What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I colluded with some Russians! ;)
I've been watching for an OEM rear wind deflector (spoiler type with rotating vents) but they've been difficult to find in decent shape. The good ones are also very expensive. Anyway. I ordered one on eBay and it ended up shipping from Russia. I'd ordered it a while ago and actually forgot I ordered it until it showed up a couple days ago.
Overall, it's not bad but definitely not OEM quality. I didn't feel too bad about trying it out though so I'll see how it holds up.
Wind deflector by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I colluded with some Russians! ;)
I've been watching for an OEM rear wind deflector (spoiler type with rotating vents) but they've been difficult to find in decent shape. The good ones are also very expensive. Anyway. I ordered one on eBay and it ended up shipping from Russia. I'd ordered it a while ago and actually forgot I ordered it until it showed up a couple days ago.
Overall, it's not bad but definitely not OEM quality. I didn't feel too bad about trying it out though so I'll see how it holds up.

It looks great

Was going to get down with a fluid film session, but instead spent a while cleaning up the half gallon that was everywhere but in the can, and then took the dogs for a walk. Wouldn’t normally order online, but can’t get it locally. In the end, got refunded and still have the other half 🤷‍♂️ had a laugh about it

77D018E1-C965-4270-8428-6999ED0701F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Last weekend:

667C6307-985F-47AD-892B-18DA02A6393F.jpeg

White Knuckle Sliders installed. 69” higher angle / DOM tubing. Very happy with my purchase, and even unknowingly drove 2 hours to will call, to find they are closed. Dude outside was nice enough to let me in and grab my sliders for me, ambient temp was 108 degrees.

This weekend relocating my M8000 solenoid to inside the engine bay, doing drive belts/valve cover gasket/plugs and ordering up my power steering lines.

Debating Line-Xing my rockers since the hope of me re-adding flares is probably zero

I never made a build thread but also might do that so I can actually keep track of my garbage.

Oh and discovered a wing of my arb is sleightly bent in. Hooray! I think it came that away but I was too stupid to pay attention.

This is why you order Toyota OEM. SO nice and already routed in order. A no brainer project.

DF78AD4F-3D9D-4141-A64A-664C46C82B87.jpeg

Started the replacement of the steering gear, PS pump, hoses, and paper clip. Got everything out, PS pump gear swapped, and was just about to install the steering gear when we pulled the "refurbished" sticker off and an entire section of the paint peeled off. Ended up taking a wire brush and wire wheel to it and removed all the garbage paint that was on it. It looks like they sprayed it while it was coated with something. Anyway, cleaned up the frame and ajoining areas. I was happy to see there was zero in the way of rust anywhere. Good ole self-protecting oil leaks LOL! Heading out to Seattle tomorrow so I'll have to finish this up when I come back. At least everything is apart and cleaned ready to install. Planning to change the fuel filter "since I'm in there"......

IMG_0381.jpg

I would like to have a word in a dark alley with the engineer who decided that that was the place to put the fuel filter on the 1FZ. I'm pretty sure I'd do okay because he (assuming gender) is almost certainly not 6'2" with tomahawk steaks for hands. That was a multi-hour ordeal that I will pay someone else to do in the future.

[edit] I had no choice the day after changing the fuel filter but to drive 2.5 hours with a P0330. A miserable experience. So now I have to go back and remove the intake to get to the knock sensor, which in hindsight I should have done for the fuel filter.

Last edited:
Big day today! Cummins build 2.0 has begun.

I have been waiting all summer for the weather to get out of the 100’s so this job wouldn’t be a miserable affair. Forecast for today was a high of 85...perfect.

@bryson came over at 11am to start turning some wrench with me. Goal was to get as far as possible today, we ended up getting more done than I thought we would.

Pulled the front bumper, winch, lights, grill, core support, condenser, radiator, intercooler and lower valance.

Got and the plumbing and electrical disconnected, shifters removed, driveshafts off, hood off, 2 crossmembers pulled, motor mounts out of the way and slid the big Cummins donk, trans and xfer case out of the engine bay as one unit. Always a bit sketchy lifting that much weight 7 feet in the air.

We separated the trans from the engine and got the motor mounted onto my purpose built engine stand ready for surgery.

We then cleaned up all the tools and figured well it’s still daylight, so also pulled the rear Slee bumper off. She is almost ready for the next phase of build 2.0.

It is soo much nicer working on cruisers with a friend than by yourself, it’s fun, keeps the motivation going, and you make so much more progress in a short period of time. Thanks again for spending the day getting greasy @bryson!

View attachment 2423794View attachment 2423795View attachment 2423796View attachment 2423797View attachment 2423798
Please document and film as much as you can if possible.

Well after a fun few weeks, finally back on the road. It all started with replacing the fan shroud since my old 1 was cracked in the center and both the mounting holes at the top were broken. Seeing all the room I had, figured I'd go all the way down the rabbit hole and replace the oil pump seal and crank seal. My harmonic balancer was a nightmare to get off, took 3+ hours. Then went to the oil cover, 2 of the screws were already stripped and I stripped another 1. Overall not bad. Got a right angle drill and got the heads to pop off easily. Tried to get out the remainder of the threads by hands, pliers, no dice. Some heat/drill/extracting much later, finally all of them came out. Found some red stuff on the threads which i suspect someone put red thread locker on :bang:. My seal was stuck to the cover and quite brittle. My hats off to all you folks that have had a casual few hours at this job, what a delightful afternoon that sounds like. Took the opportunity to cleanup some of the front and actually be able to see the timing marks.
Replaced the screws the right way, got things buttoned back up, new pulleys as well and new belts cause I'm sure they were long past due.
20200829_152310.jpg

20200904_160540.jpg

are those the black rhino wheels? dose the hub fit with out a spacer or boring it out?

Winner chicken dinner. They come with hub rings Aka hub centric as the center bore is 112mm (106mm).

I personally never buy wheels that require spacers/adapters or any modifications to make fit for my liking. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Well after a fun few weeks, finally back on the road. It all started with replacing the fan shroud since my old 1 was cracked in the center and both the mounting holes at the top were broken. Seeing all the room I had, figured I'd go all the way down the rabbit hole and replace the oil pump seal and crank seal. My harmonic balancer was a nightmare to get off, took 3+ hours. Then went to the oil cover, 2 of the screws were already stripped and I stripped another 1. Overall not bad. Got a right angle drill and got the heads to pop off easily. Tried to get out the remainder of the threads by hands, pliers, no dice. Some heat/drill/extracting much later, finally all of them came out. Found some red stuff on the threads which i suspect someone put red thread locker on :bang:. My seal was stuck to the cover and quite brittle. My hats off to all you folks that have had a casual few hours at this job, what a delightful afternoon that sounds like. Took the opportunity to cleanup some of the front and actually be able to see the timing marks.
Replaced the screws the right way, got things buttoned back up, new pulleys as well and new belts cause I'm sure they were long past due.
View attachment 2426976

View attachment 2426977
Now do the PHH just because. Lol. Good job though.

Finally deleted the third row seatbelts. The passenger side bracket bolt was rusted so I had to cut it off, but other than that it was an easy process. I’m much happier now without those things in the way.

I also kept the belt assemblies so if anyone wants to buy them, let me know.
1599344192991.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom