Costa Rican BJ40 is now home. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up the BJ40 Saturday. Engine runs great, tranny shifts fine, hubs lock and unlock smoothly, transfer case shifts well, It has brakes modified to discs all 4. Power steering added as well.
Issues are brakes need some service as they pull mightily to the right. The steering is a bit frightening. the Power steering pump is located right behind the front bumper and there are 2 u joints along the way from wheel to box. Probably 5" play and a might clunk coming of center. She tracks well so alignment is good and cruises at 90-100 kph just fine.
The steering issues is my big worry. I'd like to keep power (being over 70yrs old) so, any advice there to get me going? Still need to get a source for filters and stuff.
Thanks in advance. I'm attaching the data plate pic and the adjustment info on the valve cover for the B engine for entertainment.

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

We need pics of the steering components and frt end so we can see how it's put together.

5" (~125mm) isn't a huge amount, 75mm would be good.
You might be able to adjust the box to reduce it but it's probable that the slack is in the joints, and maybe the box was already over adjusted so I'd be wary.
Pump up all the grease nipples before you start.

X2 there would holes to attach the plaque. Would not be a color name just a paint code.
I kinda figured that it was not the original Data Plate. But the VIN is the same as that stamped on the chassis and the state has issued a title. You're right as I've never seen the color spelled out; always shown as a # on any vehicle I've ever owned.
there were photos of the majority of body panels being replaced while it was still in CR so that's probably when it was change to the stick on type.

I would look the frame and crossmember over very carefully. the way the crossmember looks cut, cracking could be an issue.
hard to see from the pic, but the frame should have a plate on the inside along with the sleeves.
need pics under the hood, wonder what the shaft looks like along with the connection between them

the data plate doesn't look stamped to me, looks like someone was very careful with a dremel type tool. the letters are shaky not clean like a stamp

I agree & Double nuts? Plus it looks like the box studs/pedestals are just welded to the frame. Usually a scab plate is used for reinforcement. We need more pics to help diagnose your steering issues.

If it pulls to the right when braking, try bleeding your brakes. It might help. Also have to make sure the calipers are binding. Another sign that gives it away the brake pad will prematurely wear out before the other side.

From what I see everything looks very nice, but the welded to frame studs/bolts to hold the steering box gives me the heebie jeebies. You just don't know how good those 4 little welds are. A scab plate, welded all the way around, with bolts and nuts, is far more secure and durable from vibration and torquing. Is the 5" of slop before the box or after the box (in the tie rod ends or drag link)? You should be able to wiggle the wheel back and forth to see the pitman arm move or not. Got pics of the steering input shaft and 2 u-joints to the column? That might be where the slop is if it isn't properly supported.

You can see The welds are the sleeves going thru the frame so it should be fine doesn't look bad.
Ahhh, I see the bolt heads now on the outside of the frame--much better way to go.

Yea its still probably worth revisiting it though given its importance.

How's the Diesel engine going? Really happy with my H, I imagine the B is just as solid and virtually unstoppable?

To all- thanks for the comments and advice. Steering- the slop is the the intermediate shaft it turns out. Driving around our small town and on the 80 mile trip from pick up point presented no tracking or turning issues. She goes where I point her fine. There will be a disassembly/inspection and repair/replacement happening this weekend. At least a start on it.
Brakes- tomorrow will see her on Jack stands, wheels off brakes inspected and cleaned, all hard a flexible lines inspected and if all well there’ll be a bleeding done.
As to the 3 motor, all I can say is that it runs OK. Much to learn on diesels. She blows blue/gray at start up for about a minute. Clear while driving and a wisp at idle. Really want to get a source for filters and part numbers for glow plugs and injector. How do other BJ LC folks get there stuff??
Again thanks for all the helpful comments and advice. Folks in town swarm about when I park at the hardware store. Kinda fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom