What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (76 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally got around to installing the Dakota digital dash and found out the the fuel sending unit is not working so that will be the next project. I have to say I am very impressed with the Dakota Digital dash, it’s not perfect but it is really darn close. Took about 4 1/2 hours with a buddy who knows what he’s doing, not an install for a novice! The best part is I know have a tach in the 40.....

View attachment 2218915

View attachment 2218916
What don’t you like about the DD unit?

Decided it was time to remove the 3 speed and install the 4 speed (H41). I`ve been gathering parts for a while.
JP

IMG_3208.jpeg

Decided it was time to remove the 3 speed and install the 4 speed (H41). I`ve been gathering parts for a while.
JP

View attachment 2223973

What t-case, diff. ratio, and tire size are you going to run with the H41? I really like my H42+stock t-case+4.11's+33x10.50's combo...until I go offroad and want to go slower.
My dream combo: H41+Orion t-case+3.70 diffs+33's.

Same gearing and tire size as you. It is a 74 H41 with the stock transfer case. I just thought the lower first gear would be nice off-road.
JP

JP
What t-case, diff. ratio, and tire size are you going to run with the H41? I really like my H42+stock t-case+4.11's+33x10.50's combo...until I go offroad and want to go slower.
My dream combo: H41+Orion t-case+3.70 diffs+33's.
Same gearing and tire size as you. It is a 74 H41 with the stock transfer case. I just thought the lower first gear would be nice off-road.
JP

@mrboatman how do you like the H41 gearing on-road (if you've got it back on the road yet). I've got a H41 on my bench to rebuild right now, but I do worry about how low that first gear will "feel" on pavement. With a V8 I'm less worried, but I'm curious nonetheless.

I'm also torn between what transfer case I'll run behind it. I rebuilt my 1.9:1 4-speed case about 2000 miles ago, so it's fresh and ready to bolt right up, I've got the older 2.3:1 geared 3-speed transfer case with the 16-spline input gear I could use to mate to the H41, I'd just need to rebuild it. But, as @Brian/99uzj100 mentioned, I'm really coveting the Orion. I'm just not sure the investment in an Orion is worth the 15% of the time this truck sees off-road. Decisions Decisions... Basically, it's a question of whether I want 40:1 gearing offroad, 45:1, or 80:1 - and whether that 80:1 gearing will be necessary on the easy/intermediate trails I spend my time on...all I know is that less than 30:1 isn't cutting it right now. I spend more time stalling than crawling.

Last edited:
you will most likely be driving it like a 3spd.

I'm guessing you mean starting it in second? I've heard mixed things about this. One one hand a 4.9:1 first gear isn't as low as say...a SM420 or 465 granny first, but it's certainly low. I normally shift around 2500rpm with the V8, which is between 15 and 20mph on the H42. Would drop to around 11mph with the H41. Either way I can't get through an intersection before it's time to go to second. At least on paper that doesn't sound too bad. The flip side is - will a 2.6:1 ratio in second gear still be low enough to get the truck rolling without killing the clutch or lugging. Again, I'm guessing the answer is "yes" since I can pretty easily start my truck in second currently when my first gear synchro's don't cooperate.

Rw I put the Orion in years ago and thought at the time that it was the best mod. I don't drive as much off road as I did 5 years ago but when I do I am thoroughly impressed with it.

I like the Orion for a lot of reasons - bigger idler bearings and stronger case being two of them, lower gearing aside. It's a bit more weight, but really the only thing I don't like is the price - but nothing about these trucks are cheap...I'm mostly worried I'll spend $500 and some hour rebuilding a 3-speed case and still find myself not overly impressed with the gearing offroad. I know the "right" answer is the Orion in almost every way except financially!

@mrboatman how do you like the H41 gearing on-road (if you've got it back on the road yet). I've got a H41 on my bench to rebuild right now, but I do worry about how low that first gear will "feel" on pavement. With a V8 I'm less worried, but I'm curious nonetheless.

I'm also torn between what transfer case I'll run behind it. I rebuilt my 1.9:1 4-speed case about 2000 miles ago, so it's fresh and ready to bolt right up, I've got the older 2.3:1 geared 3-speed transfer case with the 16-spline input gear I could use to mate to the H41, I'd just need to rebuild it. But, as @Brian/99uzj100 mentioned, I'm really coveting the Orion. I'm just not sure the investment in an Orion is worth the 15% of the time this truck sees off-road. Decisions Decisions... Basically, it's a question of whether I want 40:1 gearing offroad, 45:1, or 80:1 - and whether that 80:1 gearing will be necessary on the easy/intermediate trails I spend my time on...all I know is that less than 30:1 isn't cutting it right now. I spend more time stalling than crawling.
My '76 FJ40 is set up with the original low-mileage 2F with FJ60 electronic ignition, an H41 mated to a 3-speed transfer case, 4.11 differentials, and 30X9.50R15 ATs. I had the same set-up, except for 235/75R15 ATs, at the first Solid Axle Summit in Ouray. We drove it up there from northern New Mexico (just over 200 miles) and it was OK but loud. And it did fine on all the trails, including Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, and Engineer Pass. For my '71 FJ40 build I decided to change things up a bit. I'll use another '76 2F with FJ60 ignition, but use a newer HJ47 H41 mated to a BJ45 split transfer case modified with a 3:1 gear set from Cruiser Outfitters, along with low-mileage 3.70 differentials I pulled from an FJ60 almost 20 years ago. I'll probably go with 70-Series 16" wheels and 235/85R16 ATs like on my '86 FJ60. I decided to make these changes to improve on-highway drivability for longer trips (Utah, etc.), but to keep lower gearing for the trails.

My '76 FJ40 is set up with the original low-mileage 2F with FJ60 electronic ignition, an H41 mated to a 3-speed transfer case, 4.11 differentials, and 30X9.50R15 ATs. I had the same set-up, except for 235/75R15 ATs, at the first Solid Axle Summit in Ouray. We drove it up there from northern New Mexico (just over 200 miles) and it was OK but loud. And it did fine on all the trails, including Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, and Engineer Pass. For my '71 FJ40 build I decided to change things up a bit. I'll use another '76 2F with FJ60 ignition, but use a newer HJ47 H41 mated to a BJ45 split transfer case modified with a 3:1 gear set from Cruiser Outfitters, along with low-mileage 3.70 differentials I pulled from an FJ60 almost 20 years ago. I'll probably go with 70-Series 16" wheels and 235/85R16 ATs like on my '86 FJ60. I decided to make these changes to improve on-highway drivability for longer trips (Utah, etc.), but to keep lower gearing for the trails.

What part of the original setup makes it loud? The 3-speed case? Nothing about my 40 has ever been quiet (anything over 65mph and it's pretty much deafening) but I've heard the straight-cute gears in the 3 speed case are noisy.

@mrboatman how do you like the H41 gearing on-road (if you've got it back on the road yet).
I'm guessing you mean starting it in second? I've heard mixed things about this.

I've been running my H41 for almost ten years, and love it.

The answer to your question depends a lot on your diff ratio and tire size. I am running 3.70 diffs and 33" tires. With this combo, the low 1st gear is nice and is comfortable to start out in 1st gear most of the time - the only time I start from a stop in 2nd gear is if I'm stopped pointing down-hill. You won't be making jack rabbit starts or drag racing with the H41, but we're talking 40 Series so no worries there regardless. With 4.11 diffs and/or smaller tires, it's going to feel a little lower, but for mine it is about perfect.

I've been running my H41 for almost ten years, and love it.

The answer to your question depends a lot on your diff ratio and tire size. I am running 3.70 diffs and 33" tires. With this combo, the low 1st gear is nice and is comfortable to start out in 1st gear most of the time - the only time I start from a stop in 2nd gear is if I'm stopped pointing down-hill. You won't be making jack rabbit starts or drag racing with the H41, but we're talking 40 Series so no worries there regardless. With 4.11 diffs and/or smaller tires, it's going to feel a little lower, but for mine it is about perfect.

Good to know - right now I'm on 31's with 4.11's but the plan is to likely move up to 33's in the future. I'll also agree that 3.7 gears would likely be a big on-road improvement with a H41 but that will likely be a longer term project.

Good to know - right now I'm on 31's with 4.11's but the plan is to likely move up to 33's in the future. I'll also agree that 3.7 gears would likely be a big on-road improvement with a H41 but that will likely be a longer term project.

they are a big improvement with the h42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom