What did you do on your 70 series today? (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We had a public holiday in Germany on Thursday. I made an extended weekend from it and took the Cruiser for some fun.
Had a nice camp spot next to a pond and a retired tram.
20230517_211606.jpg

Got the Cruiser dirty... Great offroading at Böser Wolf offroadpark. (It will take a few more flushes to get the mud cleaned out 😁).
20230518_124838.jpg

Then visited a few places I'm interested in:
Old buildings and old mines.
20230521_104917.jpg

This monastery was founded 1591.
I visited two closed mines.
This one was a lead and zinc mine. It was started around the 14. Century and closed 1974. A very small part is now a museum (2%). 90% are flooded. This was a rare chance to get into some of the abandoned and usually sealed areas.

Cheers Ralf

20230521_151436.jpg

We had a public holiday in Germany on Thursday. I made an extended weekend from it and took the Cruiser for some fun.
View attachment 3329431
Got the Cruiser dirty... Great offroading at Böser Wolf offroadpark. (It will take a few more flushes to get the mud cleaned out 😁).
View attachment 3329430
View attachment 3329426
This one was a lead and zinc mine. It was started around the 14. Century and closed 1974. A very small part is now a museum (2%). 90% are flooded. This was a rare chance to get into some of the abandoned and usually sealed areas.

Cheers Ralf

View attachment 3329455
there are a bunch of mines like that here in BC that are accessable that id like to visit too,
👍

Well, decided to remove all doubt and spend more money cuz murphy struck on the knuckle shims and pre-tension was too low.....

SST ordered from trail tailor

Layout die for the SST ordered from the "G" vendor cuz nobody locally has any...$11 shipping for $12 spray can....

Replacement electric hub T20 nuts ordered along with replacement inner oil seal etc

Local dealership will have the precious overpriced Castle Body Grease" (08887-02007) tomorrow.....$70 for 7/10ths of a pound.....it as that or get it for $51 plus shipping.....its basically a wash either way.

Suggestion to anyone else who is servicing electric hubs....order replacement torx screws in advance....they're like $2 each.....3 per side. in my case they were p/n 90149-50055

Moral of the story....measure twice, cut once......I should have spent the coin on the SST right off the bat.....good news is that the second side should go faster.....and anyone doing a front axle for the first time might choose to do the right side first because it has the shorter inner axle attatched to the birf and is slightly easier to deal with.

OTRAMM has a great step by step on using the SST

Edit: Dont forget a set of calipers that can handle measurement greater than 6".....most sets handle UP TO 6 but you're going to have to be able to measure between 6-7" when using the SST.....

Surprisingly my local parts shops have nada.....

Found a couple options....you're gonna get made in china unless you spend a lot of money it seems

Grainger had a set I was least unconfortable with purchasing.....especially compared to the $50 harbor freight option.

It is probably too late, but there is an equivalent grease to the $$$ Castle Body Grease that Toyota sells, it is called Molykote 44 Light and is much less expensive.

It is probably too late, but there is an equivalent grease to the $$$ Castle Body Grease that Toyota sells, it is called Molykote 44 Light and is much less expensive.

I looked at the molycote 44 option and it was actually more expensive than the toyota grease, it looks like it was cheaper a couple years back but post covid has jumped in price

At the end of the day ordering from my local dealer for $70 was less expensive than ordering online and paying for shipping on top of that.

View attachment 3329431
View attachment 3329430
View attachment 3329426

Cheers Ralf

View attachment 3329455
This is really kewl Ralf, thanks for sharing. This is right up my alley! I love investigating all the remote mines in my area (there are literally 100's!!) for the history. Now, I am talking North American history so it is OLD if it is 100-150yrs old. I would love to do a cruising trip around Europe checking out some true history where you find buildings and castles literally several hundred years old. Very neat, thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Added big horsepower to the troopy today with some turbo stickers from Etsy.
What engine do you have in that?

Never-mind, just found your build thread. HJ w/aftermarket turbos still?

Another trip done and dusted. Went over the range again to minus 2 nights. Tested the new rear drawer setup to see if I could fit most of the stuff I had in the big Aluminium toolbox I used to carry on back, and with some canvas bags it all fitted. All the recovery gear is in the left drawer so I don’t have to open tyre carrier to get to. Going to work on a small roof rack next.
EA697773-2122-4BCE-A726-1B8FA785C74C.jpeg

91DC01B6-10BD-463D-9E04-16AC8E00742F.jpeg

45F1FB6E-940F-44AD-AB2F-87564E5B7331.jpeg

FB012236-3580-47F4-8B68-1883FE080B7A.jpeg

428428F0-CCF2-4C6E-B51B-763140B55AA8.jpeg

The front axle rebuild saga goes on.

Need a new hub body stub after the threads on the stud stripped under like 10# of torque....they are avail/listed on megazip.

Tore down side two and discovered that someone had previously serviced it and failed to put in the third T20 screw on the free wheel hub ring of the electric hubs that screws down to the 54mm adjuster for wheel bearings....its well grooved and there is associated brush wear but its still functional and the part is avail as well....I can always solder a bit of material onto the brush(s) as needed to get more life out of them until I have $$$ to do the manual hub swap.

Should have second side rebuilt tomorrow....ball is cleaned up, oil seal in and steering knuckle races are in........got some cleaning to do on knuckle housing and possibly painting but everything looks serviceable.

Just an observation, if you're looking to use an SST to properly set up shim stack for the steering knuckle the trail tailor tool wont work for the 77 out of the box. Everything appears ok except for the scribe piece that is supposed to insert into the tube....apparently the 77 has a different ball than other 70 series....it fits on the spindle side no problem and the scribe holder has an option that is same inner diameter of an oil seal but there's too much wobble to get accurate measurements.....a machinist buddy is going to make a proper adapter for me and I'll give it try next time tear it down

The thing that is causing me concern is the wheels that the PO/Importer put on the vehicle....nomad and there's only just over 5 threads enguaged on the lug nuts when torqued down when I believe the spec calls for 8 threads of enguagement........current situation is no bueno.....my options are to seek out longer lugs and press them into all 4 corners OR replace the wheels....replacing the wheels is probably the least painful.....except on the wallet.....but I'm left asking myself WTF was the PO/Importer thinking?

If anyone has thoughts I'm all ears.

Last edited:
The front axle rebuild saga goes on.

Need a new hub body stub after the threads on the stud stripped under like 10# of torque....they are avail/listed on megazip.

Tore down side two and discovered that someone had previously serviced it and failed to put in the third T20 screw on the free wheel hub ring of the electric hubs that screws down to the 54mm adjuster for wheel bearings....its well grooved and there is associated brush wear but its still functional and the part is avail as well....I can always solder a bit of material onto the brush(s) as needed to get more life out of them until I have $$$ to do the manual hub swap.

Should have second side rebuilt tomorrow....ball is cleaned up, oil seal in and steering knuckle races are in........got some cleaning to do on knuckle housing and possibly painting but everything looks serviceable.

Just an observation, if you're looking to use an SST to properly set up shim stack for the steering knuckle the trail tailor tool wont work for the 77 out of the box. Everything appears ok except for the scribe piece that is supposed to insert into the tube....apparently the 77 has a different ball than other 70 series....it fits on the spindle side no problem and the scribe holder has an option that is same inner diameter of an oil seal but there's too much wobble to get accurate measurements.....a machinist buddy is going to make a proper adapter for me and I'll give it try next time tear it down

The thing that is causing me concern is the wheels that the PO/Importer put on the vehicle....nomad and there's only just over 5 threads enguaged on the lug nuts when torqued down when I believe the spec calls for 8 threads of enguagement........current situation is no bueno.....my options are to seek out longer lugs and press them into all 4 corners OR replace the wheels....replacing the wheels is probably the least painful.....except on the wallet.....but I'm left asking myself WTF was the PO/Importer thinking?

If anyone has thoughts I'm all ears.
There is alot of stress on those wheel hubs off road, especially if you have lockers. Need to be installed properly/without skimping/patching substituting. I lost one cone washer on one of mine and put it together "temporarily" without the cone washer late one night, to get it out of the garage and then forgot about the missing washer. Failure occurred off roading a couple trips later requiring a complete new hub and new locking hub.

Not sure about your 77, but to buy knockoff Aisin type manual hubs for my BJ73 to replace the always locked drive hubs was less than $75 for the pair on Ebay.

I've never found replacing wheel studs to be that painfully difficult or expensive, (air chisel and ball peen out and get started and then pull home with impact gun) but if you have to replace them all then that is a bit of work. It's a decent excuse to justify buying some different rims if you want them...............If you got your LC from the importer/reseller then they did whatever they needed to sell the vehicle. Based on your emperical research/testing 5 threads is sufficient for awhile anyway. Its sort of like when people drive around for years missing a lug not or having a broken lug on their truck "because they still have 4 or 5 good lug nuts to hold the wheel on".....The LC is quite overbuilt compared to most other consumer 4wd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom