What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (40 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What part of the original setup makes it loud? The 3-speed case? Nothing about my 40 has ever been quiet (anything over 65mph and it's pretty much deafening) but I've heard the straight-cute gears in the 3 speed case are noisy.
Loud compared to my '84 and '86 FJ60s. The weatherstripping around the doors is almost non-existent, there's no headliner, and there's no floor mat. The 3-speed case probably is noisier than the split case, so that should help. And the '71 will be getting all new OEM and City Racer weatherstripping.

Loud compared to my '84 and '86 FJ60s. The weatherstripping around the doors is almost non-existent, there's no headliner, and there's no floor mat. The 3-speed case probably is noisier than the split case, so that should help. And the '71 will be getting all new OEM and City Racer weatherstripping.

Got it, yes, a 40, in general, is loud compared to virtually anything! My truck is much the same - weather stripping is shot, headliner rests on my head, no mats, etc. Even the 4-speed case is pretty loud.

You won't be making jack rabbit starts or drag racing with the H41, but we're talking 40 Series

Don't tell @wngrog, hell he does it in a pig also!

I dislike the H41 and the H55 on the road. The H42 is the best spacing. Love it.

The quietest setup you can do is H42/55 to split case. If you want the crawl? Put 3:1 gears in the split Case. They reuse the stock high gears in the Tcase. Best of both worlds.

Add 3.70s and 255/85-16s and my FJ60 is a mere 300 rpm higher at 75 than my Pig with H55/split and 4.11s.

Worked on the bib some, need a set of early headlight assemblies.

20200228_141814.jpg

Did you use the F engine flywheel and 3-speed clutch?

Yes the 4 speed bell housing is just the shell. I`m using all of the current 3 speed components even the throw out bearing, Clutch release arm and the pivot ball. I had replaced the clutch about 4 years ago and the flywheel still has visible crosscut marks from the resurfacing.
JP

@mrboatman how do you like the H41 gearing on-road (if you've got it back on the road yet). I've got a H41 on my bench to rebuild right now, but I do worry about how low that first gear will "feel" on pavement. With a V8 I'm less worried, but I'm curious nonetheless.

I have not driven it yet. I don't see any heavy crawling in my future just general off road use in the desert and elk hunts. I`ll update ya when it's on the road.
JP

I have not driven it yet. I don't see any heavy crawling in my future just general off road use in the desert and elk hunts. I`ll update ya when it's on the road.
JP

Yeah same here my truck is probably 80% or more road driven and 20% off-road - somewhere between mild and intermediate but nothing insane (yet). Kind why I’m wondering if the H41 is overkill. Good news is I’ll still have my H42 kicking around if it winds up unbearable (I doubt it will be). It needs to come out for a rebuild either way so I’ll have no shortage of options.

Made some progress today. I was reminded that I`m not in my 30`s anymore dam I thought who tightened these dam bolts !! Then I thought s*** that was me :bang:. The 3 speed trans and transfer case seems to weigh a lot more also o_O. New rear main seal, pilot bearing and new locking tabs on fly wheel also still available from Toyota. Also tightened up the oil pan bolts they were all loose by a turn or so.
JP

IMG_3211.jpeg
IMG_3214.jpeg

@thebigredrocker

Per your request, this week's "progress":

Installed windshield bumpers and hooks so I could lay the windshield down and install the wiper assembly and replacement wiring harness. Also note the NOS windshield to cowl seal, which comes with mastic to stick the seal in place:

wiper wiring.jpg

Piddle projects con’t......
#1. Parking brakes: PO said the cable got hung up on a stump during a hunting trip some 20+ years ago - he didn’t bother to replace since he rarely needed
‘em... I followed that rationale until my truck started to roll away at the recycle compacter - on what seemed good level ground!
#2. Temp gauge: never moves very much even on hot GA days - new sender and one of @ToyotaMatt ‘s little boot/wire setups

FBCAB5FB-6170-4772-A212-6A754D8C969B.jpeg

Piddle projects con’t......
#1. Parking brakes: PO said the cable got hung up on a stump during a hunting trip some 20+ years ago - he didn’t bother to replace since he rarely needed
‘em... I followed that rationale until my truck started to roll away at the recycle compacter - on what seemed good level ground!
#2. Temp gauge: never moves very much even on hot GA days - new sender and one of @ToyotaMatt ‘s little boot/wire setups

View attachment 2224966
.....and after 20+ years she has parking brakes! (I can ditch the wheels chocks) :clap:
2AFFA0BD-E187-4022-8BEC-D7E5B4639B9F.jpeg

007F035C-14BE-4B95-B948-209107FE3A76.jpeg

The ground was still frozen enough to have my wife help me move a 95 carcass (future replacement for her rusty one) out of the back pasture to my old crappy pile barn in front of our 72 (awaiting time, better frame and 2fe).

Now she won’t be on my case about looking out the kitchen window and having to see the carcass anymore.

4F395FC9-75A5-4D89-947A-7AF668E92B9F.jpeg

A5296DB7-B239-4608-8A9A-3578D50980BB.jpeg

C8C90BDA-0CFB-4784-BB5A-EC9C91B38145.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom