TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL That is correct from a geographical standpoint as @jfz80 can attest but my budgets have always been bound pretty tight! Big thanks to Jason for helping with another Landcruiser retrieval.

@Comet this was my stepdads 80 that I found and baselined for him a couple years ago. He wanted one to leave in West Virginia (where we’re from originally) so he would have it to take wheeling when he or I visited family still there. He had a 40 when he met my mom in ‘86 and would take us wheeling in it when I was a kid. He always enjoyed that and it gave me the LandCruiser bug. The fall of ‘19 he developed some fairly major health problems. He probably won’t be able to ever drive again much less wheel it. We left it there for a couple of years so family could still wheel it in the mountains. I finally decided to go get it for some TLC and a couple more mods.

The lift was @lumbee1 old Dobinson/Fox combo. Really loving it so far. The ARB came from @Ncrunner4x4 when he installed a short bus front bumper. I started a thread about this 80 when it was purchased, I need to dig it up and update it.

Not the best before and after pics but compared to my white 80 on heavies it’s noticeably taller and that’s with the black one on 285’s while the white is on 315’s.

View attachment 2706106

View attachment 2706107

View attachment 2706108
Looking good! Should be ordering step sliders soon so if still in need of rock sliders I will make you a deal on the ones we discussed on my 40th 80.

Looking good! Should be ordering step sliders soon so if still in need of rock sliders I will make you a deal on the ones we discussed on my 40th 80.
Absolutely! I’ll send you a PM

Anyone experienced with using these Lever-nuts Connectors? Seemed like the newest way to do make connections. Doing some work on the 43 and was reading an European forum about them. Of course, they use metric electricity, but seemed worth looking into.

Model: KV222-212/213/214/215
Rated Voltage: 250V
Rated Current: 32A
Spring: Nickel Chromium Alloy Steel
Solid Wire: 0.08~4mm² (28-12AWG)
Stranded Wire: 0.08~4mm² (28-12AWG)
Flexible Wire: 0.08~2.5mm² (28-14AWG)
Max Operating Temperature: 95℃

Amazon product ASIN B08TW792CS

It’s the modern equivalent of a wire nut. Designed for household wiring. Legal in some states and not in others yet. Super easy to use but some are way more compact than others. There are also some that are permanent via the push connection so they lack the levers.

I wouldn’t use any that are that inexpensive for 120v wiring. My house is worth a name brand.

That being said, I know you’re asking about using them on your truck. I won’t comment on that.

I tried some in a remodel, and changed them out. When I pushed everything in the back of the box, some wires came out of the conectors....

356F70C1-35B6-40E1-9574-C294D4903103.jpeg

CB805E86-1D25-489F-8869-03853B1D4463.jpeg

I posted these on Facebook, so some of you have seen them already. Confirmed what I already knew about the DS rear axle shaft, that I broke at GSMTR. I thought I broke the other side as well, but it seems perfectly fine, which worries me a little bit about the rear locker, since I had it locked, but the PS rear wheel wasn’t getting power. Hoping it’s just bad contact for the compressor relay. Fingers crossed!!

Now I need to figure out how to use chromoly rear axle shafts that aren’t really designed for this specific axle housing. Hoping it’s as simple as just finding an axle seal with the right dimensions, since the area where the seal contacts the axle shaft is different. The other dimensions should all be the same.

The LC is down for a hot minute, so I'm doing some cleaning and touching up.

Last night stitched a steering wheel cover on.

20210710_223741.jpg

This morning vinyl'd the TOYOTA lettering with the American/Japanese flag. Sprayed it with some clear coat. Came out as a quick win, but will peel off over time. . .back to the drawing board.

20210711_102353.jpg

In preparation for CMCC.
Did some much needed maintenance on the tow rig

also
Replaced dif fluid ffrom both thirds on the crawler and replaced the s***ty stock breathers.
I replaced the steering wheel with a removable type. This will make it much easier to get in and out of the crawler. I guess it could work as an anti theft device as well.
before GSMTR i also made some quick half doors for it ur had not posted those up.
I guess I should start a build thread on the new rig.
7E797CEC-23CD-4BA4-BA04-84E53A34ADD4.jpeg
6C26D1DB-0464-4CBC-9420-9A123F02438D.jpeg
A29C9207-0095-49E3-9C4B-345D075F3A40.jpeg
847B8B5F-F241-4293-8FF1-6EF0DE13A291.jpeg

I put my SC430 HID projectors into some new Lexus LX470 glass headlights & added some Weathertech clear film
View attachment 2729496View attachment 2729497
Love to see proper retrofits. I have Acura TSX projectors in mine since I couldn't find SC430 projectors when I was looking years ago. The best thing I have done to my truck by a long shot.

What did you use in your high beams? LED?

@Hokie LX
I totally agree. A proper HID retrofit makes a world of difference.
I have the Morimoto D2S 1.0 in my 80 and it's not even in the same ballpark as to useable output of the SC430 projectors with Denso ballasts.

The High/ DRL bulb is the Morimoto Stroke 2.0 LED. It has a special resistor with sub-harness that a mud member on the 100 forum makes & @Luke111 sells them.

TRS also sells just the LED bulbs. They are up to the 3.0 version now.

Last edited:
After zip ties, jb weld, duct tape, and thoughts and prayers; I made the courageous decision to remove my flares. Im looking to see if anyone wants to weld up some holes for me?

06BC60BE-E877-4FC0-806F-4910FF3F5201.jpeg

After zip ties, jb weld, duct tape, and thoughts and prayers; I made the courageous decision to remove my flares. Im looking to see if anyone wants to weld up some holes for me?

View attachment 2730479
If you'll drop by, I'll do it for the price of the old flares

If you'll drop by, I'll do it for the price of the old flares
Thanks, found someone thats also gonna paint but you can have the flares. Ive gotten enough from members over the years the years that I can pay it forward. The front passenger was split in two, and one of the two/four back ones had some damage but the rest were pretty good.

Thanks, found someone thats also gonna paint but you can have the flares. Ive gotten enough from members over the years the years that I can pay it forward. The front passenger was split in two, and one of the two/four back ones had some damage but the rest were pretty good.
Patrick, Good to hear you got both jobs done at once. I was hoping for the front right; that one was ripped off my son's fender in a parking lot. He has the rest, so I think I'll let someone else try to make use of them.

I don't always use a lathe to rebuild my tractor engine, but when I need it, it's sure nice to have. Now if I could just figure out how to stretch the bed so I can get the 1FZ-FE crank on it...

crankshaft turning.jpg

Well, Relic Run always seems like a blast until I leave with out a Relic. Problem solved. Now I have to figure out how to make three into one. The more I have to do, the quieter I get. Who woulda thunk I’d stoop to this level……rhetorical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom