What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (107 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looks good.
how was the install? any modifications?

Lets see...this is what I did to my new-to-me 1991 TLC with 270K miles.

1. Remove the interior and power wash the carpet (It was horrible and matted down with years of grease and dirt)
2. Re-padded the interior and reinstalled the carpet (Looks good now!)
**Wiped down the the surfaces under the carpet. Nasty stuff, but I found about $5 worth of change!
3. Removed the dash and cleaned/replaced/fixed lots of little broken pieces that were missing.
4. Removed and repaired the steering column cover that was just hanging there rattling around.
5. Replaced several dash light bulbs so that I can see whats up at night
6. Reconditioned all of the window switches so that they all work now
7. Changed the oil (wow...didn't know it took 8.2 quarts!)
8. Changed the spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap (that back plug is a b**ch to get to on the 3FE)
9. Replaced both exterior mirrors with replica aftermarkets. Now I have power mirrors!!
10. Got it inspected. Now I can get it registered and be legit!

Whew, that was a busy weekend, but just the beginning. I also ordered CoverKing neoprene seat covers from Costco. $100 off right now!

Installed my OME Low height lift, banged my front bumper into place and installed a replacement front bumper corner

I would say the steering feels a little smoother. But I couldn't say it is night and day, because the steering feel was never that bad.

How does the steering feel with the new (rebuilt) steering box? Is it night and day?

it was not really a weekend, but today we had a lot of cruisers come out of the wood work for a tampa Bay area meet and greet.
IMG_20130416_190634_822_zpsb2f3f07e.jpg

IMG_20130416_190648_259_zps1f3b2015.jpg

IMG_20130416_190652_442_zpsa5824839.jpg

Got around to getting the front axle rebuilt. Birf soup started about a month ago. Wheel bearings and birfs were good, so buttoned up and feeling good. :hillbilly:

Did the front axle reconditioning and installed new birfs and installed slotted rotors and ceramic pads from Jonesy's. Also got the new u joints in the front axle will do the rears some time soon. Made it a whole new truck, I love it.

Replaced A/C tension adjusting bolt that disappeared during the front oil leak fix, and finally have A/C again! Adjusted parking brake shoes, replaced EVAP hoses to and from canister, and installed new OE breather valves to complete the diff ext. mod. Also added some OE drive belts and fusible links to the back-up parts bag.

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

Last edited:
Boy, a lot of front end servicing going on ! That's where I am, last week-end serviced the rear axles, this week-end pulled the fronts and found the reason for the growling left front. Replaced that birfield and all trunnion bearings, the rest looked fine. Gotta be road worthy for CruiseMoab !!:steer:

Being mostly broke about the only thing I could do that made it feel like I did something was picked up some PlastiDip and went to work. De-chromed front grill and lights finally and took a shot at the roof with white (sunroof doesn't work anyway). Thought it would help some since AZ summer is fast approaching. Did a half-ace job on the roof rail holes filling with some Daps Kwik Seal caulking and with the PD caked on top of that it's definitely not leaking. I've had great results with the PD, did the emblems and wheels on my wife's Mazda5 a couple of years ago and it hasn't budged. Thought it turned out good enough, still might round off the corners though. Only temporary anyway and won't be noticeable.

i pulled stumps out for my dad. in doing that i broke a chain 3 times amd put a large dent in the lower tailgate. and chipped a large (forearmed size) chipp in the lower middle. i got peeved off when i saw it.

Installed the AJIK Overland spare tire relocation kit. Highly recommended, and for $70 plus shipping, that's great. Spent about an hour doing it, and it raises the stock spare at least 2 inches, levelling it out. Josh at AJIK was very informative and helpful. Top notch vendor!

image-4211577956.jpg

Road trip to monster jam. And look who parked just outside my parking row:

image-2139161244.jpg

Pat

image-2139161244.jpg

Finally showed some love to my FZJ , got ff holes welded , fenders and rear quarters repaired and primed , tail gate emblems removed , and primed .... stareted the ceiling removal (which is a pita) to weld the roof rack holes ... and just finished intall of the metal tech 2" spacers these guys are sweet... super though i liked em way more that the maf 30 mm spacers , also installed new ome trim packers on 4 corners , removed sliders (which are for sales, weld ons) started design of new ones to match my new rear bumper , removed snorkel to clean and prime fender ... that was about it , cuz wifey only gave me 10 hours to work on it

2013-04-20 15.40.04.jpg

2013-04-20 15.16.16.jpg

2013-04-20 15.34.32.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom