What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oops, wrong oily pic in the other post.

ForumRunner_20130415_083241.jpg

ForumRunner_20130415_083309.jpg

Made some progress on my through-the-bumper hitch.

hitch1.jpg

Went to http://triplexrootbeer.com/ yesterday because my son had a Soccer tournament this whole weekend in Sammamish, WA. They had their 4th Annual All Jeep Show. People gave me bad looks when I parked my Landcruiser in the front row parking space where every Heeper was ordering! My ohana and I walked around and went to eat. Surprisingly we got the 1st window booth. Even the Heepers where checking the LC out. My 13yr old boy was like, look dad their checking out your truck. I told him their saying they should of gotten a Landcruiser!

Sent from my hawn finga using IH8MUD

Went to http://triplexrootbeer.com/ yesterday because my son had a Soccer tournament this whole weekend in Sammamish, WA. They had their 4th Annual All Jeep Show. People gave me bad looks when I parked my Landcruiser in the front row parking space where every Heeper was ordering! My ohana and I walked around and went to eat. Surprisingly we got the 1st window booth. Even the Heepers where checking the LC out. My 13yr old boy was like, look dad their checking out your truck. I told him their saying they should of gotten a Landcruiser!

Sent from my hawn finga using IH8MUD

Awesome. I live by triplexxxrootbeer and have never been. i get the same looks from jeep guys all the time. My 3 yr old son always tells me jeeps are janky, landcruisers are better!

Oops forgot about what the thread was for. Put together a list of parts needed for some minor maintenance.

Last edited:
Went to Yota and got a 3 for $10 oil filter for my '94...

Changed the oil from regular 5w30 to M1 0w40 synthetic.
I noticed a slight rattle sound after the change out but will have to find out where it's coming from...

Finally replaced my broomstick rear hatch lift with working new support arms.

Sent from Steve Jobs' soul using IH8MUD

image-2550860016.jpg

image-2159547485.jpg

Lift supports, another of many things on my to do list. Steve Jobs soul... Lol

I love living vicariously thru this thread. I need to go camping and off roading bad!

Busy weekend of wheeling, camping, and wrenching.

Took off with the family to Canada for a quick overnight camping trip at Harrison Lake, BC. With the help of the guys at the Coastal Cruisers club here on Mud, it was suggested that I take my brood to Hale Creek. Excellent suggestion guys!:clap: Amazing scenery with an entertaining bit of 4 wheeling to get there.

We were all excited to go on our trip…
[URL="http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/mikedebear/HarrisonLakeHaleCreek004_zpsf5c42e16.jpg"] [/URL]

And the wheeling once we got there was fun.
http://youtu.be/mGbC5n9YIXk

But we all played pretty hard and it was time to go home…
[URL="http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/mikedebear/HarrisonLakeHaleCreek034_zps25d19237.jpg"] [/URL]

Today was a wrenching day, and my brother gave me a big hand doing some upgrades to the Cruiser. We started off with drilling and fitting a new skidplate to his Jeep Rubicon, then installed Powerstop rotors and ceramic pads at all four corners of my 80.
[URL="http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/mikedebear/IMG_20130413_173033_zpsfd678293.jpg"] [/URL]

Following the brake job, we re-clocked the control lever on my new 12K HF winch to fit it’s new home on the HF winch plate. The winch plate was then fitted to the frame rails of the Cruiser with the help of a sawzall and the trusty flap disk. We ran out of steam to finish the winch project, but will pick it up next Saturday when I need to replace the sway bar mount that let go while wheeling this weekend. I do believe some new braided stainless brake lines will find their way aboard at that time as well…

Good choice on brakes, i just did the same kit and LOVE it! So diff than the stock setup! No need to change calipers ect...just get the Powerstop kit with rotors and pads....its night and day diff!

Lift supports, another of many things on my to do list. Steve Jobs soul... Lol

I got them off eBay for $40 shipped from a company called 'Lift Support Depot' out of Cali, and plug and play too. Took less than 5 minutes to install so a great experience. Now we'll see how long they last. Gonna order the hood supports from them this week as well.

Finally got around to swapping out my leaking steering box with a rebuilt unit from West Texas Off-road. Many thanks to Alberto (AlbertoSD) for lending me a hand and his expertise, it made the project go that much smoother.

Needless to say as seen in the second picture, I was a little to quick to install the sliding yoke onto the gear box and didn't have it aligned properly and now my steering wheel is off about a quarter of a turn. So that will be corrected this weekend.

IMG_8045.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

Good choice on brakes, i just did the same kit and LOVE it! So diff than the stock setup! No need to change calipers ect...just get the Powerstop kit with rotors and pads....its night and day diff!

Mine just arrived today :bounce: What all did you need to for the install? (seals, etc?)

Finally got around to swapping out my leaking steering box with a rebuilt unit from West Texas Off-road. Many thanks to Alberto (AlbertoSD) for lending me a hand and his expertise, it made the project go that much smoother.

Needless to say as seen in the second picture, I was a little to quick to install the sliding yoke onto the gear box and didn't have it aligned properly and now my steering wheel is off about a quarter of a turn. So that will be corrected this weekend.

How does the steering feel with the new (rebuilt) steering box? Is it night and day?

Mine just arrived today :bounce: What all did you need to for the install? (seals, etc?)

3 or 4 cans of brake clean, penetrating lube on various fastners and hubs, lots of rags or paper towel, a 54mm socket ($25 bucks on Amazon) to set the bearing tension, axle grease, a little RTV because my part time hubs were allowing water in while doing deep water crossings, and one new seal on the back of the axle hub because I mangled it while removing it. You might want to just pick up two, just so you have new seals. Only cost 6 bucks at Autozone...

Other than that, just an impact gun to press the hubs back in, various sockets & extensions, duckbill snap ring pliers (makes it waaay easier than standard snap ring pliers for the axle), a rubber mallet (nice but not necessary), a 2lb hammer, flat blade screwdriver to remove and replace the locking ring as well as help compress the caliper pistons, channel locks to compress the pistons, pry bar to help unseat the hub from the rotor, jack stands, latex gloves to protect your manicure, and a willing assistant to hand you tools.

The fronts took a while (disassembly of the hub and repacking/resetting tension on the bearings), where as the rears are simply remove the calipers, whack the rotor with a sledge a few times until the rust breaks free on the hub and it falls into your hands. Clean & lube your sliders and you're done in ten minutes per side if you are taking your time.

While I was in there I noticed my brake lines were swollen and cracked all around. A call to Man-a-fre went in and I have a seven hose set of braided stainless lines on the way for $175. Not a bad deal, within a few dollars of dealership replacement lines.

You will really like these rotors and pads. BIG difference in bite. On the freeway it scrubs off speed with authority now and has much better modulation than the old ones. They only get better as they wear in I'm finding.

Good luck!

I got them off eBay for $40 shipped from a company called 'Lift Support Depot' out of Cali, and plug and play too. Took less than 5 minutes to install so a great experience. Now we'll see how long they last. Gonna order the hood supports from them this week as well.

Got my hood and hatch supports from them off eBay. Seem to be working good for the past 4 months at least.

Coming from wherever with mobile MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom