opinion only, but that was too much money for an ex-Venezuelan FJ.

I would think (hope?) your truck would sell for more. But that's just my opinion....

I'm standing in front of you with cash, how much am I giving you to buy it?
That's your reserve.

Your minimum is going to be a number you're happy with or put a big # on it and see where it goes. It's a personal desicion,. I'm sure you know about what that # is. It think putting your question in here is purposeful, and very well played. Have you watched many auctions on BAT. Bidding usually extends well beyond the auctions time limit. I dont know bat's rules but I think in the end you'll have an opportunity to sell or keep the reserve on. One of the bidders may reach out to you privately after the auction if you keep the reserve on and they might make an offer. I think the V8/NV4500 is a very desirable set up. You need to talk it up. I'd be curious of what else has be done to the rest of the driveline. It looks like a high end build, we'll thought out and tastefully done. I love my sbc,nv4500, it's a blast to drive.

35k might be good reserve on bat if you want to make sure it sells. I would imagine it goes for 40+ but can’t ever tell with resto mods

You have a nice FJ45 there. I would use this build as the absolute pie in the sky ceiling for price. The quality of this build and uniqueness was 2nd to none, I would have wagered it sold for well over $100k, and was disappointed in the sale price for the builder/seller. I would guesstimate somewhere around 50% of the sale price of this FJ45 for your FJ45. Good luck with the sale.

Check out the graph and past auctions on the his page:

I have to say, I'm surprised how little the fj45's are selling for compared to 40's! They're so much more rare in the US. Makes me want to buy one at these prices.

I have to say, I'm surprised how little the fj45's are selling for compared to 40's! They're so much more rare in the US. Makes me want to buy one at these prices.
Going back to Jan '23, I don't see a single non-import 45 truck. I hope the low sales prices are a reflection of buyers getting wise to the garbage being brought in "restored" from South America. I suspect its also a reflection of the lack of cheap/free money that was flowing into the economy in 20 & 21 and parts of 22. I think the OP's truck would be more desirable since it is an original US spec vehicle with a known history.

If you look at the majority of FJ45s they are all imports. I believe 1967 was the last year for Toyota bringing them into USA. I believe having an original USA FJ45 and all original , the price goes up. It does seem the FJ40 original OR resto , the popularity is huge.

Make sure your BAT write-up uses an annoying passive voice.
BAT writes your ad for you. Nothing you can do about it. They write it very carefully so it’s standardized but probably mostly so they are shielded from getting sued if something isn’t accurate. That’s why there’s lots of phrases like “seller states that” or “alleged components”….

Thanks for all the replies. Truck is getting detailed by my buddy's shop on Monday and the photographer is scheduled for next Wed. Just dyno tuned the motor and with the new cam and high end internals it went from 385 to 450HP. Has and nice little lope at idle too and a smooth torque curve, runs way better. I'll probably do a No Reserve auction bc I have seen those create good success with more bidders involved. My good friend was an editor at BaT for years and he'll help with the write up. Getting a few videos done next week as well. We'll know soon enough what the market says about the truck. I have (and still own) some rad cars and this one gets more looks than anything I have owned, even more than my 63 Vette on a Roadstershop chassis. I think b/c it's something most people have never seen before. Put it in a local car show a few weeks back and every kid that looked at it got an invite to sit in it, their smiles were ear to ear. Gotta inspire the next generation so we're all not driving Teslas in 20 years.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Truck is getting detailed by my buddy's shop on Monday and the photographer is scheduled for next Wed. Just dyno tuned the motor and with the new cam and high end internals it went from 385 to 450HP. Has and nice little lope at idle too and a smooth torque curve, runs way better. I'll probably do a No Reserve auction bc I have seen those create good success with more bidders involved. My good friend was an editor at BaT for years and he'll help with the write up. Getting a few videos done next week as well. We'll know soon enough what the market says about the truck. I have (and still own) some rad cars and this one gets more looks than anything I have owned, even more than my 63 Vette on a Roadstershop chassis. I think b/c it's something most people have never seen before. Put it in a local car show a few weeks back and every kid that looked at it got an invite to sit in it, their smiles were ear to ear. Gotta inspire the next generation so we're all not driving Teslas in 20 years.
Good luck. I am sure we will all look how this turns out. The result will enlighten everyone.

Good luck. I am sure we will all look how this turns out. The result will enlighten everyone.

Thanks. The market has definitely softened and the auction will reflect that. Not too concerned bc it’s just staying in the “fun money” fund to support two other car projects I’m working on at the moment. A 66 Chevelle 300 with an all aluminum 600hp ZL1 427 motor I picked up on BaT years ago and a 66 Porsche 911 that I’m hot rodding. Both are getting suspension upgrades and a few tweaks to the motors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom