What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (61 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had the loose mirror issue which started a couple weeks ago. Finally got around to pulling it off for the fix. Quick research led me to the @Tools R Us solution found here.

While not everyone pulls the mirror totally off, I chose to do so. This method involves grinding new slots for the retainer clip 90° from the old, broken ones.

I first tried to use a valve spring compressor, which was strong enough, but too bulky for the job. Instead, I whipped out the grinder and made a little tool to use with the C-clamp. It worked like a charm.

It may be necessary to back-off the parking brake shoes prior to removing the rotor.

Good point, except his brake shoes weren't even held in place any more, just rattling around inside the drum.

The sad/funny part is that whenever I see a Range Rover it has what basically amounts to summer street tires on low profile wheels. Perfect for grocery getting in warm climates, less perfect for pretty much any off road situation unless the gravel driveway to the winery counts as "off road".
Hahahahaha Dude you nailed it!

Dang! How far did you move the axle forward?
I moved it 1.25". It centers the axle in the wheel well better (with the stock radius arms) and definitely improved tire/firewall clearance. But when the front suspension compresses, the arc of the axle moves the tire forward so it's making some contact up front. I'm sure I cut more than I probably needed to, but not of what I cut is really visible or important.

This is how it was stuffing after moving the axle and before cutting. Not terrible but was definitely making contact with the bumper and front of the inner fender, especially with the wheels turned.
Bumpstops by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Getting my Timbren bumpstops installed. Still need to modify the brackets for the rears, but I got the fronts installed. The cups needed to be trimmed a bit so they don't hit the Slinky springs. Compressed, these will be roughly equivalent of the 1" taller solid rubber ones I had on the frame.
Suspension by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I moved it 1.25". It centers the axle in the wheel well better (with the stock radius arms) and definitely improved tire/firewall clearance. But when the front suspension compresses, the arc of the axle moves the tire forward so it's making some contact up front. I'm sure I cut more than I probably needed to, but not of what I cut is really visible or important.

This is how it was stuffing after moving the axle and before cutting. Not terrible but was definitely making contact with the bumper and front of the inner fender, especially with the wheels turned.

Forward 1.25” seems like a lot for a 3” lift. The package looks nice though.

It's not for caster correction. Just for making more room for large tires at the firewall.
Exactly...... +3” requires approx 0.25”forward. You have definitely improved approach angle though. I understand you are making 37’s fit. I trimmed a little bit off the lower rear portion all fenders and pushed the front inner fender back to meet it. This worked well with stock arms and now with the Delta 6” arms installed and being 0.5” longer, putting the axle in the correct location, there’s even more room behind the tire. Looking forward to seeing how this all works out for you because I know those Toyo’s are a wide tire.

Last edited:
Exactly...... +3” requires approx 0.25”forward. You have definitely improved approach angle though. I understand you are making 37’s fit. I trimmed a little bit off the lower rear portion all fenders and pushed the front inner fender back to meet it. This worked well with stock arms and now with the Delta 6” arms installed and being 0.5” longer, putting the axle in the correct location, there’s even more room behind the tire. Looking forward to seeing how this all works out for you because I know those Toyo’s are a wide tire.
Right. Definitely moves the axle farther forward than stock location but makes huge difference in making room for tires at the back of the fender/firewall.
This isn't fully stuffed but you can get an idea of the clearance gained at the back of the fender.

While I'm sure that looks and sounds great, I would be concerned with exhaust getting in the cabin, particularly when idling or slow moving such as on trails because it does not protrude beyond the body.

Took my stock 1995 FZJ80 and my buddy Chris on the Pacific Mountain Cruisers annual snow run. Turnout was down this year but we still had a great time. Chris got to use his chainsaw and I got to lead until we were in waist deep snow and had to help each other to get un-stuck. A great day out with a great group of people!

While I'm sure that looks and sounds great, I would be concerned with exhaust getting in the cabin, particularly when idling or slow moving such as on trails because it does not protrude beyond the body.
Thought about it. We tried to keep the exhaust as high as possible because of ground clearance. Limitating factor is the body mount. I can not remove it, it is the last one on the cutted body, followed by the camper box. Shown a few pages before.
The last ellbow is blowing to the ground, a little bit back and to the right. We will find out. Eventually i will close the window on the passenger side while idling.

Last edited:
Took it to North Carolina for some Snowboarding, sight seeing, and wheeling! great time, even with Jeep friends :p

This trip helped ,e realize i need to do my brakes soon. They squealed the whole way down this little hill. the video is at the very end of the Blog post.

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-19 at 5.55.39 PM (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-19 at 5.55.39 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-19 at 5.55.40 PM.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom