What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (85 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to take the axles off and REALLY do a serious job cleaning up the frame and axles before coating them. Loving this warmer weather!!
IMG_7866.jpg

I feel like I just attended a gay pride parade with all these colors everyone has going on :oops:
I wish everyone would go back to black, suppose this comes with more cost. Prepping the sway bar front/ rear. More beefy bolting on...
Most the day spent scuffing up YZ and this awful blue to go black.
5598A3AB-2FE7-4D64-925A-92E856FAA3BD.jpeg

71D3BA9B-3538-4C51-A0A6-6F09B17EFA67.jpeg

The Lx needed a break from the Daily Duty Grind, so I loaded up the family then took a 2 hour drive South to Oceano Dunes. Took a quick spin down the beach then a few quick pics & ate some Fish & Chips in Pismo. We could of done all that in the Honda mini van, but the cruiser was more fun, well for at least me.
20210505_162019.jpg
20210505_175528.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like I just attended a gay pride parade with all these colors everyone has going on :oops:
I wish everyone would go back to black, suppose this comes with more cost. Prepping the sway bar front/ rear. More beefy bolting on...
Most the day spent scuffing up YZ and this awful blue to go black.
View attachment 2668364
View attachment 2668366
Did you do new end links also?

The Lx needed a break from the Daily Duty Grind, so I loaded up the family then took a 2 hour drive South to Oceano Dunes. Took a quick spin down the beach & took a few quick pics then ate some Fish & Chips in Pismo. We could of done all that in the Honda mini van, but the cruiser was more fun, well for at least me. View attachment 2668367View attachment 2668368
Wow you are low. I am all for big tires with little lift, but this seems pushing it. Maybe I'm wrong though how do you like it set up like this?

Added some rubber spring isolators to quiet these down. They chatter quite a lot! This photo is the initial placement to see if it worked. It sure did. They are quiet now. I’ll probably re-install on the top coil, then every other coil for the first 6 coils. Thanks again @bajaphile for the solution! View attachment 2667473
Is noise a characteristic of these springs that requires rubber isolators to eliminate?

Wow you are low. I am all for big tires with little lift, but this seems pushing it. Maybe I'm wrong though how do you like it set up like this?
Yeah, Ive been pushing the limits of how low can you go... in the end Ive lost the ability to go fast type off-road. Meaning I cant do bombing runs though terrain like I did with the 75mm Slinky set up. At empty ride height I have 4" of up travel, but once I get my adult size family & dogs get in Im like you see with 2" of up travel. Its super stable though...

Since Ive played with the full spectrum of lifts & tires the sweet spot on a 80 series is 3.5" lift & 37s.

Last edited:
Good news: picked up my rear bumper pieces from the laser cutter yesterday.
Bad news: head gasket decided it had waited long enough yesterday. Made it to 316k miles. I feel like I got lucky though. I came to almost a complete stop for traffic, noticed the temp gauge move and heard something. I was right at an exit so pulled over at a gas station. Literally drove it maybe 500 ft. It runs smooth still so I'm hopefully no permanent damage.

I found this thread:

I'll probably order new exhaust studs/etc seeing as I'm sure at least one of those fkers is going to be a pain.

Is this still the good p/n for a 96 head gasket kit?

04112-66036​

Did you order oem rubber or that super bushing rubber?
All super pro at this point outside the OEM SB end ties to the frame. Being a 30mm upgrade I was thinking the OEM wouldn't work? Wits end should really consider a 30mm mount and bushing set. The OEM SW mounts he has look nice. Unfortunately the rubber in the SP 30mm kit is all an ugly blue also and the SB axle end is a larger hole and includes bushing as well. I didn't realize this and not sure I'm liking that.
My guess is the whiteline 30mm SB is from the exact same manufacture, just painted a different color and re-badged. I just went this route since Cruiser Outfitters is a bit more local and already getting a pile of parts from them. If I'm wrong and the whiteline has the smaller factory size axle mount holes, I would have gone that route,
Pairing up with the LP disconnect and LT beefy axle mounts. Hope its solid and plays well together,,,,

Prevent d fence on the fuel pump. New OEM unit swapped in,all the gaskets and rubber bits plus clamps from T.

Was going to do the sending unit, but I couldn’t get a couple of small screws off without a VIS driver so left it alone.

BB426483-3A33-48F0-8441-B9BCEE9D6C24.jpeg

3354B0A6-8B50-486E-A289-9BEE019E6C04.jpeg

09650BBF-CED9-420F-82A9-1810EB55D4EC.jpeg

1B8CDB9D-8133-43B2-94C9-F3198299C208.jpeg

Also did my first diy engine oil change . Only took 3 years and 40k miles. 🤪

Needed this cool T oil wrench to get the big can off.

17ECA28F-F3F9-486F-83B7-930D1424602F.jpeg

Last edited:
One step further along in my very protracted engine swap. The 1FZ has been on the engine stand for many months and I finally got it off the stand and constructed a wooden cradle so that I can reattach the transmission. Once that's done I just need to set aside a block of time and dive in.

IMG_6157.JPG
IMG_6158.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom