What did you do on your 70 series today? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From left to right

Lhd HZJ73 I just redid and getting it ready for the new owner to drive it cross country

LJ73 , needs new tcase and I am going to attempt installing a ac kit intended for the newer model on it , if that works I think a lot of first gen LJ owners will be happy

VM Bj73 that I swapped a 1HZ in , waiting for customer pick up and drive it cross country

HZJ75 troopy lhd with ac and lockers , as soon as I am done with the LJ I will be getting this one ready for a new owner , many interested parties on it but still available at the moment

The fun machine , next weeken we go wheeling with some friends in OK so I put some air in the ever leaking beadlocks and checked fluids 😉

View attachment 3091275View attachment 3091276View attachment 3091277

Nice collection my friend ..

Troopy have electric or cable lockers ?

This is funny! I saw the pic of the incredible garage line up and the first thing I said was "sweet T100!"

I hardly ever see one, much less a V6 ext cab 4wd.
My 1998 (V6 ext cab 4WD SR5) is still kickin' around... it's more my dad's truck now though. It just logged over 250K miles. KS winters ate the bed, but we found a very clean replacement. We have ambitions to clean it up and repaint it at some point.

Best all around size of truck that Toyota every made... in my opinion.

Nice collection my friend ..

Troopy have electric or cable lockers ?
Electric , the hzj’s have the 8” hp in the front and therefore electrical lockers

From left to right

Lhd HZJ73 I just redid and getting it ready for the new owner to drive it cross country

LJ73 , needs new tcase and I am going to attempt installing a ac kit intended for the newer model on it , if that works I think a lot of first gen LJ owners will be happy

VM Bj73 that I swapped a 1HZ in , waiting for customer pick up and drive it cross country

HZJ75 troopy lhd with ac and lockers , as soon as I am done with the LJ I will be getting this one ready for a new owner , many interested parties on it but still available at the moment

The fun machine , next weeken we go wheeling with some friends in OK so I put some air in the ever leaking beadlocks and checked fluids 😉

View attachment 3091275View attachment 3091276View attachment 3091277
is that a factory sun roof on the hjz73?

Head is finally done from the machine shop guys, happy days

3b - new head,mls gasket, exhaust manifold, turbo,exhaust rockers, injectors

always feels good to be putting parts back on the truck....

IMG_20220819_230730[1].jpg

IMG_20220819_230739[1].jpg

IMG_20220819_230818[1].jpg

I’ve had a single ARB air compressor in the engine bay for quite a while and although it was more than adequate for operating the air lockers it was inadequate for re-inflating tires in a timely fashion. Decided to go bigger and also relocate it to the rear bed. Just waiting on one more part that should arrive Monday, to complete the installation. I also need an ARB decal to make my box look more expensive. 😁

777AEF5A-CC1B-44CD-AB7D-BF671A1BFF33.jpeg

0355128D-FE0E-4773-B118-84EA85BCBBBF.jpeg

Last edited:
B
Is this a new style (wide nose) cup holder?
Does it fit the old style cabs (narrow)?
That looks like a futuristic version of the Steyr M9....what is it?
I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the cup holder is adaptable to any transmission tunnel.
P.M. sent….

Took her on some sandy trails in Gelderland / NL, en route to my parents place. The drought here made the tracks really deep. A bit like beach driving 😎.
2022-08-21_17-11-07.jpg

On an earlier offroad adventure, I slid backwards on an incline, and suicidally a tree jumped into my way, denting my right rear bumper section. 🙄
20220522_132513.jpg

I used my dad's metal workshop: Cut out the bracket to give some room. My dad has a gigantic, 80 year old vice, which he inherited from my grandfather. That had the span to go around the bumper and straightened the thing pretty nice. Welded the bracket back in place. Ready 😁
Will be sanding and painting it next week.

I investigated a wop wop wop sound in front tires. They are horribly cupped, I think that’s the right term. Wheel bearings don’t feel loose but that’s my best guess.
DBC26F39-1405-4781-AE67-0744E4E9C712.jpeg

FE275644-DD45-4A12-A3E9-1324ED5C3766.jpeg

I investigated a wop wop wop sound in front tires. They are horribly cupped, I think that’s the right term. Wheel bearings don’t feel loose but that’s my best guess.View attachment 3093788
View attachment 3093789

Cupping will definitely do that wop wop wop sound. It was really bad on a set of tires I had and I could feel it. Since then, I've been pretty particular about rotating my tires at every oil change.

From left to right

Is that LJ the one out of Graham that we supplied the T-case for? Glad to see that getting taken care of in the right hands.

Is that LJ the one out of Graham that we supplied the T-case for? Glad to see that getting taken care of in the right hands.
Yes it is , working on it now . The gear on the main shaft is completely seized on it , need to find a extra large bearing puller for it .

Haven’t been in my favorite corner of the web in a long time.....busy with non-70 series stuff but that’s going to change in a big way here real soon :)

I grabbed my 79 at the shop yesterday when I took delivery of something really cool.......2 rare oddballs meeting each other for the first time :)

20220821_135201.jpg

The little space buggy is a 1960s Concept 1 VW kit car.....not a lot of info on them but this one appears to be really original and not very messed with. Title is from 69....the pan is a 61. In 69 it was title as a ’dune buggy’ so I’m guessing it was built mid 60s. I’ll pop a motor in it and see where to take it next. I’m sure I’ll giver her a resto at some point.

This one had the optional metal flake gelcoat.....it’s faded unfortunately but it still looks cool.

20220821_143859_1.jpg

Haven’t been in my favorite corner of the web in a long time.....busy with non-70 series stuff but that’s going to change in a big way here real soon :)

I grabbed my 79 at the shop yesterday when I took delivery of something really cool.......2 rare oddballs meeting each other for the first time :)

View attachment 3094444

The little space buggy is a 1960s Concept 1 VW kit car.....not a lot of info on them but this one appears to be really original and not very messed with. Title is from 69....the pan is a 61. In 69 it was title as a ’dune buggy’ so I’m guessing it was built mid 60s. I’ll pop a motor in it and see where to take it next. I’m sure I’ll giver her a resto at some point.

This one had the optional metal flake gelcoat.....it’s faded unfortunately but it still looks cool.

View attachment 3094446
Very nice rig.
Some info here: VW-Buggy – Wikipedia - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW-Buggy
(Hope there is an English translation somwhere).
Try to find out who made the body. There were quite a few manufacturers in US and Germany. Meyers Manks was famous in the US, Karmann from Osnabrueck in Germany.
The original engine would be a 4cyl air-cooled boxer T1 from a VW beetle.
Enjoy Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom