What did you do on your 70 series today? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Driving the coast in Tunisia
20181116_163216.jpg

Been wanting to do this for a while....bought some parts....put some holes in my hood.....gas struts and no more prop rod.

HZJ73 gets them next as it took me a few sets of struts to figure out the right weight I needed....my hood is really heavy on the 79 with the sound deadener so I had to keep going up. Way up. 73 hood is super light in comparison.

After almost 30 years of owning Toyotas, it's really strange to open a hood and not put a prop rod in. Really really weird.

20181130_114051_HDR.jpg
20181130_114041_HDR.jpg
20181130_114026_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
G'Day Fella's,

c2dfj45 can you please let me know, what the gas strut part numbers are?
I'd like to do the same installation, on my BJ73.

Regards and Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

c2dfj45 can you please let me know, what the gas strut part numbers are?
I'd like to do the same installation, on my BJ73.

Regards and Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

BT Struts has a kit down there where you are. I figured it would be expensive to bring one in to the States so I made my own.

I think I'll put together a kit(I want to make a reinforcement plate under the bracket for the hood) and sell them once I do the 73 kit. Figured a few guys will want them for the earlier trucks. Not a whole lot of LC79s running around in the US......

I think you would be able to sell some for the narrow-nose trucks. If your prototype does not have a hood insulator or windshield rest blocks you may want to pad the lifting force a bit when you size them. Most will have an insulator and a few will have rest blocks.

I think you would be able to sell some for the narrow-nose trucks. If your prototype does not have a hood insulator or windshield rest blocks you may want to pad the lifting force a bit when you size them. Most will have an insulator and a few will have rest blocks.

I agree.....narrow nose trucks will be a good setup and thanks for the heads up on the insulator/rest blocks....my truck has none.

Maybe I'll have to get a set to someone with both those things to test. I'm pretty sure though that the leverage of the hood and the way they work, I can use a pretty heavy strut.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom