What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (89 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent way too long on a spark plug job.

Bottom grommets stuck to the plugs. I used silicone brake grease in the install, with dielectric grease on the tip and antiseaze on the tthread's.

View attachment 2544821

Started measuring out and laser cutting window covers.
View attachment 2544822

Spent way too long on a spark plug job.

Bottom grommets stuck to the plugs. I used silicone brake grease in the install, with dielectric grease on the tip and antiseaze on the tthread's.

View attachment 2544821

Started measuring out and laser cutting window covers.
View attachment 2544822
I just hit190k and decided to replace cap, rotor, and plugs due to rough idle. Replacing wires next. Is dielectric necessary on the electric connection and on the end of the boot?

I just hit190k and decided to replace cap, rotor, and plugs due to rough idle. Replacing wires next. Is dielectric necessary on the electric connection and on the end of the boot?
Not necessary

What setup did you go with, IE flange pattern length and spline type.
X-spline was only $20 more, which is what I went with. I did the XC style boot as I rock crawl in the desert mostly.

Pattern if 60x60 on the FJ. Length is specific to your vehicle, lift and load. You have to measure it and they custom make the length.

I’m in Scotland and well priced parts are hard to come by. Ended up ordering the window rubbers from Australia. Bit worried I was going to get New Old Stock that had been sitting on a shelf for 20 years, but they came nice and soft and easy to fit
Thanks good to know. Wish I had a landcruiser when I did the Cuillan Ridge 30 years ago. Maybe I could have spent more time in the pub at the end of the day eh?

Did my belts today

Some idiot had put non OEM toothed belts on that were too short and very noisy

Thought I was going to need a new idler or tensioner but was just those horrible belts making all the racket, and now she purrs like a kitteh

Unfortunately sheared two bolts off the bash plate *cringe*, but I'll get that sorted down the line

I've had a bad back. Land Cruiser yoga seems to have cured me, mostly. Use it or lose it

Axle rebuild next. Getting some odd noises from offside front. Will probably put in new wheel bearings while I'm at it, and get some cheapo pattern birfs just incase they're mangled and need swapped. Toyota prices for those things are eye watering 😬

The other day, when I was messing with the battery, I tried to open the hatch and the handle moved freely. Got inside and popped it open from there and started troubleshooting. Found the plastic clip on the inside was broken and wouldn't stay in when I shut the hatch.

PXL_20210224_183152373-XL.jpg

Did some searching and found this thread.

CruiserDrew was a life saver linking to this on Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B07RWWB12Z
I thought I'd get just one but nope, it's a bag of them for six bucks delivered.

PXL_20210224_183728431-XL.jpg

Good one on the right, broken tab on the left.

PXL_20210224_183309753-XL.jpg

Slight problem though, if you look at the top part, it's narrower than the Toyota one. Better seen here.

PXL_20210224_183653865-XL.jpg

It snapped on tight, and stayed.

PXL_20210224_183427184-XL.jpg

I wasn't completely sure it'd hold though so I put a small zip tie around it to hold it tight. Forgot to take a picture of that but you know what a zip tie looks like. Maybe this'll help someone else. Simple fix, two phillips screws, a bunch of push pins that actually DON'T break when you pop them out, and replace the plastic part.

I’m in Scotland and well priced parts are hard to come by. Ended up ordering the window rubbers from Australia. Bit worried I was going to get New Old Stock that had been sitting on a shelf for 20 years, but they came nice and soft and easy to fit
Who did you order from? I need to do mine as well.

Got a little further in the drawer/sleeping platform build. Just need to finish wings, add some access doors up front, and create a dog ramp for the pup so he doesn't try to kill himself every time he wants to get into the LC.

20210217_205919_resized.jpg
20210217_205525_resized.jpg

Also mocked up my roof rack side rails - I changed the angle in the front to match the windshield and a few minor tweaks before cutting this out of 3/16" aluminum.

IMG_20210216_100846.png
IMG_20210216_075827_resized.png
Roof Rack.jpg

Got a little further in the drawer/sleeping platform build. Just need to finish wings, add some access doors up front, and create a dog ramp for the pup so he doesn't try to kill himself every time he wants to get into the LC.

View attachment 2596082View attachment 2596081

Also mocked up my roof rack side rails - I changed the angle in the front to match the windshield and a few minor tweaks before cutting this out of 3/16" aluminum.

View attachment 2596083View attachment 2596084View attachment 2596090
Ok. SO THAT IS PRETTY COOL!

View attachment 2596082View attachment 2596081

View attachment 2596083View attachment 2596084View attachment 2596090

nice!! I wanna see that drop down tire carrier.

Last edited:
Got a little further...

Also mocked up my roof rack side rails - I changed the angle in the front to match the windshield and a few minor tweaks before cutting this out of 3/16" aluminumView attachment 2596090

What are you using for clamps to hold it on? Looks great!! Be prepared to have 50 people asking you to make a set now too.

What are you using for clamps to hold it on? Looks great!! Be prepared to have 50 people asking you to make a set now too.
Haha! I'm in the process of sourcing something (found what I need) but also don't want to infringe on any of the other vendors making similar products.

I ordered this on a weekend....... got it delivered and installed today.
View attachment 2594428

I really needed a spare tire cover cause this spare is going on 5 years old. I want it to last until my next set of tires in another 2 or 3 years but I was afraid it wouldn't last that long in the constant southern Utah sun.

I was really hoping to find something like a trasharoo that would also cover the tire. I did find a kangaroo Joey thing online but no matter where I looked they were out of stock. This was the only 35" spare tire cover that looked like it wouldn't rip the first time I backed up into a juniper or pinion tree so I decided to give it a go.

I ordered it from retrofit offroad and I am super impressed with the quality. It is extremely well made.

Now I just got to figure out what kind of tacti-cool gear to attach to it.......:rofl: in all honesty I doubt I will attach anything to it because I am not that cool.

35" INCH MOLLE TACTICAL SPARE TIRE COVER | Retrofit Offroad - https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/shop/jk-jeep-wrangler-2007-2015/35-inch-tactical-spare-tire-cover/
That’s pretty cool looking. What material is it? I have a somewhat newly acquired industrial sewing machine and may make one of those for my rig.

You can get these for less than a dollar -
With shipping comes to $4.44 for the cheapest shipping option and a month and a half wait. $1.55 more to have it to me in two days from Amazon, I'm good with that. Still, nice to know there's multiple options. You never know when one of those options will become unavailable and you'll need to fall back on another. Thanks for sharing.

That’s pretty cool looking. What material is it? I have a somewhat newly acquired industrial sewing machine and may make one of those for my rig.
Never mind. I didn’t read the link closely enough. 1000d milspec denier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom