What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I initially didn't want to share my moment of shame but I feel like I must confess and atone.

My rear brakes were making noise. Then my braking power noticably diminished. I ordered new pads and rotors immediately.

This is what I discovered on the driver side.

20220712_164357.jpg

:flush:

I initially didn't want to share my moment of shame but I feel like I must confess and atone.

My rear brakes were making noise. Then my braking power noticably diminished. I ordered new pads and rotors immediately.

This is what I discovered on the driver side.

View attachment 3057781

:flush:
But they just started squealing!

Well, the ignition tumblers broke unexpectedly. The parts I now need to replace are:

(Qty 1) 45280A (45280-60290) BRACKET ASSY, STEERING COLUMN, UPPER
(Qty 2) 45897 (45897-60010 superseded by 45897-12020) BOLT, STEERING LOCK SET

It's dead in the water until I can install something. I had to use a forklift to move it into the building. Fortunately it happened in front of our warehouse at work.

It took me about an hour to dig into the dash to find the problem. Finding a replacement and getting it swapped will take a bit longer.

View attachment 3056273View attachment 3056274

View attachment 3056276
Well, I got it running again. I'm going to post a how to thread here for the 80 section, as this is common for the 100 series but not the 80's.

It's not "hard" now that I know what I'm doing. Hopefully I can help others when this happens again. I'm only aware of myself and one other that have had this issue.

Drove it to the lake for some night fishing.

20220712_202939.jpg
20220712_224212.jpg

20220712_221604.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I got it running again. I'm going to post a how to thread here for the 80 section, as this is common for the 100 series but not the 80's.

It's not "hard" now that I know what I'm doing. Hopefully I can help others when this happens again. I'm only aware of myself and one other that have had this issue.
It is definitely a pain.
I had this happen 10 years ago at Cruise Moab while on the trail. Key stuck in the ignition while the truck was running. Couldn't turn the key to ACC in order to remove the lock cylinder. Spent hours working on it with trail tools.
Not fun. Glad you figured it out.

Parted with it. Honestly loved it a lot more than my LX570 but keeping the newer better maintained rig is the responsible choice. Say hi to the new owner in Corpus Christi if y'all see it.
View attachment 3057942
I've struggled with deciding if I want to sell mine for a few years now. I'm trying to fix a few small things I don't like to see if that changes my mind.

Anybody order overhaul kits recently? Looking at ordering 04112-66036 which is valve grind kit. Question is if I order 04111-66036/30 I think 30 superceeds does it come with the grind kit plus all the misc gaskets? That’s what I am assuming but I’m not sure even on parts ouq I’m not sure. Thanks in a Advance.

Anybody order overhaul kits recently? Looking at ordering 04112-66036 which is valve grind kit. Question is if I order 04111-66036/30 I think 30 superceeds does it come with the grind kit plus all the misc gaskets? That’s what I am assuming but I’m not sure even on parts ouq I’m not sure. Thanks in a Advance.

04111-66061 is the 105 version and interchangeable with the FZJ80.

Handy thread here.

04111-66061 is the 105 version and interchangeable with the FZJ80.

Handy thread here.
So that kit has the valve guides and such? It’s cheeper than the 036 and includes the same? I have seen pics of your unicorn brand new engine and like it!

So that kit has the valve guides and such? It’s cheeper than the 036 and includes the same? I have seen pics of your unicorn brand new engine and like it!
It's the COMPLETE 1FZ-FE OEM engine gasket kit and if you read the thread I linked you to, it mentions that it does indeed come with the valve stem seals my friend. As for pricing, I dunno. Prices change all the time.

More details in that same thread here credit to @BILT4ME.

Last edited:
It's the COMPLETE 1FZ-FE OEM engine gasket kit and if you read the thread I linked you to, it mentions that it does indeed come with the valve stem seals my friend. As for pricing, I dunno. Prices change all the time.

More details in that same thread here credit to @BILT4ME.
Ultimate credit for that goes to @OGBeno

I got 04111-66061 from partsouq for about half the price as the fzj80 version , including shipping. It comes with everything you need.

I think I got the idea from @SNLC or @COYS not sure, but it's been discussed thoroughly as mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom