What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (53 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your stock fan will eventually flex and possibly take out your radiator. Better to use the TRD SC ringed fan until you can find the 4.slow fan that some have used in hot areas.

Appreciate the response thank you. I will look into that my understanding was the supercharger fan was a piece of crap but probably worth looking into another fan I have ended up having a fan go into the radiator due to a seized non oem fan clutch that came on it when I bought the truck and definitely don’t want to go through that brain damage again. Thank you!

Appreciate it thank you! It was a ton of work but in my mind cheaper then a car payment haha. And I was able to pull all of this off for under $800 start to finish out of my pocket for everything I got really lucky with how I got this all setup. For the insulation it took me a probably 8 hours start to finish on it. It wasn’t to bad and a impact makes it super easy pulling all the big stuff out. I also had some extra red clips laying around from pulling the tailgate carpet off which was good because I ended up breaking a few more then I would have liked to. Really recommend it it ended up being around $120 for the insulation I got 64 feet of the 80mm stuff and that did the doors and the floors. Thanks!

Tried shooting you a PM to keep the thread somewhat clean but your inbox is full.

Any helpful threads you might forward me? Also, where did you source the actual mat? Any special tools needed, etc?

I was supposed to spend the week moving to Farmington New Mexico to spend my last semester doing full time clinical rotations..... Well I found out last Monday, hours before I was going to leave for NM, that my clinical rotations in the hospital at Shiprock New Mexico were canceled. I am glad I procrastinated and didn't leave two weeks early like I had planned.....

I was excited to do my clinicals on the Navajo reservation and see a new part of the country but instead I got re-assigned to the local hospital in my town. So instead of spending the weekend exploring New Mexico in the 80 all I did was unpack, clean it a little, and started prototyping for an idea that I have had floating in my head for awhile......

It's amazing how much of a difference cleaning the glass on these rigs can make.

1610235414178320271257317900244.jpg

20210109_143505.jpg
20210109_141411.jpg

It's not much yet but it it's a start.

Any guesses what it is going to be?

Now that I don't have to move I can hopefully finish this project soon.

Tried shooting you a PM to keep the thread somewhat clean but your inbox is full.

Any helpful threads you might forward me? Also, where did you source the actual mat? Any special tools needed, etc?

Sorry I need to figure out how to clear my inbox I can’t figure out how I need to look harder sorry about that. I got the 80mil Kilomat off Amazon they come in 36ft containers and two of them did the doors and floor. Besides that not really just get a roller to roll down the mat so it adheres good and a sharpie and scissors to cut it to size in some places. Maybe source some spare red clips that the doors and side panels use because you will break a few

Bolt on alternator tensioner sheared on the way to work. This of course resulted in the fan/water pump and alternator not spinning. Truck got a little hot before I noticed and popped the top tank on a newish radiator. So far I've pulled the alternator, extracted and replaced the bolt and pulled the radiator. New, new radiator should be here tomorrow...

Update: Radiator replaced (again) and it's all back together running and driving without issue. Was afraid it popped the head gasket too, but all is well.

PXL_20210109_191738404.jpg

PXL_20210109_191146158.jpg

IMG_20210108_113418.jpg

IMG_20210107_163416_01.jpg

Last edited:
Bolt on alternator tensioner sheared on the way to work. This of course resulted in the fan/water pump and alternator not spinning. Truck get a little hot before I noticed and popped the top tank on the new radiator. So far I've pulled the alternator, extracted and replaced the bolt and pulled the radiator. New, new radiator should be here tomorrow...

View attachment 2548792

View attachment 2548794

View attachment 2548795

View attachment 2548796
That's a really strange failure..... any idea why it sheared. Over torqued? I would be worried that a bearing related to the belt seized or something happened to put extra stress on the bolt.

Maybe you just love working on and maintaining your rig and re-tension your belts once a month and that wore out the bolt....

Maybe source some spare red clips that the doors and side panels use because you will break a few
I think these might be what you are talking about. I found and ordered these based on a youtube vid a few weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to try them out due to lack of time to work on that particular project, but they are supposed to work even though they aren't red.

Amazon product ASIN B0040CTTH4

2E11ADEF-C42D-42B2-A3AE-9E45A3D1D868.jpeg

began the process of re-working all the doors. This included lithium grease on all the hinges as well as the door locking mechanism and hitting the door card plug holes with rust oleum undercoating. Recaroeted the bottoms of the doors to ultimately match the next carpet (I’ll work in the future).

1. Disassemble the front lights, grille and bumper.
2. Blacked out all the chrome.
3. Took the winch apart, changed the grease in the gear.
4. Sprayed the entire bumper with matching body color.
5. Installed an aluminum fairlead instead of the rollers.
6. Installed a new synthetic line.

0.jpeg
1.jpeg

1.5.jpeg
2.jpeg

3.jpeg

That's a really strange failure..... any idea why it sheared. Over torqued? I would be worried that a bearing related to the belt seized or something happened to put extra stress on the bolt.

Maybe you just love working on and maintaining your rig and re-tension your belts once a month and that wore out the bolt....
I have no idea. It's certainly a first for me as well. What's stranger is that I haven't touched it in a year I have no idea. It's certainly a first for me as well. What's stranger is that I haven't touched it in a year+ since replacing the alternator. And I'm fairly certain I didn't over torque it as I likely just snugged it with a small socket wrench. A real head scratcher. I think it may have been all those glorious 1fz horsepowers I was unleashing.

I'm just praying to the cruiser gods that I didn't damage the engine.

Last edited:
A real head scratcher. I'm just praying to the cruiser gods that I didn't damage the engine.
I'm sure she will be fine once you get her buttoned back up.

View attachment 2549137
began the process of re-working all the doors. This included lithium grease on all the hinges as well as the door locking mechanism and hitting the door card plug holes with rust oleum undercoating. Recaroeted the bottoms of the doors to ultimately match the next carpet (I’ll work in the future).
I wish my doors looked that nice!
Nicely done. How is your license plate mounted? I like it more than the way mine sits with the ARB bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom