Visiting Latin America, considering buying truck to drive home. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a few borders south of the border visiting for a few months, and I've started looking at classifieds at classic Land Cruisers to drive back north.
Unfortunately I don't know enough about them to make sure I don't waste money.
I was looking at one project to start with, a pickup. Ad says "mechanically perfecto", but bodywork, not so great.
From the two pictures that are posted, it looks solid, with the exception of the roof, which is missing.
I have sent a couple of messages to try to find out more. Not even sure about the year.
Searching for body panels brought me here.
Price is about $7,500, US.

fj45.jpg

assume the worst, you wont be disappointed

I bet $7500 is the fuel bill to drive it home. Look into import fees, documentation, wait times, and some sort of insurance. Good Luck. I have had my FJ for 40 years.

I bought one in Honduras. I saw it before I bought it while on a mission trip. I would highly recommend looking it over really really well. It will probably be covered in bondo. Make sure you check the frame too. Trucks get taxed at 25% when they come in. You can probably expect to pay 2x asking price after all the fees taxes etc. I’m glad I bought mine and I learned a lot about importing, however I probably will not ever do it again from Central America.

This is what a FJ45 bed looks like. That one looks repaired thatway or maybe of a 70 series or other vehicle.
IMG_2978.JPG

The idea of driving forty year old more vehicle that far without a chase vehicle is something I would never attempt. Something goes wrong your not calling AAA.

This is what a FJ45 bed looks like. That one looks repaired thatway or maybe of a 70 series or other vehicle.
View attachment 3466156
The idea of driving forty year old more vehicle that far without a chase vehicle is something I would never attempt. Something goes wrong your not calling AAA.
and without a roof.......

I'd keep looking..
There are probably a lot better ones out there to choose from.
It will have problems. Be prepared to fix everything.

If you're really going to do it then there are a couple of big choices to make.
1) Pickup or a closed cab?
2) Short or Long?
3) Diesel or Petrol (and which engine specifically).
4) Old or Young (ie. 60s or 80s).

I would also keep looking. If you're already down there I would look for something more complete and unrestored, so you know what you are getting.

I wouldn't consider them trashed. There is a segment of 40 enthusiasts that look down on them, I think because there are differences between them and US models. And that there are a lot of them being imported lately, diluting the total units here. There are terrible "restorations" wherever you go, not just SA. FJ Company examples are built down there and people are paying a quarter million for them. I imagine it will be difficult to find one not rusty.

Reactions: 405
I wouldn't consider them trashed. There is a segment of 40 enthusiasts that look down on them, I think because there are differences between them and US models. And that there are a lot of them being imported lately, diluting the total units here. There are terrible "restorations" wherever you go, not just SA. FJ Company examples are built down there and people are paying a quarter million for them. I imagine it will be difficult to find one not rusty.
They are looked down on because more often than not, they are trashed and are pigs with lipstick.

Inclined to agree. Condemning a whole continent of trucks sounds a little bit like mechanical fascism.
Most FJ40s everywhere are not show ponies - nor should they be IMHO.
These working trucks are reliable and repairable - in my view that's the whole point of a 40.
Part of the problem may be exacerbated by feckless buyers importing rubbish tho.

Not to mention the SA trucks typically have less rust, no SBC v8 swaps, and no smog equipment which can be a pro or a con depending on where you live.

I think most people’s gripe with them is it’s hard to find an honest SA truck coming into the US. The ones coming in have been “restored” to varying degrees of workmanship. These trucks were worked down there and in other markets more so than the US.

Poorly done US restorations on US spec 40s are out there as well. Each truck should be evaluated on its own, and not dismissed based on the country it was delivered.

They are looked down on because more often than not, they are trashed and are pigs with lipstick.
Maybe, but that's different from US models how? You can see through most of the ones I see for sale here. It's why Topnault is selling body panels, no?

Most that I've seen were after some sort of restoration, and most of the complaints about them seem to be the lack of quality in restoring.

While I'm sure many have seen some hard use, compared to some of the trucks I've seen from Canada, where they have plows mounted and driven around on salty roads (with frames rusting through), I'm sure some of those SA trucks ain't too bad a place to start a good restoration, if the price was right...

Most that I've seen were after some sort of restoration, and most of the complaints about them seem to be the lack of quality in restoring.

While I'm sure many have seen some hard use, compared to some of the trucks I've seen from Canada, where they have plows mounted and driven around on salty roads (with frames rusting through), I'm sure some of those SA trucks ain't too bad a place to start a good restoration, if the price was right...
If the unrestored would be imported from the south, then yes a much better starting point then most found here....but suspect that the profite margins wouldn't be as high as they are now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom