What did you do on your 70 series today? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ABS door cards turned up today. Waterproof, which is good to know in case my car fills up with water. Comes with plastic fasteners, which I might replace with stainless button head socket screws?
(The dusty marks on them are from the sun filtering through the tree leaves)

View attachment 1835818

View attachment 1835819

Billy,

Where did you purchase the ABS door cards ?
Replacing the cardboard with ABS is a great idea.

Radiator getting dropped off at repair shop.

5 minutes with steel wool and turtle wax chrome polish shines up the turbo heat shield.

turboshield.jpg

Radiator getting dropped off at repair shop.

5 minutes with steel wool and turtle wax chrome polish shines up the turbo heat shield.

turboshield.jpg

Nice! How difficult was it to get the bolts out? I have been thinking of removing mine but the bolt heads look a little edgy and I don't want to break anything just to make it look pretty.

I might have seen what winch you are running at some point but don't recall now, so what winch was that and did it fail due to overloading/undersized?

Winch is a Carbon 12000lb by KPD industries. Came with a 5 year water ingress/electrical warranty, lifetime mechanical warranty and good reviews.

I dont think it was overloaded but I was trying to winch over rolled 76 series in soft sand. They are going to send over a upgraded HD gear setup they have been working on. I'll see how it goes.

Nice! How difficult was it to get the bolts out? I have been thinking of removing mine but the bolt heads look a little edgy and I don't want to break anything just to make it look pretty.

Those came off fairly easily. I haven’t really had any issues with bolts yet on this cruiser, but anything near the exhaust gives me caution.
The engine was fairly clean for the mileage.

I bet you can do it while it’s on the vehicle. It’s cleans up really quick with that steel wool and polish. Might not be too hard on the old back....not that you are THAT old. :)

ABS door cards turned up today. Waterproof, which is good to know in case my car fills up with water. Comes with plastic fasteners, which I might replace with stainless button head socket screws?
(The dusty marks on them are from the sun filtering through the tree leaves)

View attachment 1835818

View attachment 1835819

I’m looking to get those on tan or brown but they don’t have them ready yet. Do they have the cargo cards with the same pattern?

20 minutes total work. Probably could get it a little cleaner but I have so much more to work on.

turboshield2.jpg

On the way to get some hay I dropped the radiator off. I'm waiting to hear back but initial diagnosis is it's going to need fully rebuilt. So aluminum or rebuild this one, price is going to probably win out here. Aluminum is around $288 for the china radiators...I have no idea how good they are.

tundra.jpg

On the way to get some hay I dropped the radiator off. I'm waiting to hear back but initial diagnosis is it's going to need fully rebuilt. So aluminum or rebuild this one, price is going to probably win out here. Aluminum is around $288 for the china radiators...I have no idea how good they are.

If it comes to an Aluminum rad, check with Rob at Odd Iron Offroad. I am not sure where he sources them, but I am pleased with the aluminum radiator in my 77 ....

Took a quick solo trip (well, me and the dog) to the southern part of Death Valley National Park. Awesome place and even better when driving a 70 series.

Heading up Harry Wade
DV181.jpg

Can't resist a sunset shot
DV182.jpg

Headed up Warm Springs toward Butte Valley. Along the way (sorry no pics), I crossed paths with a Swiss woman driving solo up from South America...in a Troopie! Amazing coincidence given I hadn't seen anyone in hours and the last time I saw another 70 series was at the Southwest 70 series event. There's always something unexpected in Death Valley.

Arrived and stayed at Geologist Cabin, offering one of my favorite views in the park
DV183.jpg

(note the corral in the picture above. This was some sort of temporary holding location for the wild burros being relocated from the park. Later that day, someone took it apart, loaded it onto a trailer, and headed toward Warm Springs. I didn't see a single burro, so apparently the relocation is complete.)

After a couple days, headed out over Mengel Pass. Word on the trail was that the pass was in really bad condition. I drove up with without realizing I was in the tough part...this truck is so much fun. It probably helps that @woody was pushing me to the limits in Utah a few weeks back, so I'm getting used to the more difficult lines.
DV184.jpg

Came down a wetter version of Goler Wash than I've seen
DV185.jpg

Airing up in Ballarat. Some quasi-tech...I wired a quick disconnect out to the bumper to get 24V power the winch without opening the hood. Seems to work.
DV186.jpg

Great trip. Ready to go back. @Dan2722 and @bushdoctor , you ready?

DV is always special. Weather looked perfect. Glad smokes never got bit by the coyote..we need to get out there soon

Took a quick solo trip (well, me and the dog) to the southern part of Death Valley National Park. Awesome place and even better when driving a 70 series.

Heading up Harry Wade
DV181.jpg

Can't resist a sunset shot
DV182.jpg

Headed up Warm Springs toward Butte Valley. Along the way (sorry no pics), I crossed paths with a Swiss woman driving solo up from South America...in a Troopie! Amazing coincidence given I hadn't seen anyone in hours and the last time I saw another 70 series was at the Southwest 70 series event. There's always something unexpected in Death Valley.

Arrived and stayed at Geologist Cabin, offering one of my favorite views in the park
DV183.jpg

(note the corral in the picture above. This was some sort of temporary holding location for the wild burros being relocated from the park. Later that day, someone took it apart, loaded it onto a trailer, and headed toward Warm Springs. I didn't see a single burro, so apparently the relocation is complete.)

After a couple days, headed out over Mengel Pass. Word on the trail was that the pass was in really bad condition. I drove up with without realizing I was in the tough part...this truck is so much fun. It probably helps that @woody was pushing me to the limits in Utah a few weeks back, so I'm getting used to the more difficult lines.
DV184.jpg

Came down a wetter version of Goler Wash than I've seen
DV185.jpg

Airing up in Ballarat. Some quasi-tech...I wired a quick disconnect out to the bumper to get 24V power the winch without opening the hood. Seems to work.
DV186.jpg

Great trip. Ready to go back. @Dan2722 and @bushdoctor , you ready?

More work done today.

Cam came back from grind:
camgrind.jpg

Crank getting polished. Found out middle bearing is out of spec. Going to have to buy .25 undersized bearings now. :(
I think I'm getting them from engine australia as OEM are really pricey.

crankgrind.jpg

Sleeve pulling.

sleevespulling.jpg

Fun information: The bore size for a 13bt just so happens to be the same as the popular Isuzu 6B/4B series of engines for quite a a few years, mainly known in the NPR trucks. Machine shop already had that setup so that was pretty easy for him.

Last edited:
I’m looking to get those on tan or brown but they don’t have them ready yet. Do they have the cargo cards with the same pattern?

No they don't do the rear cargo cards yet. I sent them a message yesterday for you asking if they are thinking of doing them ( I don't need a set because I have an aluminium shelf in the way). This was there response this morning.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

I cleaned the back of my shed up and threw my rear cards away only on Monday (they were ripped) they would have made good templates but its too late now. I've had some feedback and interest on the front ABS cards from a facebook group I'm in so maybe one of them will give A.D.C a 73 series with cards so they can template? have to wait and see, or maybe you could organise something? group buy ??

My red turbo badge turned up today.
Hopefully get round to painting the background of the diesel badge black soon. Then figure out how to fix to the grille.
Had put aside some time this week but a freak storm went through a couple of hours ago and knocked 3 trees over so Ill be on the blunt end of a chainsaw for the next few days. :bang:

IMG_5944.JPG

IMG_5945.JPG

Last edited:
Great trip. Ready to go back. @Dan2722 and @bushdoctor , you ready?[/QUOTE]

Can't wait to get back out there!

Snow tire time. Looks so weak

And even these 16’s from a first gen tundra wouldn’t fit w/o spacers

EE1C7FA6-A47A-474B-9599-DD0D08625450.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom