What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5 I guess I can’t count? Enlighten me cruiser guru!

EC929624-DC6C-4A47-AA4D-1BE8E5A2F55B.jpeg

Not that I've been able to tell. Right now, the internals are broken so I cannot get a screwdriver into it.

That's what I was going for, but I have to remove the aluminum tube-looking thing on the stand-off first. That's where the guts are broken internally and the ignition switch is screwed to the back of it.

At this level of tear down, the steering wheel has to be manually held unlocked and the shifter lock is kinda funky.

I was (am) looking for a way to jury-rig it to make it so I can drive it home or just drive it for work.

Still talking with Toyota to find out availability of parts. It's not looking good.

I have to cut off the bolts that hold all that to the column. The new bolts are torque to shear heads.
This is somewhat common In the 100 series. Lots of info there, never heard of it in an 80. System looks very similar, surely not the same though. If you can get long, thin needle nose or hemostats in there to twist the broken piece or remove it you should be able to get past the shift and steering locks. The ignition switch should unscrew from the back and you can start it by twisting the inside piece.

Replaced what I'm thinking is the original fuel filter with 223k on it. Might just be in my head but seems like it starts faster.

Was pretty easy compared to some of the threads on it. Trickiest part was getting both of the outlet side gaskets on either side of the banjo bolt/fuel fitting.

292377494_2171535536354298_2599938730641155403_n.jpg

Replaced what I'm thinking is the original fuel filter with 223k on it. Might just be in my head but seems like it starts faster.

Was pretty easy compared to some of the threads on it. Trickiest part was getting both of the outlet side gaskets on either side of the banjo bolt/fuel fitting.

View attachment 3060931
You lucked out, because usually it's a PITA.

@bhsdriller mine wasn’t a pain either, and also assuming it was original (almost same mileage at the time). Did you cut your old one open? Mine was nasty. Doesn’t seem to run any differently in my case, but I feel better about it.

BF4CF101-0444-47FF-8F01-FCFAD14824C4.jpeg

Thursday I did another ATF drain/fill and am calling it good now, and also an engine-off PS fluid exchange, which included replacing the original hardened return line.

Today I refilled my knucks to satisfactory level and did a cheapo field-style fix for my rear wiper - the teeth holding the bolt in place on the inner assembly are stripped. 1/16 hole, and used the solid end of the bit as a peg (wire wasn’t stiff enough). Hey, it’s out of sight and it brought my rear wiper back for now.

A3DA04FE-AC41-4792-8C16-602D77C5F165.jpeg

Got my shopping cart filled with a front axle rebuild kit and can’t decide if I am man enough to tackle the front axle or not…

Send it!!!

@bhsdriller mine wasn’t a pain either, and also assuming it was original (almost same mileage at the time). Did you cut your old one open? Mine was nasty. Doesn’t seem to run any differently in my case, but I feel better about it.

Not yet but I was curious so might cut it open tomorrow

Yeah if anything it's one less thing to worry about

Got my shopping cart filled with a front axle rebuild kit and can’t decide if I am man enough to tackle the front axle or not…
If I’m missing an inside joke and you’re actually a brawny beast who eats knuckles for breakfast, pardon me

If not, check out the knuckle videos on youtube from 6th gear garage, 2nd gear low, and otramm.

Last edited:
Did a quick under carriage clean, greased the steering wheel hubs and some bits and pieces.

Took lots of photos the right side has some rust issues that need addressing the left is ok.
exhaust.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 12.55.16 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 12.55.15 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 12.55.16 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 12.55.15 PM (1).jpeg

If I’m missing an inside joke and you’re actually a brawny beast who eats knuckles for breakfast, pardon me

If not, check out the knuckle videos on youtube from 6th gear garage, 2nd gear low, and otramm.
I’d like to think of myself as a brawny beast, but my wife would prolly tell ya otherwise. I’ll definitely check out those vids. Thanks for this info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom