What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (134 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Prevent d fence on the fuel pump. New OEM unit swapped in,all the gaskets and rubber bits plus clamps from T.

Was going to do the sending unit, but I couldn’t get a couple of small screws off without a VIS driver so left it alone.
When in there did you happen to notice if the hose feeding the charcoal canister coming from the tank had a fuel float shut off? I forget what the FSM references but it calls for something there and I would assume this is what it is.

Replaced the master cylinder proactively and ran a half gallon of brake fluid through the system to bleed and flush. The pedal now creeps slowly down instead of getting completely firm. ARGH :bang:

How did you bleed it? By pumping the brake pedal?

How old is the master?

OEM?

Could be the master or air is coming in from somewhere. Bleeder, hose, lspv or any fitting that was touched in the process.

Also look for a Balooned hose.

Maybe - No leaks though, and I'd assume if air can get in, fluid under pressure could get out.

System still has ABS and has a new (OEM) LSPV.

Wondering if there's fluid getting past the seals on the accumulators in the ABS unit. Not exactly sure how to test that though.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Well I got nothin' then.

Hmmm. Well I got nothin' then.
That makes me feel slightly better for not being able to figure it out, but a whole lot worse for actually diagnosing the issue. :doh:

I just went through and did this similar job, I used a vacuum bleeder the first time but it was sucking air in past the threads on the bleeder screw, so the second time I did single person, loop of hose routed up above the bleeder into a bottle half filled with brake fluid and just worked the brakes slowly. From far to near, and it worked much better.

These old trucks all have their separate issues. I think people have different issues that makes bleeding a pain from the LSV, to old ABS, bad lines, slightly bad masters, etc.

So there isn’t one perfect solution for all. I will be dumping my ABS at some point just because it’s a system I don’t trust after 25 years and replacements parts if available must be astronomical...

When in there did you happen to notice if the hose feeding the charcoal canister coming from the tank had a fuel float shut off? I forget what the FSM references but it calls for something there and I would assume this is what it is.
Not sure what you’re asking. Perhaps this thread helps.

Not sure what you’re asking. Perhaps this thread helps.
All good, I believe there is a separate vent or evap line elsewhere inside the tank the leads to the Charcoal canister, Wasn't sure if you were sticking you head inside the tank looking around lol. I think it has a float attached to the hose to prevent fuel from going into the hose when not on level ground sealing the tube,

Replaced the master cylinder proactively and ran a half gallon of brake fluid through the system to bleed and flush. The pedal now creeps slowly down instead of getting completely firm. ARGH :bang:
didn't someone recently post this and the fix was some sort of adjustment on the push rod needed to be done?

All good, I believe there is a separate vent or evap line elsewhere inside the tank the leads to the Charcoal canister, Wasn't sure if you were sticking you head inside the tank looking around lol. I think it has a float attached to the hose to prevent fuel from going into the hose when not on level ground sealing the tube,
Nope. I wanted to get in and out of this fuel pump job ASAP. Felt a little uneasy to have all that fuel + smells exposed. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom