Visiting Latin America, considering buying truck to drive home. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stock or "restored" you will get :
mixed parts of different years , scary weld and strange repair made with whatever handy , also the wiring will probably be a mess, and no vehicle history

Those thing also happen in NA , i'm guilty of most of that on my own 40 🤠

Maybe better to bring back a latina 😆

Ask this question in the 70 section. There is a lot of experience there with doing just this, and multiple posters that live in SA and know the hurdles. One guy's made the trip multiple times. It's incredibly hard, largely because of the border crossings, and you being an American trying to export a vehicle from another country. This is going to drive the officials bonkers.

South American Land Cruisers are a story all unto themselves. Search for similar threads. Starting your post with "I'm not sure what I'm looking at" is a recipe for heartbreak. Just buy a truck here and drive it down THERE. If that seems too expensive or difficult, then you're looking through the binoculars backwards.

The real good ones in these countries has been tucked away years ago by local landcruiser fanatics for years.

Most that I've seen were after some sort of restoration, and most of the complaints about them seem to be the lack of quality in restoring.

While I'm sure many have seen some hard use, compared to some of the trucks I've seen from Canada, where they have plows mounted and driven around on salty roads (with frames rusting through), I'm sure some of those SA trucks ain't too bad a place to start a good restoration, if the price was right...

I agree compared to Canada South of border 40 series probably aren't that bad. What the difference is the market is not being flooded with restored cruisers from Canada. Rust is usually so bad Canada is not worth restoring plus they have enough people looking for 40 series locally. But really it's the number of restored 40 series from south of the border that makes the difference. A lot easier to weld a cracked frame from hard use compared to one that looks like Swiss Cheese. One thing Canada has over Central and South America is the 10/82+ BJ42 with a five speed. Never seen one of those imported from south of the border.

Check into California’s import and smog laws. I imagine this would be a nightmare.

Stock or "restored" you will get :
mixed parts of different years , scary weld and strange repair made with whatever handy , also the wiring will probably be a mess, and no vehicle history

Those thing also happen in NA , i'm guilty of most of that on my own 40 🤠

Maybe better to bring back a latina 😆
Haha sure, but their wiring can also be messed up, and they might even have a few strange repairs too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom