What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of my concerns is that the bolts for the saginaw steering box appear as though they could be blocked by the factory hangers. I may not have a choice but to do the switch just to make room.

I'd clearance the mounting plate before shackle reversal.

Should be like new Monday. It all started with a bad throw out bearing and clutch... replaced the clutch and serviced the transmission and transfer case while it was down.

So, you had problems with the clutch that led to welding new spring hangers to the frame?

Sounds like you might own an FJ40...

Adjusted the timing and went for a drive without a mask on. Comrade Gavin can kiss my butt.
I almost sold the fj40 two weeks ago until a friend of mine called who had sold his, he regrets it to this day.

A2913D93-E871-4D68-8D9B-16E69DD2211E.jpeg

So, you had problems with the clutch that led to welding new spring hangers to the frame?

Sounds like you might own an FJ40...

lol, yes
Reversing the shackle reversal was always on my list, just never got around to it.
Next up, replacing all the heater foam/seals and a new headliner. While I’m at it I need to replace all the hardtop weatherstripping. Then she will be good for at least a few months :)

Adjusted the timing and went for a drive without a mask on. Comrade Gavin can kiss my butt.
I almost sold the fj40 two weeks ago until a friend of mine called who had sold his, he regrets it to this day.

View attachment 2515617

What type and size tires are those and how do they steer and ride?

What type and size tires are those and how do they steer and ride?

They look like super swampers.
Swappers 34x9.5xr16. They wonder a little on the highway but that could be due to the spring over ,power steering and short wheelbase. I like them but if it was a DD I’d go with an AT. Hard to find an AT IN A 34” or taller that will fit on a 5.5” rim. I thought about widening the rim to 7” but I don’t want to spend anymore money on it right now.

Swappers 34x9.5xr16. They wonder a little on the highway but that could be due to the spring over ,power steering and short wheelbase. I like them but if it was a DD I’d go with an AT. Hard to find an AT IN A 34” or taller that will fit on a 5.5” rim. I thought about widening the rim to 7” but I don’t want to spend anymore money on it right now.
Others on here call them square tires. I know why now. They are a bias ply tire so when the vehicle site over night they get a flat spot until you warm them up a little. I like them for the looks but have not used them off-road .

Finally, after 7.5 years and working on it 15 minutes at a time, it is finished with the excellent help of Bobby Moran (Cruiser Company in Little Rock) and his assistant Bernie along with the excellent help of the members and vendors on this forum.

We fired it up November 28th and after several drives up and down the road I drove it 22 miles to our garage in Little Rock. Finally sold the 5,900SF house and the 3,575sf shop with acreage and my business which consumed most of my free time. Freedom at last. I should have the time to post the build pics...and thanks again to the members and vendors for sharing their knowledge and experience.
That is an awesome thing my man... congratulations. Now it’s time to light that candle!!

I finally had a bit of time to finish the first of my fuel tank straps, though the rubber cover needs a bit more work. This of course is why my resto has taken 27 years and counting :)
IMG_4818.JPG

Last edited:
Finished up that Okie alignment today, it drifted to the right ever so slightly. Fixed that and centered the steering wheel.

Drove around for a little while.
20201205_145939.jpg
20201205_150245.jpg

I'd give both nuts to live in Montana or Idaho. Colorado was on the list but it's gone to hell with all the Leftists man bun skinny jeans whackos moving in.
Same here, don't worry, Montana has already been ruined!

Now that they're filming Yellowstone here in the valley it has really gotten out of hand.

Set the toe in at ZERO by the way, I've read some stuff regarding my Dodge recently that suggests dialing solid front axles in at dead nuts ZERO.

We'll see. It already has seemed to help on my Dodge.
Keep us posted. I’ve always done 2-3mm in on the tread surface. I’d like to know how it works out.

Keep us posted. I’ve always done 2-3mm in on the tread surface. I’d like to know how it works out.
So far it seems like it helps on my Dodge, it was kind of flighty so to say until I dialed it back to zero, now it tracks straight and doesn't feel as flighty as it did. I do know I need to adjust the caster on it though.

I ran my 40 today on the highway at 70ish, BARELY a grip on the steering wheel, at times I let go to see how it tracked. The true test will be how it treats the tires.

Drove it to the shooting range to get some trigger time in before Chairman Gavin Newsom Mao locks everything down tomorrow.

Parked next to a clean SOA 40 on 35's. It made my 40 with 2.5" lift and 33's look tiny.
Never did find the owner. After asking several people if they owned the Land Cruiser in the parking lot, and getting weird looks and head shakes I gave up.

IMG_2797.JPG
IMG_2799.JPG

Same here, don't worry, Montana has already been ruined!

Now that they're filming Yellowstone here in the valley it has really gotten out of hand.

Hey, easy there, I'm trying to get on that show......just to sniff the Montana soil. I found out a good friend of mine got a Producer gig for the last half of this season, I'm hoping he brings me on there for next season.

Then I to shall pose in the great outdoors with my trailered from LA 40!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom