What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (63 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

first valve adjustment I've done on this engine even though I've had it for over 21 years. But I've only put 1,465 miles on it since I bought it, and none since March 2000.
Wow. Do you not like driving it?

Finally finished building this bumper and spare/cooler carrier. Forgot to include a L plate mount so it's tied on with paracord.:doh:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d32.jpg

Then went here:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d29.jpg

and did this:

Wow. Do you not like driving it?
It's been patiently waiting its turn for its refresh/build. I finished my '86 FJ60 build in 2017 and have been working on the '71 since late last year. It currently has no transmission/transfer case, I sold that combination here on MUD last year. It'll be getting a low-mileage H41 from an Australian '84 HJ47 mated to a split transfer case with drum parking brake from a Belgian '85 BJ45. In the meantime I've been driving my '76 FJ40, including to and from the first Solid Axle Summit in Ouray in 2017 and to and from Chinle, AZ for the FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition briefcase handoff with @Reznugget and @mesa man, also in 2017. I'm hoping on having the '71 ready for SAS #4 next August.

Finally finished building this bumper and spare/cooler carrier. Forgot to include a L plate mount so it's tied on with paracord.:doh:
View attachment 2117442

Then went here:

View attachment 2117444

and did this:

Sweet bumper! Any chance you can take a photo of the latch? I am planning a bumper build and would like some ideas. Also, any chance you know the make and size of your wheels? They look good. Do they use spacers?

Sweet bumper! Any chance you can take a photo of the latch? I am planning a bumper build and would like some ideas. Also, any chance you know the make and size of your wheels? They look good. Do they use spacers?

US Wheel 044 17x9 custom back spacing (3.75") from Summit Racing, then gray powder coat locally. No spacers, some rear wheel well rub. US Wheel - Stealth Crawler (Series 044)
Latch was purchased in a kit from EMS Off Road. It is not correct for my application, not putting downward force on the arm. It is Destaco 344. I'm currently hunting for another solution. This is the version I'm eyballing : Pull Action Latch Clamps with Thumb Control Lever – 385 Series
@SMG has a very cool looking one but I don't know what it is.

It’s in!!!
A8C502E7-0262-4FAE-B185-EB252B45F5DF.jpeg

This thing is heavy. It took two of us to set it in place with the truck on the lift. Stout no doubt. I’m sure there are people who bench press this in place, but not I!! I haven’t driven it much yet. Hopefully soon.
Debating on a trip to St George in the beginning of November. Would love to hit sand hollow with someone who knows the area.

Last edited:
US Wheel 044 17x9 custom back spacing (3.75") from Summit Racing, then gray powder coat locally. No spacers, some rear wheel well rub. US Wheel - Stealth Crawler (Series 044)
Latch was purchased in a kit from EMS Off Road. It is not correct for my application, not putting downward force on the arm. It is Destaco 344. I'm currently hunting for another solution. This is the version I'm eyballing : Pull Action Latch Clamps with Thumb Control Lever – 385 Series
@SMG has a very cool looking one but I don't know what it is.
Great info - thanks Elfman!

Another nice day weather wise so after a hike through the canyons in town I did a compression test on the '76 2F in my '71 FJ40. Dry compression numbers (@7,240 feet elevation) were measured as follows:

#1 110 psi
#2 110 psi
#3 114 psi
#4 109 psi
#5 114 psi
#6 115 psi

This was a day after I adjusted the valves per specifications.

Corrected for altitude by dividing by 0.8047:

#1 137 psi
#2 137 psi
#3 142 psi
#4 135 psi
#5 142 psi
#6 143 psi

All cylinders were within 5.5% of each other, so I think the numbers look good for a 2F with unknown history that hasn't been run in ~18 years. Later this week I'll do a leak-down test, more snow in the forecast tomorrow.

East Fork Trail.jpg

A few winter photos (2011) of the same canyon:

East Fork Trail 2.jpg

East Fork Trail 3.jpg

Last edited:
It’s in!!!View attachment 2117732
This thing is heavy. It took two of us to set it in place with the truck on the lift. Stout no doubt. I’m sure there are people who bench press this in place, but not I!! I haven’t driven it much yet. Hopefully soon.
Debating on a trip to St George in the beginning of November. Would love to hit sand hollow with someone who knows the area.
Sent you a PM

Another nice day weather wise so after a hike through the canyons in town I did a compression test on the

Later this week I'll do a leak-down test, more snow in the forecast tomorrow.

View attachment 2118166

A few winter photos (2011) of the same canyon:

View attachment 2118209

View attachment 2118210
John, I just came back from hiking the Falls Trail on the East Fork, and Cerro Grande Trail. I was out there recovering a top-shift J30 and transfer case.

-Paul

Brakes are in order...
Drove back and forth over 100 times slamming the brakes. She stops very nicely for a non powered disc brake system.

But.... small leak detected in pass side front hose connection.

Tightened it up, no more leaky...

20191027_175257.jpg

Need to clean my damn garage.

Worked on some drivability issues before the colder weather gets here. I've had Downey smog legal headers for 16 years and my 40 has always been cold blooded.

A side note regarding the @Downey smog headers: What a great product. Mine are still going strong after nearly 17 years. No leaks and the only small areas of surface rust are from me jacking with different hot air hose connections. They were a true "seat of the pants" performance upgrade, and one of my favorite mods.
IMG_1795.JPG

I installed a fluid heat riser kit and a better fitting hot air riser hose from the header to the air cleaner, THANKS @GA Architect ! I ordered mine from "across the pond" as well.
IMG_1837.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

My thermo wax module on the hot air intake valve in the air cleaner has lost some of it's travel, it only opens or closes the valve 3/4 of the way. I've adjusted it then checked it cold and hot after driving in summer temps and I think it's worn out.

IMG_2037.jpg

Does anyone know if these thermo wax modules are still available from Toyota? Thanks in advance!
IMG_2004.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom