What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (100 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious as to what’s going on with your front arms. They appear to be different length or at least different colors.

I am betting they are the Superflex radius arms. I think @RFB runs them too.

Over the past several weeks I've done a few things:

Installed a dash cam
IMG_20190130_071541.jpg

Attic rack, hose clamp style
IMG_20190130_071658.jpg

And solar
IMG_20190131_083040.jpg

I got my cubby insert printed and installed. Finally working like a charm. Printed out of Ninjatek Armadillo, we’ll see how it holds up when the summer heat rolls around
0DCD7D4A-FF0A-4972-B6B7-DE1C997C4225.jpeg
FBDF1DE5-0F30-4E14-ABBC-9CA6CF6C5099.jpeg
988189C6-74C9-482D-B711-B9271EB8CA37.jpeg
B5723AF8-8062-4964-B396-0BB0C98021FF.jpeg

Took her for a little drive rather than doing the things I should be doing such as PHH, wits end blue fan clutch etc...
20190202_142237.jpg

20190202_142412.jpg

What solar panel and mounting system is that?

I got the panel for free, it's a 120 watt First Solar panel. The mounts are some cheap clamps meant for semi-flexible panels off eBay.

Reactions: RFB
Last edited:
I got the panel for free, it's a 120 watt First Solar panel. The mounts are some cheap clamps meant for semi-flexible panels off eBay.
Ohhhhhhhh My I dig that panel. is it glass? it looks thin found them online but not a ton of info. is it delicate??? I have zamp, renergy and AIMS poweer panels, had a humless panle gave it @Irish Reiver tho. I want high output and strong.

Curious as to what’s going on with your front arms. They appear to be different length or at least different colors.
THOSE ARE SUPER FLEX ARMS FORM SUPERIOR ENGINEERING. (he yelled in all caps)

Installed @dogfishlake bowincruisers rack, very nice design and quality, can't wait to install the next goodie package from MI Removed the running boards and that was all before it got dark and I got hungry. Plan for the weekend is winch and sliders.

View attachment 1894514

View attachment 1894522

View attachment 1894523

View attachment 1894524
Hey Buck quick question whats the overall measurement on the hold down clamps on the roof roack, ya know the little hod clamps.

Ohhhhhhhh My I dig that panel. is it glass? it looks thin found them online but not a ton of info. is it delicate???

Free is good :) but a couple of things to note about frameless panels.

Frameless panels are beneficial in that the weight/thickness of the aluminum frame is removed but that weight savings is often offset by the need for thicker, or sometimes two sheets, of glass to give the panel the structural strength that the aluminum frame would have provided. They are also prone to breakage if something nicks the edge of the glass. Additionally, if I were putting them on my truck I would have a clamps on all four sides (can't see from the picture) as there is only pressure holding the panel down. In a worst case scenario, with no clamps on the front, in a wreck the panel will slide right out of the clamps and become a missile.

Frameless panels have their niche in the architectural world where they can be blended in to the design of a building better without having lots of little silver frames visible.

From a power standpoint, 120 Watts is 120 Watts, regardless of what panel is producing it. The panel pictured is amorphous silicon (meaning there are no individual solar cells, the silicon is sprayed on the glass so the panel is effectively one big cell) which, while not as efficient as crystalline solar (panels where you see individual solar cells), amorphous does have the advantage of being able to still produce power in low light conditions like closer to dawn or dusk.

To sum it all up. Free is good :) and just make sure the panel is clamped on all four sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom