What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spaghetti system rework and cleanup. Main and engine harnesses.

20230207_120337.jpg

20230207_085736.jpg

I just showed my wife this pic of doing wiring on the kitchen counter. She said you must not be married. LOL...
😅 Will be 38 years in April to the best wife in the world. Did ya see the transmission on the dining table?

note 9 pics 1896 small.jpg

Today I helped a longtime buddy get his cruiser running again. This is the landcruiser that got me into landcruisers. I was a 16 year old with a wrangler when we went snow wheeling with a friends brother in law and his buddies and this was one of 3 FJ40’s in the group. It’s a 72 I believe with a 2F and still 3 speed. It’d been progressively running worse the last 7-8 years until the last couple years it wouldn’t even start. In November we swapped in a pertronix, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and adjusted the carb (Amazon special vacuum secondary carb but from pre-Amazon days). We were able to get it running but poorly. I moved and holidays got in the way so today was the first chance we had to work on it again. Adjusted the valves (for the first time in at least 30 years). A couple valves were literally .100” or more loose! Pulled the carb and found a ton of issues. Used 2 spare carbs I had plus his to make 1 good one. Poured some gas, cranked and fired! He said it’s never run better in the 30 years he’s owned it. Drives, idles, accelerates awesome. Really happy to see it back on the road. Best pic I got of it.

11DEB6C2-50D8-4DA3-8694-F5D3553A32A8.jpeg

Today I helped a longtime buddy get his cruiser running again. This is the landcruiser that got me into landcruisers. I was a 16 year old with a wrangler when we went snow wheeling with a friends brother in law and his buddies and this was one of 3 FJ40’s in the group. It’s a 72 I believe with a 2F and still 3 speed. It’d been progressively running worse the last 7-8 years until the last couple years it wouldn’t even start. In November we swapped in a pertronix, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and adjusted the carb (Amazon special vacuum secondary carb but from pre-Amazon days). We were able to get it running but poorly. I moved and holidays got in the way so today was the first chance we had to work on it again. Adjusted the valves (for the first time in at least 30 years). A couple valves were literally .100” or more loose! Pulled the carb and found a ton of issues. Used 2 spare carbs I had plus his to make 1 good one. Poured some gas, cranked and fired! He said it’s never run better in the 30 years he’s owned it. Drives, idles, accelerates awesome. Really happy to see it back on the road. Best pic I got of it.

View attachment 3243218
I have always loved the light green 40s.

View attachment 3243218

Isn't it great to have the opportunity to work on the actual vehicle that got you into Land Cruisers in the first place, so many years later? Not to mention getting to help out an old friend. Sounds like it turned out real nice, especially since he's so happy with the way it runs now.

View attachment 3243218
Stories like this are why we love cruisers to begin with

Fixing what some idiot eith an angle grinder did to my dash. Had to get a dremel with a carbide burr in there to match the grooves. I'll be picking metal splinters out of hands and arms for weeks.
20230208_150328.jpg

Just to clarify, the idiot with the angle grinder was me :hillbilly: :bang: at least I'm fixing my own mistakes!

Thanks to @swamp-thing I added a heater light I didn't know I was missing, also replaced bulb that illuminates the Lights pull.
0208231922b.jpg

Testing out a new to me camera and putting it through its paces. I shot this photo of the fj40 hand held at 1/8th of a second and f3.5 with some 100 speed ektar film on my fuji gw690III. Pretty much past the limit of good colors on this film but I thought it looked pretty cool. Thought I would share the photo!
Whitagram-Image 10.JPG

Last edited:
@Vossie

I am also the idiot that you speak of :meh:

However … Different truck … different issues :)
Haha, we all are in our own way. I'm still an advocate for you car your mods your way, but every now and again I make a mistake or misjudge and have to go back and fix it

View attachment 3243218
That thing looks nice!

Haha, we all are in our own way. I'm still an advocate for you car your mods your way, but every now and again I make a mistake or misjudge and have to go back and fix it
I have seen the enemy and we are they.

I have seen the enemy and we are they.
And no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy!

Is that why all the voices in my head can't agree on what colour to paint my rig?? :hmm: :hillbilly:

Got the speedo cable adapter installed. Very easy install and hopefully it will prolong the life of the cable…time will tell.

(it connects the cable to the gear in the transfer case)

8B0D7456-9F48-426B-B801-8BEC06251825.jpeg

Got the speedo cable adapter installed. Very easy install and hopefully it will prolong the life of the cable…time will tell.

(it connects the cable to the gear in the transfer case)

View attachment 3245013
$157+ list. Now, if they only made one for the speedometer end..:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom