Buying an FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having just bought mine, this is what I have learned. (Mine was an emotional purchase from a friend. I didn't haggle over the low price.)

Check the frame number against the VIN and engine numbers. Do they all line up? (Mine do not!) The issue with this is you end up looking for parts for your VIN year that don't match your engine year(s). So, ordering the correct parts can be a huge pain. If I ever see one for sale this will be the first thing I check.

In my case, I'd love to find a '75(ish) 2F swap. I am in love with this '40 though, I have learned a ton over the past 3 months getting her (I think it's a her) road ready. Getting her to pass the state inspection meant somebody else agreed that she's safe.

Yes, I still have a laundry list of stuff to fix/replace but it's a labor of love.

If you do end up buying the truck, one of the first things you may want to consider doing is to relocate the fuel filter. I may stand corrected, but the proximity to the carb looks dangerous to me.

Having just bought mine, this is what I have learned. (Mine was an emotional purchase from a friend. I didn't haggle over the low price.)

Check the frame number against the VIN and engine numbers. Do they all line up? (Mine do not!) The issue with this is you end up looking for parts for your VIN year that don't match your engine year(s). So, ordering the correct parts can be a huge pain. If I ever see one for sale this will be the first thing I check.

In my case, I'd love to find a '75(ish) 2F swap. I am in love with this '40 though, I have learned a ton over the past 3 months getting her (I think it's a her) road ready. Getting her to pass the state inspection meant somebody else agreed that she's safe.

Yes, I still have a laundry list of stuff to fix/replace but it's a labor of love.
Engine and vin numbers do not match

So, I bought a rusty truck that needed a little mechanical work when I bought my FJ40 25 or so years ago.
Engine was rebuilt, transmission was swapped, but the body finally rusted out about 5 years ago. Its in pieces in my garage, currently. Looking at the costs of a new body (aqualu 10" stretched), refreshing or upgradeing the mechanicals (From 2F/SM420 → 1HD-FT/H55F). Its... Not going to be cheap.... And likely going to sit for another 10 years...

In retrospect, I wish I would have been more patient and found something with a better tub.

Right, but my point is they should be in the ball park. From the VIN you can get model year, from the engine number you can get date of manufacture.
Yes, i know that, and you just recently learned that. Its the way you said it, is misleading to others that may see this thread in their quest to make a first time purchase of one.
The engine number shares nothing in common with the vin, unless you have an engine number chart showing block numbers and months/years made.
The vin will not necessarily tell the model year, but rather the year of manufacture...in a few months of the years, the year of manufacture is not the model year.

This one isn't to far away from you.

It's definitely had some rust repairs: rear sill has evenly spaced holes and isn't stock, lower portion of right rear quarter panel appears to have been trimmed, bed is black and not blue as it should be, window defroster pieces are body colored.

Overall it looks solid though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom