What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to rebuilding the right side (driver's side for me) front knuckle. Did the left side back in September. Only took me 10 hours, compared to the 13 it took to do the left side. I credit the saved time to (1) familiarity with the process (left side was first time I'd done anything like this), and (2) investing in a cheap $30 bearing/seal driver set. This made removing and replacing seals and bearing races SO much easier and faster vs. a brass drift + hammer.

The only major delay I had with this one was when I accidentally installed the lower knuckle bearing race upside down! Thankfully I quickly found @Jackal301 's super helpful post here, and it saved the day! easy-method-to-get-upside-down-races-out.1214435/

I can see with more comfort and familiarity (I'm still referencing YouTube the whole time) and zero "problems," I could probably shave this job down to about 8 hours or so for each side. Hopefully it will be many years before I'm doing it again. For you Mudders who claim to do BOTH sides in about that same amount of time, you're either amazing mechanics worthy of much respect, or you're full of :poop: , lol!

I also put some "chrome" skins on my side mirrors this past weekend. Picked these up for around $25 on AliExpress. Perfect fit, and look pretty sharp with the rest of the chrome trim, IMO:

BEFORE
IMG_20220109_134716820.jpg

IMG_20220109_134726216 (1).jpg

AFTER
IMG_20220109_135143933.jpg

IMG_20220109_135151027.jpg

Nice, i miss N. Georgia.
This is actually East TN / Oliver Springs / Windrock OHV. It's the tits. There was a big group from Birmingham, AL, Nashville, TN and Lexington, KY that all met up for @Bama4door 's Coal Creek Winter Summit 4.0. Good trails, people and times for sure.

Replaced the big end bearings for peace of mind, there is 574,000 km on the old girl now and the last 100,000 at around 3 times the factory boost level. The old ones showed no signs of delamination and the internals look good, no sludge build-up at all, the benefit of changing the oil often. Also one battery dropped a cell 2 weeks before the 3 year warrantee expired at the same time the store had a sale on, usually $265aud each, down to $201aud each. so I now have 2 new batteries that only cost me $201 instead of $530 :)
20220114_125405.jpg
20220114_125425.jpg
20220114_135116.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't do anything but I got my tracking for my new fuel filter/water separator housing from partsouq. It'll be here about the same time I expect my lc to be back from the trans shop

Made some sun shields for the cargo windows, will tint the rear window eventually so I can still see through it. Dual battery added with a cheap fridge/freezer; it works a treat. Previous owner made his own shelves and fridge slide and I am super grateful; sturdy and well made. With the cargo cage installed, the boot area is now isolated and can be loaded up to the max without fear of getting punched by an air compressor in an accident.

First thing I did was take it out and get stuck. At least the window was level with a nice lawn and my mate winched me out so I didnt have to get muddy! Same cant be said for the 80 though...

Also ticked over 360,000kms on this outing!

20220115_163355.jpg
20220105_123906.jpg
20220115_163446.jpg
20220116_171858.jpg
received_473496514185722.jpeg
received_708312263906997.jpeg

After 3 months without a vehicle, the 80 is back! My old 1FZ decided to empty itself of oil at 80mph. I had to take a cheaper route of swapping in a used 1FZ, but it runs amazing. Very happy and glad to have a car again.

IMG_0092.jpg

After 3 months without a vehicle, the 80 is back! My old 1FZ decided to empty itself of oil at 80mph. I had to take a cheaper route of swapping in a used 1FZ, but it runs amazing. Very happy and glad to have a car again.

View attachment 2900553
I read your other thread, but didnt see what caused your catastrophic oil loss? Or was is just a slow leak and ran it low for too long?

I read your other thread, but didnt see what caused your catastrophic oil loss? Or was is just a slow leak and ran it low for too long?
I honestly don’t know. I knew it was burning a little oil and I was adding a quart every 1k miles but it was just gone on the highway. No signs of it pouring out underneath so my only guess is something happened internally and it was burning at an extreme rate.

My truck has been used hard for the past year and was in serious need of a cleaning, more than just a wash. I busted out the polisher and tried to clean up some of the scratches and other signs of the past year of hard trips. I'm no pro detailer, and my truck definitely has dings and dents etc that won't get fixed without some real bodywork but the 25 year old paint cleaned up pretty well.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom