What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (45 Viewers)

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet

Redgrrr

I have a problem with 40s
Website
dakotacruisers.com
A few pics from Iceman @ the Black hills cruiser classic

7DAC4057-3C5E-4287-8035-33240FFE538B.jpeg

30F22E7D-8544-43A9-BB77-0E7ACEB3C7EB.jpeg

2B818DA3-1D15-40CC-A103-F91A71477A1A.jpeg

Spent a nice weekend camping in the mountains with friends then got an awful knocking noise on the way back to town. It took a while to notice it because my camp stove rattles in the truck and I was listening to the stereo. By the time I really noticed the noise was not just my gear rattling around, turned off the stereo, determined it was coming from the truck and found a safe place to stop it was knocking and rattling like the dickens. Lost maybe 40% power by the very end and temp crept up to 207 (would normally be around 187 under these conditions). It did not lose oil pressure according to the gauge, did not lose oil. Fan and belts all tight and normal, no leaks other than the same old ones. Engine died as I rolled to a stop in D (did not turn off ignition). I was able to fire it up again, but the noise was terrible, so I just shut it back down right away.

I'm pretty sure the engine is toast, but I haven't had time to fully look into it. 340k miles, so I'm not too sore about it, but it was running like a top with no symptoms just the day before.

Any theories as to anything other than internal engine failure that might cause a clattering, knocking noise like a motor in it's death throes? Definitely not coming from the PS pump, but I could not pinpoint where the noise originates other than "from the engine." Timing chain? Water pump? Kind of afraid to start it up.

View attachment 3056194

And kudos to the tow truck guy for helping me get it into the garage without starting it up.

View attachment 3056195

Yup, confirmed dead. Glitter in the oil. Time of death: 337,681

pour-drink.gif

Fixed this post, mirror garnish.

By far this is one of the better epoxy’s I’ve used, WEST Epoxy.

Post/mount was broke in 3 places. The tip ball was broke off also. I drilled it with a .037” bit and used a piece of .032 ss lock wire as a post between the 2

image.jpg

Last edited:

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Not that I've been able to tell. Right now, the internals are broken so I cannot get a screwdriver into it.

That's what I was going for, but I have to remove the aluminum tube-looking thing on the stand-off first. That's where the guts are broken internally and the ignition switch is screwed to the back of it.

At this level of tear down, the steering wheel has to be manually held unlocked and the shifter lock is kinda funky.

I was (am) looking for a way to jury-rig it to make it so I can drive it home or just drive it for work.

Still talking with Toyota to find out availability of parts. It's not looking good.

I have to cut off the bolts that hold all that to the column. The new bolts are torque to shear heads.
This is somewhat common In the 100 series. Lots of info there, never heard of it in an 80. System looks very similar, surely not the same though. If you can get long, thin needle nose or hemostats in there to twist the broken piece or remove it you should be able to get past the shift and steering locks. The ignition switch should unscrew from the back and you can start it by twisting the inside piece.

White Sheep

SILVER Star
Replaced what I'm thinking is the original fuel filter with 223k on it. Might just be in my head but seems like it starts faster.

Was pretty easy compared to some of the threads on it. Trickiest part was getting both of the outlet side gaskets on either side of the banjo bolt/fuel fitting.

View attachment 3060931
You lucked out, because usually it's a PITA.

@bhsdriller mine wasn’t a pain either, and also assuming it was original (almost same mileage at the time). Did you cut your old one open? Mine was nasty. Doesn’t seem to run any differently in my case, but I feel better about it.

BF4CF101-0444-47FF-8F01-FCFAD14824C4.jpeg

Thursday I did another ATF drain/fill and am calling it good now, and also an engine-off PS fluid exchange, which included replacing the original hardened return line.

Today I refilled my knucks to satisfactory level and did a cheapo field-style fix for my rear wiper - the teeth holding the bolt in place on the inner assembly are stripped. 1/16 hole, and used the solid end of the bit as a peg (wire wasn’t stiff enough). Hey, it’s out of sight and it brought my rear wiper back for now.

A3DA04FE-AC41-4792-8C16-602D77C5F165.jpeg

Got my shopping cart filled with a front axle rebuild kit and can’t decide if I am man enough to tackle the front axle or not…

Send it!!!

Got my shopping cart filled with a front axle rebuild kit and can’t decide if I am man enough to tackle the front axle or not…
If I’m missing an inside joke and you’re actually a brawny beast who eats knuckles for breakfast, pardon me

If not, check out the knuckle videos on youtube from 6th gear garage, 2nd gear low, and otramm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom