Builds Bushdoctor' LX 450 - 80's Build Progress - "Berky" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Unlike the 100, I've decided to do a build thread for the 80.

I've been fortunate enough to learn loads from this community and I figured, sharing my own build experience would hopefully generate something positive that would perhaps help others make decisions on their own builds. Not to mention, I would also keep learning from what others have to preach - the good, the bad, the ugly, you name it - bring it all.

A little background - I've been happy owning a 100 series for a couple of years. Solid vehicle in MOST regards. I've had the pleasure to explore numerous places and the adventure spirit continues to burn within. I really enjoyed building that truck to the point where I'm now mostly just enjoying driving it more than building it and running maintenance on the "old lady". Something about driving a cruiser - YESS! Feel awesome.

Anyway, the 80 has always intrigued me and I figured it's only prudent that I search for and own one. Many debates on this forum on 80 vs 100 vs etc. Personally, it has a special place in my heart, from it's looks, to how it drives. I don't expect it to be a 100 and I don't even like to compare it (in negativity) to the 100. YES, they will have differences. But, they both have their own benefits in their own very special way which I wont get into because that might derail my build thread.

So anyway, after 2 years of searching, I landed an opportunity. An LX450. Named her "Berky" partly because of where she was from (Berkeley, CA) and simply because she demands a portion of the paycheck deposited in her (just like Berkshire Hathaway the investment firm). But, forget the money - it more so an investment too into my love for adventure and the many more trails out there that await.

She was bone stock (and I mean bone stock - no upgrades at all), factory front and rear lockers (something I was very keen on having), no challenging off-road experience with a scratch-free belly. The underside was actually full of webs and leaves. Previous owner pretty much wanted to clear out some 'old unused stuff' at their place and the truck just couldn't make the cut and had to find a new home. Oh well, one man's poison is another man's meat. '97 LX450 190K miles, only 10K miles put on it in the last 10 years. AC was disfunctional, No rust except on the 3rd row seats which were probably out in the elements, no HG leaks, few recently done maintenance - radiator and distributor cap, new air filter.

Most 80s I'd seen in this shape were demanding more $$$$, so to pay less than half of what I considered to be the market value (and trending upwards) was a no-brainer. "Whats the worst that could happen?" I asked. Resell at fair market value?

Well, after a few more questions back and forth, we made the deal happen and the truck found a new home in sunny San Diego from the bay area. She made her way down the coast on a hot summers day.

upload_2018-9-19_13-0-12.png

Running boards removed

upload_2018-9-19_13-0-55.png

The herd together with my collie doing what he does best - herding

upload_2018-9-19_13-1-54.png

Last edited:
The BUILD

I've seen loads of well built 80's out there. I don't plan on over-building this (cross my fingers) - and that's highly subjective.At least that's my mentality going into it.

I do recall the 100 being able to successfully traverse loads of technical trails without any hustles with just a lift and sliders (gots' to have sliders for sure). Just had to be more cautious about the lines I was taking with a well seasoned spotter having my back. This being an 80, I believe it will even be more capable. For that reason, I'm not in a rush to install rear and front bumpers - key word, not in a rush. If the stock bumpers start getting tore up, then they will become upgrade candidates at that point.
I will list some items I would like - must haves and some nice to have down the line if ever, and the long term maybe's.

Deletes within the first week - The usual
  • Running boards
  • Tow hitch
  • Spare tire carrier and hoist
  • 3rd row seats
  • Factory roof rack (considering)
  • Stripped interior and clean old dirt and "de-smell" the cabin
MUST UPGRADES

• Engine maintenance - Pro-active (will have an expanded listing) - in-progress
  • Upgraded interior lights (including instrument cluster) to LEDs (all) - done
  • Upgraded front light harness (slee) and bulbs (9006/9005) - done
  • Upgraded exterior light bulbs - bright LEDs (Brakes, Reverse) - done
  • Front corner lights mod- convert to running day light and turn signal (switchback bulbs) - In progress
  • Extra cup-holders (front and middle-row) - done
  • CDL switch wiring/Pin 7 mod (for 3X locked) - done
  • Upgraded H/N/L knob - done
  • Rear view mirror with temp and compass - done
  • Scan gauge II hook up - done
  • Seat covers and minor seat tear repairs - done
  • Seat adjustments brackets (tall and backward)
  • Suspension upgrade - springs, shocks etc - (Tough dog) - done
  • Caster correction ( Land Tank plates) - done
  • Extended Brake lines - done
  • Extended diff breathers
  • Tire size up (35's) - done
  • Wheel pacers - done
  • New Brake pads/rotors (Front) - done
  • New Brake pads/rotors (Rear) -
  • Sound proofing (FULL) - done
  • Window tint
  • AUX panel wiring to facilitate aux items (x3 locations) - done
  • Sliders (white-knucle)
  • Aux fan*** - might not be necessary with Blue fan clutch in place ** - wiring in place nevertheless - Not needed with blue fan clutch.
  • Blue fan (moded with 15K fluid) - done
  • Interior spare tire carrier custom -
  • Tail-gate cover upgrade (6061 aluminium) - done
  • Attic storage - custom - done
  • Upgraded tow points - done
  • Clean seat-belts -
  • Improved sun visors (LS400) - in progress
  • Upgraded floor mats (Front and Rear) - In progress
NICE TO HAVE
  • HAM radio (got a hand-held for now and mobile on the 100) - done
  • Snorkel (Safari) -
  • Interior storage drawer(s) (ARB with side storage) -
  • Upgraded stereo/speakers -
  • Extended brake lines - done
  • Extended links - In progress
  • Dual battery set-up & relocate washer container -
  • Relocate AC Dryer -
  • Skid plates -
  • Winch -
  • Front bumper (moved from wishl ist to here), if I consider the winch this tags along. -
LONG-TERM MAYBE's/WISHLIST

Being that for now, this won't be my primary long distances trip/over-landing vehicle I may not throw money into the following components until it's very necessary. Maybe santa could deliver this one day. Probably never get to do these but it's ok to dream.
  • Roof rack
  • Rear bumper
  • Chromoly Heavy Duty axles
  • Re-gearing 4:88s and venturing with 37s
  • SCS wheels
  • WRX seats* (*doubtful, if I can get great seat covers, then probably not)
ENGINE BAY AND OTHER MAINTENANCE ITEMS

• All fluids replaced:
Coolant flush & replace w/Toyota red - done
Heater core flush - done
Transmission
Transfer case
Differentials - done
Brake fluid - done
Power steering

• New OEM radiator (with the 3 Main hoses - 1 upper and 2 lower - done
  • All new engine rubber:
    • Belts; AC and double V - done
    • PCV hoses, valve and grommet - done
    • Vaccum lines; - in progress
    • Seals - oil pump cover seal - done ; crank main seal - done
  • A/C Recharged (ice cold) - done
  • Water pump ( ), oil pump ( ) , timing chain ( ) and tensioner ( ), thermostat (done ), heater valve & hoses (done)
  • PHH replacement with silicone hose and rear heater delete (with upgraded hoses) - done
  • Clamp upgrades - done
  • Filter - Fuel filter, transmission filter,
  • Spark plugs, cap*, rotor, spark plug wires - New at the time of purchase from PO
  • Upgraded battery bracket & terminals, with fusable link de-stress cable - done
  • Head Gasket - if needed*
DRIVETRAIN
  • Knuckle rebuild - DONE
This list may not be exhaustive. I may add some items as time elapses.

Some lastest poser shots

Borrego desert - 12/22/2018

Ocotillo Desert - 04/07/2019

Pinyon mountains - 04/13/2019

Last edited:
In the first week. I decided to hit the drive through car wash. MAYHEM, I created a waterfall in the cabin. It sucked but glad it happened sooner rather than later. I looked at several threads and discovered this was common in the 80 with blocked drain holes. Went to work on it but I felt even more compelled to tear down/strip the insides to see if this was creating damage and perhaps the reason behind the musky smell in the cabin.I started off with a mild strip, but the more I went through the process the more I decided to just do it all and do it right, once and for all. Glad I did, because I learnt more about the vehicle and discovered some minor and fixable damage. Previous owner perhaps wasn't aware of this and left it parked out in the elements.

The center console was a bit of a challenge to remove at first but figured it out. Thanks to a thread I found on mud. Thanks

@corsair23 - LX450 Center Console Removal?

One thing I must state:
I found lots of loose change under the console carpet. I need to put together all the quarter, pennies and the 5 dollar bill I found. I guess that adds to my luck and discount on the rig. In addition to the change, were leaves, dead spiders, dead bees, hair, napkins, straws, left overs D.N.A all over...WTH!!! shiiiit. This was like a caller ID crime investigation scene.

While in the stripped phase, I will probably take this opportunity to run a bunch of wiring.

Carpet was dump here and along the rocker panels. Left like so, this would definitely have been the cause of the "smell"

upload_2018-9-19_13-24-41.png

Interesting, the back bolts where the 3rd row seats were, had rust on them. Took them off and cleaned them on the bench grinder and painted them

upload_2018-9-19_13-26-10.png

Before and after
upload_2018-9-19_13-26-34.png

Probing those drain holes. I will need to do more testing on this with everything still stripped
upload_2018-9-19_14-15-35.png

Last edited:
9/18/2018

Added the CDL + pin 7 mod (thanks to youtube, @sleeoffroad site)

upload_2018-9-19_13-30-48.png

Nice work Tony! Can't wait to see the new rig on one of our adventures.

Oh, and welcome to the 80 section! :flipoff2::flipoff2: It's about time.

Nice work Tony! Can't wait to see the new rig on one of our adventures.

Oh, and welcome to the 80 section! :flipoff2::flipoff2: It's about time.
Thought I'd sneak in

@bushdoctor one of the items on your list is "Hub-centric spacers" did you installed this item?

I just ordered them from Bora and should be here next week. I used them on my other truck and they have worked superbly..They don't really advertise 80 hub centric spacers on their site but Lenny said they do make them and will be updating their website to include them. Life time warranty. They recommended 1.5 - 2 inches. I decided on 1.5 inches and they can exchange at no cost if later I opt to go with 2.0 inches. Keep you posted

I just ordered them from Bora and should be here next week. I used them on my other truck and they have worked superbly..They don't really advertise 80 hub centric spacers on their site but Lenny said they do make them and will be updating their website to include them. Life time warranty. They recommended 1.5 - 2 inches. I decided on 1.5 inches and they can exchange at no cost if later I opt to go with 2.0 inches. Keep you posted

the reason I was asking is that I got indication on mud that centric spacer are not compatible with 80 FF Axle

the reason I was asking is that I got indication on mud that centric spacer are not compatible with 80 FF Axle

I'll get more information once I get them delivered.

update:

Having gone through the ordeal of water streaming through the sun-roof. I kept pondering how much more potential negative side effects there might be. I love water, but not when it's making it's way into the rig.

I went through several threads of people addressing this issue. My resolution was going to be a mix of what several folks found successful. I also wanted to add some sound dampening since that worked out well on the 100. I feel like it also helped cool the interior a good bit.

Another task I was keen on was removing the factory roof rack. To do this, and to plug the holes left behind meant removing the headliner and perhaps the entire sun-roof. The timing couldn't have been any better. I went ahead and stripped the interior with the following in mind;

- Resolve the leaking roof rack and determine the extent on any water damage.
- Remove the roof rack and seal up the holes with either grommets or welding (except for one where I plan to run wire for my rear lights
- Run auxiliary wiring - distribution block (lights, Ham, aftermarket rear mirror, stereo, Scan gauge etc)
- Sound deadening
- Headliner cleaning/alteration

The process was going to be slow, painful at times but bottom line - I want to do it right once and for all. I don't foresee doing this again in the near future.

So far I've spent a couple of hours a day after work slowly working away. Also gave much thought on where any needed wiring ought to run.

Removing the headliner

This was done systematically in order to simplify the process of putting everything back. There was the possibility that I will install my lift while the interior is still stripped.A trip to do an alignment would be very possible.

I must say, removing the foam on the top was no walk in the park. It was very messy and I did the best I could to remove it (lightly wire brushed, sanding and painted over the little that was left for a smooth surface I could apply the sound deadening

As far as water damage...Nothing scary at all ..I think the moisture must have been the reason for some of the minor rust on the seat bolts/brackets ..there really wasn't any on the exterior of the vehicle..All the little build up under the seat was cleaned up.

upload_2018-9-24_23-45-30.png

THe foam
upload_2018-9-24_23-46-15.png

upload_2018-9-24_23-46-47.png

The drains

upload_2018-9-25_0-25-25.png

Last edited:
The roof rack

This was another painful endeavor. It's like they put this thing in such a way that no one should ever remove it. I tried hard not to strip any bolts but that didnt happen. Eventually I just saved myself time and sawzalled the heck out of it. FELT GOOD!!!

Fyi... Left the black fins/ribs on the roof. I don't suppose they will hinder future roof top installation Just didn't want to deal with more holes..if they don't affect anything then I felt best to just let them stay

upload_2018-9-24_23-49-4.png

upload_2018-9-25_0-15-1.png

Next up..

Removing the Sunroof (the whole thing)

This was not an easy task. 4+ hands helps if available.

upload_2018-9-24_23-51-3.png

upload_2018-9-24_23-51-30.png

Last edited:
After doing some of the heavy stuff, I decided to do some light duty work -

Replaced the door lights with @pfran42 LEDs (no pics for now), I couldn't do the other lights in the kit since my whole top interior was out. Saved that for another day.

Did some more paracoding on the steering wheel and blinged up the grill with this...

**one day I will pick up one of those @kelly saad grills***

upload_2018-9-24_23-53-38.png

upload_2018-9-24_23-56-12.png

I also started on the sound deadening - Wheel well and upfront... I will be doing more of this in the course of the week if I have time. I used a combination of the deadening material and foil tape for that clean look.

View attachment 1797013

upload_2018-9-25_0-1-51.png

Last edited:
9/24/2018

Did more trouble-shooting on the sun-roof. I think I found my specific issue. I will try fix it before I fork out any money on a new one. Also got some rubber grommets to fill the holes. Rather than weld, I think this with some silicone should do the trick.

Unfortunately when I initially removed the sunroof, I removed it with it open..had to lift it on the roof to reconnect and open it and troubleshoot. I will be removing the glass tomorrow

upload_2018-9-25_0-10-59.png

Rubber grommet from the local hardware store

To seal/block the holes
upload_2018-9-25_0-11-44.png

To pass the wire run for the lights

upload_2018-9-25_21-55-31.png

Last edited:
9/25/2018

More investigation on the sun-roof. This was never going to be easy. Removed the glass piece. Managed to break 1 out of 2 garnishes. Not bad considering those things are SUPER brittle and are expected to break. For the one that broke, I think I can epoxy back the pieces and just paint it.

Please note, am following the 2 threads below (they pretty much nailed it in their write-up);

who has sealed their sunroof?

Another water leak thread(i'm out of troubleshooting ideas)

@BILT4ME - As I removed the glass, the shims moved. I couldn't quite tell where the 5th one came from. All I can do is guess that it popped from the passenger front side. Did you have one edge with double shims. There must have been two shims on that edge and one was underneath because all the ones that were above must have had nut imprints (marks) on them from fastening the nuts on the metal.

Meanwhile I need to figure out more on the "bicycle tube repair" - remember fixing bike tubes as a kid.

And the work goes on...

upload_2018-9-25_20-27-13.png

Going to treat the seal with this stuff - @AtlWagen

upload_2018-9-25_20-29-14.png

View attachment 1797623

Used some goo gone to really clean the gunk pasted and caked on the rubber seal attached to the frame. I can almost tell where the water collection was happening from the filth. Anyway, cleaned it spotless. Looks brand new now. Just need to zero in on where to apply the tube fix.

upload_2018-9-25_21-50-30.png

Last edited:
9/25/2018

More investigation on the sun-roof. This was never going to be easy. Removed the glass piece. Managed to break 1 out of 2 garnishes. Not bad considering those things are SUPER brittle and are expected to break. For the one that broke, I think I can epoxy back the pieces and just paint it.

Please note, am following the 2 threads below (they pretty much nailed it in their write-up);

who has sealed their sunroof?

Another water leak thread(i'm out of troubleshooting ideas)

@BILT4ME - As I removed the glass, the shims moved. I couldn't quite tell where the 5th one came from. All I can do is guess that it popped from the passenger front side. Did you have one edge with double shims. There must have been two shims on that edge and one was underneath because all the ones that were above must have had nut imprints (marks) on them from fastening the nuts on the metal.

Meanwhile I need to figure out more on the "bicycle tube repair" - remember fixing bike tubes as a kid.

And the work goes on...

View attachment 1797636

Going to treat the seal with this stuff - @AtlWagen

View attachment 1797637

View attachment 1797623

Used some goo gone to really clean the gunk pasted and caked on the rubber seal attached to the frame. I can almost tell where the water collection was happening from the filth. Anyway, cleaned it spotless. Looks brand new now. Just need to zero in on where to apply the tube fix.

View attachment 1797688

I have not taken my SR out at this time to determine quantities or locations of shims. As I understand it (from LOTS of reading) that the shim counts can vary and it is based on the fit to the roof on that truck. Others may vary. The shim thicknesses are determined based on the fit to the roof (+/- 0.5mm?) to the level surface of the roof.

I found out that my pan had two leaks when fully assembled if a bolt goes through or a rivet goes through seal it up while you have it out.

Put the sunroof pan over some cardboard and block the tubes so the pan HOLDS water and check for leaks, might save you some aggravation.

Leaking from a Rivet hole?

I found out that my pan had two leaks when fully assembled if a bolt goes through or a rivet goes through seal it up while you have it out.

Put the sunroof pan over some cardboard and block the tubes so the pan HOLDS water and check for leaks, might save you some aggravation.

Leaking from a Rivet hole?

Thanks for the valuable information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom