What did you do to your pig today? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TJ - thanks for the links and sub links! I had found a speedo link with pictures maybe two years ago and bookmarked it, but clearly there are more insights. I have found the search capabilities of MUD lacking…or maybe it is me that is lacking! I find more on MUD using google.

When I first finished the restomod of my 1969, one thing that did not work was the odometer. The 1/10ths moved but that was it. The speedometer part worked great. I have the older screw in connection (see pic) and since I put in a 2F, H55F, and split transfer case, I had a cable shop make up a custom speedo cable with both correct ends. Next step was to get a mechanical converter to register the correct speed since I have 33” tires. Anyway, I bought a second gauge cluster thinking I would open that one up and play with the odometer mechanism to learn on. Well that gauge using the drill test worked for both speed and odometer. Two problems: 1) it was crusty faded 2) it had the newer style connector for the speedo cable so would work with my cable.

So I put it on the shelf for another day. Now that my original gauge is acting up, I pulled it off the shelf again to see what options I have. Cleanup the crusty working gauge and get a new speedo cable OR tear apart the original gauge and see if I can get both the odometer to work plus fix the weird speedometer noise and fluctuation where the needle bounces to 75 periodically.

I am also thinking about putting together pictures and a master thread for gauges sort of like the bottle jack one on MUD.

View attachment 3213660
Yes, please put together a thread about the gauges!!!

Took a little drive..
0B39CF99-AD81-4A73-B3A2-0801F3BB93FB.jpeg

Cleaned up and did a quick mini restore of the gauge cluster for my 1969. Opened both gauges up, cleaned glass, cleaned all surfaces, painted needles with Testors fluorescent orange, cleaned up some of the wiring, and put in LED bulbs. Might be able to see the gauges at night now! I didn’t do a full clean of the non-working odometer. Instead I swapped out just that gauge with a later model working one, but now I have to replaced the speedo cable (bought one from Cruiser Outfitters) since the original connection was screw in and the “new” one is clip in.

ED39F975-DA8D-43E7-8C7B-6B40456728D4.jpeg

Cleaned up and did a quick mini restore of the gauge cluster for my 1969. Opened both gauges up, cleaned glass, cleaned all surfaces, painted needles with Testors fluorescent orange, cleaned up some of the wiring, and put in LED bulbs. Might be able to see the gauges at night now! I didn’t do a full clean of the non-working odometer. Instead I swapped out just that gauge with a later model working one, but now I have to replaced the speedo cable (bought one from Cruiser Outfitters) since the original connection was screw in and the “new” one is clip in.

View attachment 3219501
Nice work. The odometer isn't that difficult to take apart and clean. It's just a lot of little parts. I did the one on my FZJ75 and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.

Very nice work! We'd like to know your method of gluing back the vinyl around the gauges, one area that always curls.
That is a reproduction SOR pad made from a more robust material that won’t curl. My original was in the shape of a banana and was not fixable. Really good match and well done by SOR.

The pig finally became an indoor pet last weekend. Shifted the garage around, put a few things into bins above and tossed a lot of worthless crap! Now she lives happily next to my vending machine junk food back stock. No more covers on and off and stressing about .1" of rain or snow ; )
Pig garage.jpg
rain or snow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom