What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Traveled a few hours and spent some time with other 40's in the area.

IMG_9154.jpg

A 'Thanks' and shout-out goes to @Wadesters for making this happen!

New front bench is coming together nice. The SOR kit is nice, but the damn charcoal grey doesn't match my rear (black) jump seats...they will just have to stay folded up now!

64237367437__F0B805DE-62CA-4E32-82B3-B13C65A7AC7E.jpg

Removed the body mounts... a lot more difficult than I expected as they were all completely rusted tight and there was just no easy way to access several of them. Ended up giving my sawzall and angle grinder a good workout and after 3 dirty hours finally got them all out. Plan to start installing the new mounts tomorrow evening and hopefully it will go smoother than the removal.

Today I got all my front sheetmetal lined up and snugged down. Filled trans and t-case with oil and headed to get a battery and fire it up! Got back to a leaking t-case rear output, but I think I installed the seal too deep and forgot to replace it. Also found out my new battery, that I seriously doubted would fit but was assured it was correct; is way too big to fit the stock tray. Like 1.5” too wide and 2.5” too long to fit. So maybe in a few days when I get the seal and new battery the firing off will commence. Paint for top and bezel should be here any day...
843135D8-2344-46E7-A563-9F969642EC09.jpeg

Life keeps getting in the way of putting it back together, but I’m plugging away anyway. Seats rips are repaired to trail truck standards and started painting the color princess chose- SEM bluebird brown. Ran out of paint, so waiting on a delivery of more. It’s nice not living in the city, but you got wait on supplies sometimes. Could of sworn I took pictures...
In between coats, I started in on the dash. It’ll never be this accessible again. Hope I got everything right. Pedal bucket was the biggest struggle, but today I got it and the steering column in place.
2FA790EF-771F-4663-9933-84CACFA1B5DE.jpeg
So I get to this point and notice I have matching cracks in the bottom corners of the dash
F808D30B-05E2-46F5-9274-8F7A85BA10EF.jpeg

I don’t remember seeing them before the assembly stage. I suppose they may have been there all along, not sure. There’s no other evidence of abuse by the blaster or painter, so I suppose they are old.
F808D30B-05E2-46F5-9274-8F7A85BA10EF.jpeg
I’ll have to stew on this matter. Probably drill a hole to stop the crack/tear and weld it up. Problem is the fresh paint is not encouraging to fix it.

Today I got all my front sheetmetal lined up and snugged down. Filled trans and t-case with oil and headed to get a battery and fire it up! Got back to a leaking t-case rear output, but I think I installed the seal too deep and forgot to replace it. Also found out my new battery, that I seriously doubted would fit but was assured it was correct; is way too big to fit the stock tray. Like 1.5” too wide and 2.5” too long to fit. So maybe in a few days when I get the seal and new battery the firing off will commence. Paint for top and bezel should be here any day...View attachment 2671984
That’s a really nice looking color and cruiser!

Haven’t done much with the cruiser itself but been cleaning the garage for a couple of nights in the last week while the wife was at work. That’s the only time I can get rid of things without her know exactly what I’m getting rid of.
My cruiser has been at my dads since the day I bought it from him a few years ago and making the room in my garage to bring it home and actually get more things done to it.

Life keeps getting in the way of putting it back together, but I’m plugging away anyway. Seats rips are repaired to trail truck standards and started painting the color princess chose- SEM bluebird brown. Ran out of paint, so waiting on a delivery of more. It’s nice not living in the city, but you got wait on supplies sometimes. Could of sworn I took pictures...
In between coats, I started in on the dash. It’ll never be this accessible again. Hope I got everything right. Pedal bucket was the biggest struggle, but today I got it and the steering column in place. View attachment 2672010So I get to this point and notice I have matching cracks in the bottom corners of the dashView attachment 2672009
I don’t remember seeing them before the assembly stage. I suppose they may have been there all along, not sure. There’s no other evidence of abuse by the blaster or painter, so I suppose they are old.
View attachment 2672009I’ll have to stew on this matter. Probably drill a hole to stop the crack/tear and weld it up. Problem is the fresh paint is not encouraging to fix it.
Never noticed that on mine until you said something. Thanks for sharing, I'll add it to the list!

20210512_175626.jpg
20210512_175600.jpg

Never noticed that on mine until you said something. Thanks for sharing, I'll add it to the list!

View attachment 2672715View attachment 2672718
Yeah I don’t know if it predates this current tear down or not. I’ve never heard of it being a common issue. Truth is I’m pretty ham fisted and it’s likely my fault. Fortunately, this isn’t a show and shine project, so minor imperfections don’t bother me much. Which is good because my daily driver has seen better days, but it runs like a top, so why get rid of it.

My 71 was cracked there on both sides. I welded and finished them off prior to paint. I went over mine with a fine tooth comb and took notes prior to primer/paint. Still found a couple little things I missed, but I’ll never tell what they are....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom