What did you do on your 70 series today? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I want to put the hood bumpers on mine as well. not sure I'll ever use them that much, but they look pretty cool. How did you measure that? Just fold down and mark?

Yes, folded down the windshield to measure the length, then decided to align with the wiper water dispenser (assuming they are equally spaced :))

Couple of holes and thats it -

IMG_0191.jpeg

Still can't find leak in windscreen frame area so I decided to address the resulting rust on the floor.
Pulled off carpet underlay, chipped off old asphalt sound dampener, used harbor freight needle scaler on rusted areas. Painted over with POR15.
Also used Helicoil kit to rethread tow hook mounts.
upload_2018-11-12_12-37-55.png

upload_2018-11-12_12-38-35.png

upload_2018-11-12_12-38-16.png

Worked out the UPS guy with a 120lb ComeUp winch, Affordable Off-Road bumper, and spare snow wheel. I have a harbor freight winch plate to adapt to the new bumper and mount my biggun winch to.

Have a rear Harrop e-locker on the way from East Coast Gear Supply in NC, awesome company to spend money with. Super great customer service and pricing

IMG_4828.jpg

Oh, and a bunch of the little plastic doodles that cover the ends of the glowplugs also

IMG_4827.jpg

Worked out the UPS guy with a 120lb ComeUp winch, Affordable Off-Road bumper, and spare snow wheel. I have a harbor freight winch plate to adapt to the new bumper and mount my biggun winch to.

Have a rear Harrop e-locker on the way from East Coast Gear Supply in NC, awesome company to spend money with. Super great customer service and pricing

View attachment 1833608

Oh, and a bunch of the little plastic doodles that cover the ends of the glowplugs also

View attachment 1833609

Is that the bumper for the FJ40 that you bought ? Looking forward to see how it fits

what wheel is that? ^

2001-2004 Tacoma 16" steelie. Not sure if it will fit a stock 70, but I have wheel spacers anyway. Ordered from Ebay.

Is that the bumper for the FJ40 that you bought ? Looking forward to see how it fits

Yep. Its the winchless FJ40 version. I mounted it today, fabbed some bolt-on frame extensions from 2x4 rectangular tubing, welded them to the back of the bumper. I had to space it out a ways to accommodate the fatness of the DV12 winch. I might have gone a touch too far out, but I think it looks ok. Tomorrow I'll make a plate to bolt down over the top and mount the winch. i'm gonna need an add-a-leaf in front now lol

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4836.jpg

IMG_4835.jpg

IMG_4837.jpg

12,000 lb winch....
Very nice...

Yeah...maybe overkill, maybe not. All my Google research indicated that I was looking at a similar weight to an FJ80, and I think if I had an 80 I'd want at least a 10k. Local Landcruiser club does a LOT of snow wheeling and I figured I'd need all the winch I could get if I went wheeling more often.

Yeah...maybe overkill, maybe not. All my Google research indicated that I was looking at a similar weight to an FJ80, and I think if I had an 80 I'd want at least a 10k. Local Landcruiser club does a LOT of snow wheeling and I figured I'd need all the winch I could ge

In snow and mud it’s recommended to use a winch with a capacity minimum of 1.5 times the vehicle weight. 12,000 May be a little overkill, but better to have too much than not enough.

Last edited:
G'Day Fella's,

There is No such thing as Over Kill........ just dissapointment (when you didn't have enough Grunt, to do the job).

Regards
Homer

ABS door cards turned up today. Waterproof, which is good to know in case my car fills up with water. Comes with plastic fasteners, which I might replace with stainless button head socket screws?
(The dusty marks on them are from the sun filtering through the tree leaves)

IMG_5932.JPG

IMG_5933.JPG

I might have seen what winch you are running at some point but don't recall now, so what winch was that and did it fail due to overloading/undersized?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom