What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (58 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lol, that sucks but it is kind of funny. Sounds like something that would happen to me. You were just rebuilding the power steering pump right? Did you do anything else to the steering, ie the gear box, steering shaft, or steering linkages? Hopefully we can get it figured out.
Well, what started out as a power steering rebuild turned into gear box rebuild as well due to the excessive leaking. I thought things went well while putting everything back but as I tried to bleed the system, I noticed the steering wheel just kept turning with no end. It's weird to turn the steering wheel and see no movement on the front wheels.

Finnaly found a RTT worth keeping and its an ALU CAB exped 3 with a merlin 140watt solar panel on top. both work perfectly.
DSCN0586.JPG
DSCN0584.JPG
DSCN0583.JPG
DSCN0578.JPG
DSCN0540.JPG

Headed North yo the sand hills. Then headed west on a bunch of trails to get to the north platte river. Finally drove 29 mile trail and found the river. No crossing!!! Drove back 29 miles and camped.

669CDD89-C005-41A0-B87F-949D15869B49.jpeg

999BB096-3582-4C3C-83E1-B48944FF100F.jpeg

27ADB347-E61E-4654-9344-C5C6E2F82C2B.jpeg

27BB835F-9979-446C-A57B-0A5BFB33C305.jpeg

Picked up my bike after getting it tuned up. Went to try it out and after the first leg came back to the 80 and had to admire how pretty it is. :p 2nd leg of the ride ended up portaging and up to my knees in muck! Lots of dead turtles from the flooding here. This is the Minnesota River south of Minneapolis.
Did I mention how I love my 80? o_O:cheers::kiss:

IMG_20190617_182928.jpg

IMG_20190617_201232.jpg

IMG_20190617_182948.jpg

IMG_20190617_201055.jpg

Epic trip through the Chattahoochee National Forest this weekend! complete with camping, rocks, burnt marshmallows, mud, campfire coffee, and an almost overturned rig.

I really learned a valuable lesson this weekend: Don't take these trails lightly. Even though these rigs are extremely capable, things can go from fun to serious in a split second. I got cocky and didn't think I needed to wait for my spotter. I got 2 inches too far to the passenger side as i was straddling this rut and before I knew it, I was touchin' cotton. Thankfully I didn't go alone, and my two buddies kept their composure, which helped me not to over react. Careful strategy, taking our time, talking it through, and we successfully brought her back to level and finished the day with only minor fender flare modification.

Lesson #2: My first instinct was to put my hand out the window, like I was actually going to stop a rollover. Thankfully, my teammate kept a level head and kept reminding me to keep my hands in the rig.

Lesson of the day: Respect the trail

80 in a hole 1.jpg

80 in a hole 2.jpg

Dove in to my front diff swap today. Had the old diff out in an hour. I guess I'm practiced up :flipoff2:. Both the knuckles and bearings still looked good with plenty of grease. The fluid on the other hand was all burnt and had a bunch of metal on the magnet. This diff is done but will make a good core when I regear and add a locker. Will wait till tomorrow to refill so the silicone can set up well.

Right outer tie rod end had some play. Decided to replace both since those are the only ones that effect alignment (plus the others feel fine). Local supplier had one 555 in stock, the other will be here tomorrow. Then it can go to alignment. Soaking in PB Blaster for the night.

Rotated and balanced tires since they have something like 7K on them. One of the fronts took 2 oz of weight. I guess that was my slight vibe every now and then.

Changed T-case and rear diff fluid. T-case looked OK, rear was pretty dirty but minimal stuff on the magnet. Mobil 1 was on sale so I'm running that.

Had an intermittent exhaust squeak. Found the inlet on the muffler had a crack around the pipe. Welded that up for now till I'm ready (or forced haha) to do exhaust.

Removed my spare tire from the bottom for wheeling this weekend. Will throw it in the back for now.

Mounting up my pintle hook on the factory location. Just drilling out the threaded holes so I can run some regular bolts rather than the odd thread those are.

Will run new diff vent lines tomorrow.

If everything goes well I'll drive it home tomorrow night and make sure everything feels ok then hit the road for PA Thursday after dinner!

Epic trip through the Chattahoochee National Forest this weekend! complete with camping, rocks, burnt marshmallows, mud, campfire coffee, and an almost overturned rig.

I really learned a valuable lesson this weekend: Don't take these trails lightly. Even though these rigs are extremely capable, things can go from fun to serious in a split second. I got cocky and didn't think I needed to wait for my spotter. I got 2 inches too far to the passenger side as i was straddling this rut and before I knew it, I was touchin' cotton. Thankfully I didn't go alone, and my two buddies kept their composure, which helped me not to over react. Careful strategy, taking our time, talking it through, and we successfully brought her back to level and finished the day with only minor fender flare modification.

Lesson #2: My first instinct was to put my hand out the window, like I was actually going to stop a rollover. Thankfully, my teammate kept a level head and kept reminding me to keep my hands in the rig.

Lesson of the day: Respect the trail

View attachment 2006456

View attachment 2006457
Ain’t never been that close to the ground without laying on it!!!!!!!!

We lost the a/c back in 2002 or so, but got it back today for a very reasonable price. We are heading out this weekend as a result!

7CA308D9-2787-4DD4-A609-7792FF6BA40E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom