What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Boring stuff lately - engine oil + filter change (Penrite 20/60 with 2L of Moreys Oil Stabiliser), and an engine de-grease, followed by WD40 to make it shine again...
Also filled the gutters and window surround with CRC Soft Seal to see if I could temporarily cure / isolate a water leak into the cab when it rains. The windscreen badly needs to be replaced, but I am concerned about what I will find, and the amount of new steel I will be welding in... will need to to do it soon though (already have a couple of rust holes sealed with duct tape below the lower corners of the windshield after I started picking at the visible rust with a screwdriver....)
Considered tweaking the boost from 10psi to 12psi, but will leave it for another weekend....

I fixed my horn! Two stupid issues— the wire that runs to the brass ring had popped off, and I needed to put washers underneath the brass ring to get it to touch again. I also gave the inside of the steering column a good clean, making sure all the other electrical contact points were in good shape.

Painted and bolted a new rear bumper, benefiting from a metal shop class project. It's a hefty one, weighing in at 92 lbs. 3" square tube.

bumper0001.JPG
fj62's0001.JPG

Took out my Valley Hybrids 2° caster correction shims, retorqued my wheel bearings and rotated my tires, along with checking every nut and bolt in my front end, front and rear driveshafts and my rear brakes to try and find/solve my highway death wobble. I seem to have gotten it (giving a tentative result at this point), and I think increasing my caster was a big contributor. I think Toyota designed these with the caster set as low as it is for a reason, and putting the shims on an otherwise stock suspension (I have add-a-leafs that lift it about 1.5" or so) may have been causing trouble.

Took the 60 out to do some house hunting on the north shore this weekend. May have found a winner.
IMG_5748.JPG

Thinking of making this my new back yard.
IMG_5750.JPG

With the new AC working great (finally!), the 60 is super comfortable to get out and about around the island.
IMG_5723.JPG

IMG_5726.JPG

IMG_5736.JPG

Took out my Valley Hybrids 2° caster correction shims, retorqued my wheel bearings and rotated my tires, along with checking every nut and bolt in my front end, front and rear driveshafts and my rear brakes to try and find/solve my highway death wobble. I seem to have gotten it (giving a tentative result at this point), and I think increasing my caster was a big contributor. I think Toyota designed these with the caster set as low as it is for a reason, and putting the shims on an otherwise stock suspension (I have add-a-leafs that lift it about 1.5" or so) may have been causing trouble.

Valley hybrids castor correction rescued my new 60 from truly awful road wander and steering, made it feel much tighter and responsive. Though mine has probably a 3 to 4 inch lift with Alcan springs on it. I am no expert but I would think that
Toyota designed these with the caster set as low as it is for a reason
is a reasonable assertion but they probably didn't factor in a lift of any kind. If I remember correctly though I think @orangefj45 told me a lift above 2 inches is where you want to start thinking about castor correction

Last edited:
IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
Painted the dash, center bezel and glovebox door. For those interested it's a pretty good color match to OEM. A bit shinier than I wanted, but it should be fine. Still trying to get the dam hvac controls in so I can bolt it up.

Valley hybrids castor correction rescued my new 60 from truly awful road wander and steering, made it feel much tighter and reponsive. Though mine has probably a 3 to 4 inch lift with Alcan springs on it. I am no expert but I would think that
is a reasonable assertion but they probably didn't factor in a lift of any kind. If I remember correctly though I think @orangefj45 told me a lift above 2 inches is where you want to start thinking about castor correction
Yeah that's the thing is I have about 1.5" or so of lift, not even at the 2" mark. I'm saving the shims in case I go over 2" at some point, but for now I'm running it without the shims.

Took her to the burger joint down the road with my daughter to get a couple burgers and a shake yesterday. She was sitting on four wheels this morning. Figured I'd drop the housing, strip it down and paint it to get it looking pretty again since I'm doing a front end rebuild.

IMG_4430.JPG

Took her to the burger joint down the road with my daughter to get a couple burgers and a shake yesterday. She was sitting on four wheels this morning. Figured I'd drop the housing, strip it down and paint it to get it looking pretty again since I'm doing a front end rebuild.
I'm doing the same on my '89 FJ62 rear axle before it goes onto my '86 FJ60 project vehicle. My '86 is also on two wheels, but on the front axle. BTW, I like your jack stands. I'm using concrete blocks and landscaping bricks to hold the rear end up.

View attachment 1469290
Love the wood stands.

Valley hybrids castor correction rescued my new 60 from truly awful road wander and steering, made it feel much tighter and responsive. Though mine has probably a 3 to 4 inch lift with Alcan springs on it. I am no expert but I would think that
What degree shims did you use? I replaced the very old and sagging suspension on mine last summer with an OME Light front and Medium rear, and I have that same loud vibration between 35-45mph and quite a bit of looseness and wandering at any speed. Also added 33" tires; I'm guessing between the new suspension and the tires that I gained 3-4" of height.
@orangefj45, what do you think?

A digital angle finder is your best friend when determining the proper caster correction shims.
;)
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers
Sorry; saw this AFTER posting my last post. I will try to source a digital angle finder. I remember reading all of your posts on someone's swap thread about doing the math to determine best angles and corrections. Still interested in what your first guess would be before I actually do some math.

As for what I actually did with my 62 this weekend, we took it down to Sherando Lake in the Washington and Jefferson National Forest. I can't recommend this place enough; the lake is perfect for kayaking, paddleboarding, splashing, and fishing with the family, there are solid hiking trails in the park, and many more within a short drive. I didn't get as many pics of the park as I should've, but here's a pic of our site and my youngest at Overlook Rock:

IMG_7477.jpg
IMG_7471.jpg

What degree shims did you use? I replaced the very old and sagging suspension on mine last summer with an OME Light front and Medium rear, and I have that same loud vibration between 35-45mph and quite a bit of looseness and wandering at any speed. Also added 33" tires; I'm guessing between the new suspension and the tires that I gained 3-4" of height.
@orangefj45, what do you think?
Per my receipt they were 2 degree shims, I also have 33" tires on. When @orangefj45 measured the angles prior to the fix they were about 0 Degrees. They also tightened up some wheel bearings if I recall correctly. Night and day difference for me. Steering box still has a little play but the 60 tracks straight now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom