What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (46 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scored some old school seats that are in mint condition! Got rid of the jerry-rigged buckets and now I'm bouncing and sliding down the road! :bounce:
seats.jpg
seats.jpg

Got the motor in over the weekend and now on to all the little things.....
WP_000034[1].jpg

Got the adapter plate fabbed

Got the adapter plate from 15bf bell housing to H41 fabbed and mocked up
adapter plate 4.jpg

Well, I started out to repair theodometer on my 76 FJ40. When I dissembled the odometer I found the typical wax substance that was left behind after all of the volatiles evaporated. This stuff was so hard in the cold weather (+15 to +40F) that a plastic pin on one end of the long geared shaft had sheared off. I was able to replace this with a 3mm steel pin and reassemble the odometer. Works great.

But the really interesting find occurred when I was reassembling the instrument cluster. Out of curiosity I measured the resistance between individual pins on the circular connector and the copper traces on the printed wiring board. I did this because I noticed that these pins are just pressed in place, not soldered. I have designed and built many electronics devices over the years and pressed pins into printed wiring boards become troublesome over time, esp 37 years. Most of the pins measured around 20 to 35 ohms just between the pin and the copper at the base of the pin. Depending on the current following through these pins/copper trace interfaces, substantial voltages can be dropped at this interface reducing the current flow which will effect the gauge measurement - like the oil pressure gauge. The end result was that I cleaned the pin interface with liquid acid based flux, neutralized the acid, then carefully sweated (soldered) each pin (only at its base) to its copper trace. The resistances are now zero. My oil pressure gauge indicates about 10% higher.

Not sure if this has ever been covered before, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Results may vary.

Well, I started out to repair the odometer on my 76 FJ40. When I dissembled the odometer I found the typical wax substance that was left behind after all of the volatiles evaporated. This stuff was so hard in the cold weather (+15 to +40F) that a plastic pin on one end of the long geared shaft had sheared off. I was able to replace this with a 3mm steel pin and reassemble the odometer. Works great.

But the really interesting find occurred when I was reassembling the instrument cluster. Out of curiosity I measured the resistance between individual pins on the circular connector and the copper traces on the printed wiring board. I did this because I noticed that these pins are just pressed in place, not soldered. I have designed and built many electronics devices over the years and pressed pins into printed wiring boards become troublesome over time, esp 37 years. Most of the pins measured around 20 to 35 ohms just between the pin and the copper at the base of the pin. Depending on the current following through these pins/copper trace interfaces, substantial voltages can be dropped at this interface reducing the current flow which will effect the gauge measurement - like the oil pressure gauge. The end result was that I cleaned the pin interface with liquid acid based flux, neutralized the acid, then carefully sweated (soldered) each pin (only at its base) to its copper trace. The resistances are now zero. My oil pressure gauge indicates about 10% higher.

Not sure if this has ever been covered before, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Results may vary.

Last edited:
Well, I started out to repair the odometer on my 76 FJ40. When I dissembled the odometer I found the typical wax substance that was left behind after all of the volatiles evaporated. This stuff was so hard in the cold weather (+15 to +40F) that a plastic pin on one end of the long geared shaft had sheared off. I was able to replace this with a 3mm steel pin and reassemble the odometer. Works great.

You're stuttering Colonel (double post) .... but thanks.

Well worth mentioning. :clap:

esh---cool pic---

Painted my bezel from white to black...the roll cage and wheels are next.

It is already so far from stock, it really does not matter anymore...
black bez.jpg

FINALLY !!!!!

Finally got it registered and insured....$380.80 year for $48K coverage....took it wheeling on the plateau, did 37 miles on a mellow trail, great flex and very quiet. Thanks to all who commented along the way...
Cruiser pics up Jig road 001.jpg
Cruiser pics up Jig road 002.jpg

Finally got it registered and insured....$380.80 year for $48K coverage....took it wheeling on the plateau, did 37 miles on a mellow trail, great flex and very quiet. Thanks to all who commented along the way...

Your rig is an inspiration! Looks so sweet. Hope to be in the same league as you one day!

Insurance company?

American family.....i have my homeowners, business, three other trucks, two harleys and two atv's, so it almost nothing to add another..

Skillet said:
Painted my bezel from white to black...the roll cage and wheels are next.

It is already so far from stock, it really does not matter anymore...

Hey way off subject but I'm selling my off road trailer that looks to be about the same exact color as your rig and close to burnttoastburgo as well. What is your color called? The trailer is Hummer sunburst orange.

Back on topic... I installed 4 degree shims on my 40 that has 4" lifted springs. It is now back to stock caster specs and drives amazing. Shoulda done that 6 months ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom