What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, we ran back to the refuge again this morning... I'm working hard to whip the boys and myself back into shape.

We hiked a number of yuge drainages, I hadn't ever seen before.

No rabbits today, but it was much warmer than yesterday, even with the same wind a'blowin'... I didn't realize how summer-ier it looks, until I viewed these pictures.

IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4183_LI (2).jpg

This video is on the drive out of the refuge... a rousing game of chicken was had... watch as much or as little as you like... after the Lexus, its all pretty redundant...

Well, we ran back to the refuge again this morning... I'm working hard to whip the boys and myself back into shape.

No rabbits today, but it was much warmer than yesterday, even with the same wind a'blowin'... I didn't realize how summer-ier it looks, until I viewed these pictures.

IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4183_LI (2).jpg

This video is on the drive out of the refuge... a rousing game of chicken was had... watch as much or as little as you like... after the Lexus, its all pretty redundant...

I lost a tooth filling just watching.

Today I went to investigate why the 40 wasn't starting. I hadn't started a few weeks back after driving just fine two weeks prior. I figured the connector on the idle cutoff solenoid had worked its way loose again.

Open the hood, find the connector from the solenoid wire to harness is good, but the wire was broken. Based on where it broke I figured it had been rubbing on the choke cable, but it seemed too clean. No big deal, stripped the wires and put some connectors on to get things back up and running.

Try to start it again, still nothing. Open up the hood and this time looking for anything else wrong, instead of laser focusing on what I thought was the problem, and I find a much bigger issue. The aftermarket harness I have that includes power to the electronic ignition is cut in multiple places. No power was getting to the cutoff solenoid or the unified ignition. #5 and #6 spark plug wires were cut at the dizzy and at the plug covers. Vacuum advance line from the carb to the dizzy was cut. :mad:

When I found the first wire bundle broken, I figured squirrels or what not. But the spark plug wires and vacuum line are far to cleanly cut to be critters.

Not what I needed to motivate me to clean up the wiring rats nest in the engine bay. The 40 was starting and driving reliably. So insurance claim is in, time to find a shop that can handle the harness work needed to get it back to driving.

The culprit is most likely a rodent. A few years ago I had a RV in the shop that ground squirrels had gotten in to by way of a whole in the body caused by a blow-out tire. These guys ate holes into every plastic water line in the rig, completely severing - neat and clean - in many spots. They were probably really thirsty after having done a number on much of the electrical.

IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4183_LI (2).jpg

Shaken not Stirred! WOW, I was laughin my butt off! My fam and I know how those wash board roads are in a forty series. :steer:

Keep on Rockin @Solace in Solitude !

@Solace in Solitude I am happy you and your pals are using it. Can't wait till mine is done enough to drive. Keep the encouraging photos coming!!

I have to stay “close” until I get this umbilical hernia repaired... now it’s delayed about three more weeks until I can get the results of a nuclear stress EKG. It’s only been two years since my last one... but, no op without pre-op, no pre-op without a happy cardiologist,

So, I’ve been going to the Refuge more, while it’s been too cool for snakes. Today and tomorrow are warm enough, but it’ll cool down about 10 degrees after that.

I need to spend a day changing fluids, lubing, etc., then I plan to take the boys into the Spring Mountains, from the US95 side.

The last time I went that way, my oem fuel pump crapped out. It was hot that day and every stone I moved had a scorpion under it.

I’ve since redesigned my fuel delivery system, with redundancy in mind, and hadn’t thought of that drive... should be fun and should provide ample photo ops.

Just awoke from a nap... more talkative than ever... sorry!!

Put these back on, as discussed in my build thread.

4685DFAC-77B4-4A9E-B147-8057556162B7.jpeg
15013A8C-D129-4CEE-9684-3CD0D85EFCD9.jpeg
5915C369-516B-4913-8DC3-7BC73F7A59D9.jpeg

replaced the steering rack and TRE's in our 99 UZJ100 with OEM parts

Edit: I Apologize for posting on wrong thread !:bang:

Last edited:
File this under future "What Have I Done to my Land Cruiser".

Saw a short discussion about auxiliary fuel tanks. The rear tank I purchased from BTB Products has started rusting inside so my fuel is rust colored. Can't be good for the carb or fuel pump. So I decided to take the plunge and contacted Mark at Marks Off-Road and purchased a plastic rear tank from him. Mark sent it out quickly, the price was fair and I am looking forward to installing it in place of the rust bucket and having clean gas going to the carb and engine. Thanks Mark!
DSCN0739.JPG

File this under an accessory for the Land Cruiser.

I purchased a camping trailer in Dec and once home made a list of things to alter or repair. Tops on the list was a new RTT and when I saw this one discounted by 20% at REI for members, I decided to get it. Free shipping to the store avoiding the $160 heavy freight charge and a further discount from REI next year of an additional 10% refund. Now all I have to do is get the 40 and trailer ready for the Carolina Relic Run in late April. (Was $1099 then reduced to 799 and with additional members discount I paid $561. With the yearly 10% refund it puts the cost down to $505.)
DSCN0740.JPG

File this under future "What Have I Done to my Land Cruiser".

Saw a short discussion about auxiliary fuel tanks. The rear tank I purchased from BTB Products has started rusting inside so my fuel is rust colored. Can't be good for the carb or fuel pump. So I decided to take the plunge and contacted Mark at Marks Off-Road and purchased a plastic rear tank from him. Mark sent it out quickly, the price was fair and I am looking forward to installing it in place of the rust bucket and having clean gas going to the carb and engine. Thanks Mark!
View attachment 1931485

File this under an accessory for the Land Cruiser.

I purchased a camping trailer in Dec and once home made a list of things to alter or repair. Tops on the list was a new RTT and when I saw this one discounted by 20% at REI for members, I decided to get it. Free shipping to the store avoiding the $160 heavy freight charge and a further discount from REI next year of an additional 10% refund. Now all I have to do is get the 40 and trailer ready for the Carolina Relic Run in late April. (Was $1099 then reduced to 799 and with additional members discount I paid $561. With the yearly 10% refund it puts the cost down to $505.)
View attachment 1931486
The tank in the photo is plastic?

The tank in the photo is plastic?

200-1501PFJ40 Auxiliary Fuel Cell. NEW ON THE MARKET! This tank was made to the same specifications as the legendary ConFerr auxiliary tank that is no longer being made. Thousands of dollars were spent to have a roto mold made to duplicate the tank in a race-approved, cross-linked polyethylene. The tank now shares the features of a full race tank which include dedicated outlet and return lines as well as a vent line. Tank DOES NOT INCLUDE the sending unit; they can be readily sourced elsewhere on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom