What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Worked on fixing the vent windows on both of our early-style front doors on our 1970 40 series. The little metal stoppers that keep the vent window from opening too far weren't put in when I assembled the doors a couple of years ago. That was a very dumb mistake on my part because the doors are so much easier to work on when they are apart and laying on a flat surface. Anyway, the challenge was to try and insert the metal stoppers and nylon washers without removing the doors or totally separating the top half from the bottom. (I didn't want to remove the weatherstripping) After removing the vent windows, I was able to raise the top frame enough to expose the inside bracket for the vent window and carefully insert the stopper and nylon washer. Then reposition the vent window so that the stud indexed with the stopper. Then re-assembled everything. The first go-around the vent window didn't open very far before hitting the stop. So I took everything back apart and flipped the stopper. Now the vent windows fully open before hitting the stops. (I'm not sure if this is correct but they seemed to work okay) I also tightened the retaining nuts to put more pressure on the springs so hopefully the vent windows will stay in position at highway speeds. Also, applied some Bob Smith Maxi-Cure to hold the bottom of the weatherstripping in place. Finishing touch was installing a pair of City Racer hole covers.

View attachment 3611877

Driver's side fully open

View attachment 3611883

Passenger side fully open

View attachment 3611894

View attachment 3611890
I’ll be replacing all my weatherstripping at some point as well.

Mounted a 33x10.5x15 Maxxis M/T to replace a 35x10.5 mud hog tire I was going to use on my cruiser but wasn’t going to clear the garage with a top on. So now my cruiser looks like this with the 4in left I have.

View attachment 3611748
So here are some pictures with the 35 and the 33. I’m debating if I should go with a 2 1/2 lift. Or a fender flare. First 2 pictures are the 35 and last 2 the 33. I hate having such a big gap between the wheel well the top of the tire. It doesn’t look as bad up front.

IMG_0907.jpeg

71909556590__52506528-0C8D-4A64-AF60-806316C55091.jpeg

IMG_2159.jpeg

IMG_2161.jpeg

So here are some pictures with the 35 and the 33. I’m debating if I should go with a 2 1/2 lift. Or a fender flare. First 2 pictures are the 35 and last 2 the 33. I hate having such a big gap between the wheel well the top of the tire. It doesn’t look as bad up front.

View attachment 3612014

View attachment 3612015

View attachment 3612016

View attachment 3612017

Are you planning on installing your hard top? That’ll add weight and compress the springs a bit so that gap wont be so big. Do you have photos from further back to get a full side view? I love the colour!

Are you planning on installing your hard top? That’ll add weight and compress the springs a bit so that gap wont be so big. Do you have photos from further back to get a full side view? I love the colour!
Thanks! I’m going to run a soft top for the time being. I’ll have to push the cruiser outside to get a better view. I’ll try to do that at some point soon to get a better look.

I wouldn't alter the body for tires. It'll probably settle a bit. Here's 4" skyjackers with the same tire as yours.
20220918_173744.jpg

Last edited:
Highs & lows...Had the truck in the garage to check the shards in oil issue, looks like l did overtighten the cap & shaved some thread off it.. oil/filter changed & engine flushed its going back to get rechecked & the tappets adjusted Monday.

MK2 Hilux 15' steel rims refurbed, bought new Grabber at3's 225/70/15...they arrived on Thursday & looked great.. then l read the tyre loading 800kg not the 1T+ l wanted, spoke to the supplier they don't have them (why send 800's instead) the trucks 3T & can carry 1T+....so they're no use...they'll be going back to the suppliers, l'll be using the Lassa Competus a/t 215/80/15 with a loading of 850kg that came with the rims meantime. l'm considering contacting continental & asking them where l can get 225/80/15 Grabbers that'll carry 1-1.2T...they make them l just can't find them.

Bought a new wiper switch the 1 supplied was not the right 1 bought another 1 elsewhere same issue.. (explained each time its a 3 way switch with washer)...On further investigation it seems my truck has the 'extremely rare' 3 way switch with washer (hen with gold teeth came to mind)...looks like an adaptation is on the cards if l can't get a switch..l'm currently searching in Japan/Australia.

Today was a dry day, so my adventure continued under the truck as l greased everything completely & discovered the gearbox-prop shaft Bendix is worn...so that's another job. Its still only Saturday....

Possibly a dealer badge of some sort

Possibly a dealer badge of some sort? 🤷🏼‍♂️
If you mean the weight load of the tyre, General have it written on the tyre wall. Since discovering the weight load issue l've checked various locals trucks they all have around the same whatever make they use. l've a HJ47 truck & l use it to collect 1T firewood & off grid supplies... l'm being extra cautious that l get the right tyres.

View attachment 3612014

View attachment 3612015

View attachment 3612016

View attachment 3612017
Possibly a dealer badge of some sort? 🤷🏼‍♂️
It looks like it...that has been drilled for something..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom